Taylor Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taylor Camp

In the late sixties - early seventies, a bunch of hippies, surfers, and others lived alternative lifestyles on the North Shore of Kauai in tree houses.
    A documentary will be shown at the Hawaii Theatre on Sunday July 13th at 2pm. (only 1 showing)

http://honoluluweekly.com/cover/

"n the late 1960s and early ’70s, Kaua’i’s north shore was a home to a thriving–and notorious–community of hippies, surfers, seekers, backpackers and other cultural refugees looking to live free and easy by the sea. Thirty-odd years later, Taylor Camp is immortalized in a new film and two soon-to-be published books."

Check it out if you can! I gotta work. Bummer Man!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: Dwelling on it - Taylor Camp Kauai

I just put in for that day off!
    I don't want to miss this, no how.

It's only being shown once here (Oahu) and once on the Big Island.
    Not Kauai???

Comment

Re: Taylor Camp

I just got back from buying 4 tickets at the Hawaii Theatre (Downtown).
      Sure love having a moped... never any parking problems!

Advance tickets are $10 + $3 "restoration fee" = $13 each
      Tickets at the door are $12 + (etc.)

Taking a friend and my God Kids!

Comment

I can't wait to see this movie!! Does anyone know what the parking situation is like at Hawaii Theatre?
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Taylor Camper's wouldn't pay $13, even to see themselves...

There is nearby Mark's Garage, accross the street on Pauahi, or the lot behind it. There's a PG accross from Macy's on the same street as HT.
          Pretty much street parking after that, for nearby.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Isn't there public parking in the new Pflueger dealership building? If so, that is within walking distance.
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I heard of Taylor Camp "wen small kid time" on Kauai. Wasn't it named after their leader who I was told was related to Elizabeth Taylor? Taylor Camp was the teased punchline for any classmate who smell kusai and no wash wash. There wasn't the possibility that a classmate would be from Taylor Camp as they were located on the North Shore at Hanalei and attended their own Elementary School. If we made fun of any kid for being poor, our parents would slap our head.

Comment

Jus' a reminder that today's the day.
                If you wish to see this "far out" documentary. HaHa!

Comment

What a choice movie!
                  I thoroughly enjoyed it and it seems everyone else did too.
                  Told the whole story of how it began all the way through the ending.
                  I loved the old photos, stories and present day interviews of folks that were there.
                  Importantly showing not only the positive but negatives also.
                  Eventually a DVD will come out. I know I'm getting it to share.

My God Kids liked it too!

Ahhh, the good ole days...

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                    I just put in for that day off!
                    I don't want to miss this, no how.

It's only being shown once here (Oahu) and once on the Big Island.
                    Not Kauai???

It was shown on Kauai about three weeks ago, both shows were sold out. (Great Sound track.) Reminded me of the Woodstock of the Pacific. Met a couple of older dudes that were in the film at a beach party in Hanalei on Saturday they are still here ~ living on the North Shore. If you're ever on Kauai Thursday nights at Tahiti Nue are like a Taylor Camp reunion.
                    "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

It's just a matter of time before this movie shows up for free hopefully on PBS Hawaii or some other local TV station.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by greentara View Post
                        It was shown on Kauai about three weeks ago, both shows were sold out. (Great Sound track.) Reminded me of the Woodstock of the Pacific. Met a couple of older dudes that were in the film at a beach party in Hanalei on Saturday they are still here ~ living on the North Shore. If you're ever on Kauai Thursday nights at Tahiti Nue are like a Taylor Camp reunion.

Sooo cool to hear that it did play on Kauai!

Any talk around about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                          Sooo cool to hear that it did play on Kauai!

Any talk around about it?
                          People were elated when they were leaving the theater, the young folks as well as the local Taylor Camp people. The Camp vibe lives on here on Kauai

Let me know what you think when you see the film. I first heard of Taylor Camp while living in Marin County, CA. I used to "house sit" my friends home while she and her son made the pilgrimage to Kauai in the summer to stay at the Camp. Those were extraordinary times from California to Goya ~ there were many “Taylor Camps” in the world.

"When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Have footage of the Taylor Camp on old 16mm film, didn't know until very recently they were making a film about them.

Aj

Comment

They're showing it again today (Tuesday 7/15/08) 2pm @ The Hawaii Theatre!
                              http://starbulletin.com/2008/07/12/f...s/story01.html
                              See it if you can!!!

Also Kalihi Boy, try and contact them because the movie is actually "A work in progress" and they even asked for photos and the like from then.

Comment

Working...
                              X