Thread: iPod Caching

Default iPod Caching

No the iPod doesn't have GPS capabilities but it does have the ability to store txt files on it. Due to that fact, I have written a bash script that will write valuable cache information (title, size, hint , etc. etc.) into a txt file and format it as well. It's fairly easy to use but I have detailed the instructions in the readme file. The only drawback is that this is only for mac users.

(I know that you can just print out a piece of paper with all that info, but this is more fun IMO)

------------------------------------------------------
    Also on gc.com, i am bdan44 not BWL2 anymore.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: iPod Caching

Quote Originally Posted by backwoodlessons2 View Post
    No the iPod doesn't have GPS capabilities but it does have the ability to store txt files on it. Due to that fact, I have written a bash script that will write valuable cache information (title, size, hint , etc. etc.) into a txt file and format it as well. It's fairly easy to use but I have detailed the instructions in the readme file. The only drawback is that this is only for mac users.

(I know that you can just print out a piece of paper with all that info, but this is more fun IMO)

Thanks but we are PC. But we've got Cachemate that does that same thing.

On this subject, I had a chance to play with the Garmin Colorado today. Wow, that is one cool unit. It uploads the waypoints, cache pages, and notes right out of the GPX file.

Post Re: iPod Caching

Quote Originally Posted by Team GeoBlast View Post
    Thanks but we are PC. But we've got Cachemate that does that same thing.

I had a chance to play with the Garmin Colorado today.
    Cool ! Which Colorado did ya get? Inquiring minds wanna know !

Hey did you guys see the new Garmin Oregon?!? Ooooo... Touchscreen

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=14904
    Never, Never Give Up
    - Churchill
    Never, Never Grow Up
    - Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by GeoGerms View Post
    Hey did you guys see the new Garmin Oregon?!? Ooooo... Touchscreen

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=14904
    I'm waiting for the Garmin Alabama! Hope everyone is well.

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Roader View Post
    Cool ! Which Colorado did ya get? Inquiring minds wanna know !
    Get?

No, I got to hold somebodys Colorado but I had to give it back. In fact, I think he was a little concerned with me holding on to it for too long. It has an "apple like" interface which I found pretty cool. I really liked the downloaded cache page right on the GPS.

Until I find a good trail GPS that I can make a phone call and surf the internet with, I'll stick with what I have.

Getting back to the original topic.... I'd like to thank Brendan for sharing his work with us. I will go take a look when I get a chance. I have not really figured out how the "note" function works on the ipod so this might help me out! I've been copying cache pages and then emailing them to myself so that I have them on my phone. Photo clues I add as attachments. I have a separate yahoo email just for the purpose. It is a little work but it does the job.

Found an error while using this in the field. I've updated it (added 1 word). Viola
    Attached Files Attached Files
    backwoodlessons2

I found this script for the iPod if anyone is interested in trying it out:

http://www.hyper-world.de/en/computer-2/gpx2ipod/