Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Local TV Ads You Like

Default Re: Local TV Ads You Like

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Nope...not Blaine. That's my friend Davo!
    Aha. Thanks, Tutu. But they do kinda sorta look alike a little bit, don't they? Or am I waaaaay wrong?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Knowing Davo and having sat next to Blaine at the HT Christmas party, all I can say is they both have dark hair!

I LOVE...
    The Hawaiian Airlines commercial featuring Halau Mohala Ilima - hearing Aunty Mapuana and seeing the wahine prepare for their performance at Merrie Monarch last year and the closing shots of Kapalai competing for Miss Aloha Hula - all in HD! Hoah bah... Chicken skin!!

I haven't been able to locate the ad online...
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Certainly not for its production value, but the Frank De Lima ads for TheCab are very effective. How many taxi phone numbers do you know by memory? I experienced this when a consultant asked at the end of the day if I knew a taxi that he could call. I could only think of one.

I loooove this Hawaiian Host commercial with Raiatea Helm. She's got that 1920s 'flapper' look going... except with... um... cleavage.

Raiatea's spot has been pulled from YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    Raiatea's spot has been pulled from YouTube.
    I just clicked on my link again after seeing your comment, and the commercial is still there. Maybe you can't see it on a Mac?

I just clicked on my link again after seeing your comment, and the commercial is still there. Maybe you can't see it on a Mac?
    "We're sorry, this video is no longer available"
    White lettering on black screen...not the usual copyright infringement message above the video screen.
    Could Mac vs PC really make a difference on YouTube?

"We're sorry, this video is no longer available"
    White lettering on black screen...not the usual copyright infringement message above the video screen. Could Mac vs PC really make a difference on YouTube?
    Very strange! I just now tried my link again... and it worked fine again. Guess we'll have to see what other HTers say after they try it, and hopefully they'll let us know if they're on Mac or PC.
    Tutu, what happens if you go to YouTube's main page and put Raiatea Helm into the seach box, then scroll down to the Hawaiian Host commercial. Does that way work for you?

[...]
    Tutu, what happens if you go to YouTube's main page and put Raiatea Helm into the seach box, then scroll down to the Hawaiian Host commercial. Does that way work for you?
    Nope...get same "We're sorry..." message. Weird.

I just saw the spot on TV so my only curiosity stems from the YouTube message.

Very strange! I just now tried my link again... and it worked fine again. Guess we'll have to see what other HTers say after they try it, and hopefully they'll let us know if they're on Mac or PC.
    I have both a PC and a Mac. I tried the Mac connection and got the same message that Tutusue got. I tried my PC and the video ran just fine. So I guess it's a Mac problem. Bummers!

Thanks for checking, Honoruru. Very strange, 'cuz I've never had this problem with YouTube before. Didn't even know it could discriminate between Macs and PCs!

Must be some kind of "Big Brother" thing. Or maybe Apple should sue YouTube for discrimination. Anyway, thanks for checking it out, Honoruru.
    And Tutu, did you get that 'flappers' feeling from her look?

[...]
    And Tutu, did you get that 'flappers' feeling from her look?
    Well...not really...probably 'cuz, during small kid times, I saw so many flapper era photos! Those photos were recent history at that point in time!

I loooove this Hawaiian Host commercial with Raiatea Helm. She's got that 1920s 'flapper' look going... except with... um... cleavage.
    That's the white elephant in the room when you were in high school and a classmate sprout those things over summer. But in high school, guys would come out and say what are those white elephants.

sorry to divert from Raitea...................

but, I really like the public storage commercial where the helmets do the Haka and show support of UH football. They are really just very cute!

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    sorry to divert from Raitea...................

but, I really like the public storage commercial where the helmets do the Haka and show support of UH football. They are really just very cute!
    That was done by Bluewater Multimedia, headed by Ben Leong. He won a Pele Award last year for a Taco Bell spot.

A local NAPA commercial has the Sports Animals' Gary Dickman as an outta shape basketball player on the bench.

Burger King's "Square Butt" ad. The original song was so disguesting, and I think the fact that marketing is now using the "butts" song to sell a burger is a classic example of how low our society has sunken. That is why I like it - it makes fools of us foolish consumers. American consumers are idiots, advertisers know it, and the "Square Butt" ad illustrates it so well.
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

<whisper> Psssst, Amati...that's not a local commercial! Thank goodness! </whisper>

<whisper> Psssst, Amati...that's not a local commercial! Thank goodness! </whisper>
    Oh, yes true. I just got so excited about the chance to complain about foolish consumers that I wasn't paying attention to the thread title.
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Dr. View Post
    That one was cute the first time, but now it just grates on my nerves.

"I know you home!"
    There was a national ad with the catch phrase, "Where you at?"
    Was there a local commercial with a catch phrase, "Where you stay?"

I like the HECO commercial with the man crooning to his favorite "oldies" tunes in the shower. I'm assuming that by making slight changes to the lyrics and singing only one line to each song, no royalties had to be paid. Clever.

The songs are:

Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
    Ticket To Ride
    Good Vibrations
    More Than A Woman
    My Sharona

Any song that I missed?

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by bueller555 View Post
    Certainly not for its production value, but the Frank De Lima ads for TheCab are very effective. How many taxi phone numbers do you know by memory? I experienced this when a consultant asked at the end of the day if I knew a taxi that he could call. I could only think of one.
    except that it's so close to the Unemployment Telenet number of 643-2222 which is really close to Pizza Hut's statewide number of 643-1111
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by Amati View Post
    Burger King's "Square Butt" ad. The original song was so disguesting, and I think the fact that marketing is now using the "butts" song to sell a burger is a classic example of how low our society has sunken. That is why I like it - it makes fools of us foolish consumers. American consumers are idiots, advertisers know it, and the "Square Butt" ad illustrates it so well.
    But boy oh boy did you remember that ad didn't ya! And that's exactly what marketers want you to do.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast