Hip restaurants. Anyone know of any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hip restaurants. Anyone know of any?

I'm taking a friend out to dinner on Friday where we "kinda" dress up since we're both from the leeward side (going downtown to a nice dinner is a pretty big thing). Nice longsleeve, dark jeans. her: maybe a summer dress or something idk. But what im looking for is some kinda hip place to go out and eat in the downtown area; Waikiki, Alamoana, downtown downtown. Keep in mind we're both 20 so something a lil age appropriate please

I heard there was this new fusion sushi place in waikiki that was supposed to be pretty cool, but idk what its called. Can anyone help me with that?

haha Anyway, if someone can help me out with this much Mahalos and thanks.
    I hope to be a Biochemist someday

Re: Hip restaurants. Anyone know of any?

Compadres (good Mexican food) in Ward Center may be the thing, but get a window table to enjoy the ocean view, or you can stroll thru the complex and nearby Ward Warehouse until you find something similarly appropriate.
    Most of these joints are reasonably priced, and Compares is a known 'hip' spot.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by PBatoon View Post
      I'm taking a friend out to dinner on Friday where we "kinda" dress up since we're both from the leeward side (going downtown to a nice dinner is a pretty big thing). Nice longsleeve, dark jeans. her: maybe a summer dress or something idk. But what im looking for is some kinda hip place to go out and eat in the downtown area; Waikiki, Alamoana, downtown downtown. Keep in mind we're both 20 so something a lil age appropriate please

I heard there was this new fusion sushi place in waikiki that was supposed to be pretty cool, but idk what its called. Can anyone help me with that?

haha Anyway, if someone can help me out with this much Mahalos and thanks.
      It's Doraku Sushi in the Royal Hawaii Shopping Center. I'm not hip just know the name! I think Compadre's stinks but then again, I'm not hip. I've always hated their food, I can say that in 1985 I saw Lisa Bonet there.....

Comment

Where's Christa when we need her? She'd know every, single, hip spot on the island!

Hmmm...I've never thought of Compadres as particularly hip but I haven't been there is a few years so maybe it's changed.

My younger clients tend to hang out at the newer places along Nuuanu Ave. or Hotel St. Yes...Hotel St. I've been to several client get-togethers at most of those spots but I can't recall the names. Christa would know in a heart beat!

Comment

OK OK, delete Compadres from the world of possibilities.
          I've never actually eaten there, but heard a bunch of fu fu's say blah blah over the years and figuered it to be so. Shoot me.

Hank's on Nuuanu Ave. is quiet, with awright food, to me it's rather 'hip', and the jazz room above will probably be happening on Friday.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Where's Christa when we need her? She'd know every, single, hip spot on the island!

Hmmm...I've never thought of Compadres as particularly hip but I haven't been there is a few years so maybe it's changed.

My younger clients tend to hang out at the newer places along Nuuanu Ave. or Hotel St. Yes...Hotel St. I've been to several client get-togethers at most of those spots but I can't recall the names. Christa would know in a heart beat!
            Until she gets here, we can settle for Christa's favorite places to go!
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Compadres has a great selection of tequilas, hot sauces and Mexican beers. They even have an easy-on-the-eyes feeding frenzy every Taco Tuesday ($1 tacos and $2 maggies). But I wouldn't go so far as to keyword them "hip."

Doraku Sushi has gotten mixed reviews (here and here) and their decor seems to outpace their food. A better option on a Friday might be Okonomi Cuisine Kai (flickr set) on Makaloa. They pull off the hat trick by getting high marks in every category. The crowd aesthetic doesn't disappoint, either.
              "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Dang you guys are awsome! Thanks for the great responses. and thanks for that list! Anyone else got more suggestions?

Comment

May I suggest Du Vin or Soul de Cuba downtown?

I love to eat at both of those places...and there are plenty nice bars around both of those places for after-dinner drinks, like Bar 35, Dragon Upstairs, 39 Hotel, Indigo...

And that area is where all the trendy hipsters hang out, so everybody will be dressed up for Fri night.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
                    May I suggest Du Vin or Soul de Cuba downtown?

I love to eat at both of those places...and there are plenty nice bars around both of those places for after-dinner drinks, like Bar 35, Dragon Upstairs, 39 Hotel, Indigo...

And that area is where all the trendy hipsters hang out, so everybody will be dressed up for Fri night.
                    Hear, hear! I second Miss Vodka's suggestions. You might also want to try Chao Chaosorie's at Aloha Tower Marketplace? I'm sure I spelled that wrong!
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

pssssst...pbatoon and lady friend are both under 21. Oh, gawd, I'm sounding like a mother!

Comment

LOL. I wondered if anyone else would catch that. Du Vin, Bar 35, Next Door, Indigo, etc. aren't much fun if you aren't of legal age.
                        "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Dave & Busters?

pax

Comment

Not exactly hips, but HOOTERS have dam fine wings.

Comment

yeah...unfortunately we're under 21. shucks cause those sound like really great places to go out and have a nice dinner

Comment

Working...
                              X