Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who Should Be Obama’s VP?

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    You need to put Joe Biden's quote about Hillary Clinton into its proper context. Biden made his statement when someone at a Democratic fundraiser took a swipe at Clinton and said he was glad she wasn't selected as Barack Obama's running mate. So he said what he said to defend Hillary.

Keep in mind: the primary campaign is over. Obama is no longer running against Clinton. The Obama camp is doing it's best to reach out to Hillary's supporters and to unify the Democratic Party. Biden concurring with someone making a derogatory remark about the former First Lady isn't the best way of making peace with the Clintonites, don'cha think?

But yeah, leave it to someone in McCain's camp to try and twist Biden's words around. After this whole lipstick fiasco, I think voters will start getting fed up with pundits who twist every little thing the candidates say instead of focusing on the issues that really matter, like the economy, healthcare, national security, Iraq, etc.
    No, you misunderstood me, Myopic. I don't have a dog in this fight. I understand the context of Biden's comment completely; my point is that comments like that can be used by his opponents by taking it out of context (as with the lipstick-pig one was done briefly yesterday). Politics is a bloodsport, and Hillary knew how to take on her opponents like a grand competitor/athlete; I don't see Obama having that same "go for the jugular" that politicians seem to require in this day and age. That may say something about Obama and his higher moral character, but it may be the thing that keeps him from winning this race. That's my only point, Joe. Don't throw me in your silly partisan battle here on the HT board; it bores the hell out of me. As I said before, our country is screwed no matter who gets in.
    * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
    - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
      No, you misunderstood me, Myopic. --- That's my only point, Joe.
      (Don't worry, U`ilani - we know you meant Frankie's Market, not MyopicJoe.)

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
        No, you misunderstood me, Myopic. I don't have a dog in this fight. I understand the context of Biden's comment completely; my point is that comments like that can be used by his opponents by taking it out of context (as with the lipstick-pig one was done briefly yesterday).
        My name is not Joe, but you are quoting me. So I will respond in turn.

If you understand the context, then I don't understand your making a big deal out of Biden's statement.

As I said, if the Republicans keep taking Obama/Biden's statements out of context and twisting their words,..... this strategy of putting the Democratic ticket on the defensive and distracting them from their campaign message will get old very quickly. Just as the McCain campaign won't be able to get away with screaming "Sexism!" every time the media reports a less-than-flattering story about Palin. If the GOP persists in these tactics, sooner or later, there will be a backlash from the media.

Earlier in the primary campaign, the cast at Saturday Night Live did a humorous sketch that shed light on the media's initial infatuation with Barack Obama. Then later, when it was obvious that Hillary no longer had a shot at the Democratic nomination, SNL made fun of Clinton being in denial of reality. I think it's only fair that the not-ready-for-primetime crew take a shot at the McCain/Palin ticket.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

After this whole lipstick fiasco, I think voters will start getting fed up with pundits who twist every little thing the candidates say instead of focusing on the issues that really matter, like the economy, healthcare, national security, Iraq, etc.
          If the GOP persists in these tactics, sooner or later, there will be a backlash from the media.
          I really hope you are right, FM - but I have my doubts. I am constantly astounded by what the "average" American voter will swallow, and how weak the "media" has become. Our nation, sadly, gives more interest to "American Idol" than to "American Democracy," and as others are fond of saying, we end up with the government we deserve.

We get mad - but we never really change anything. The glory period of the American Empire is behind us, and history will eventually show that we are now in the corpulent and crumbling latter-days.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            I really hope you are right, FM - but I have my doubts. I am constantly astounded by what the "average" American voter will swallow, and how weak the "media" has become.
            There's already been a strong pushback from some political commentators who are calling out the McCain campaign for its use of phony outrage over the "lipstick-on-a-pig" remark. The best reaction from yesterday was Hardball's Chris Matthews. Check it out.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036697/

We get mad - but we never really change anything. The glory period of the American Empire is behind us, and history will eventually show that we are now in the corpulent and crumbling latter-days.
            If that's the case, then why even bother voting? Why even get into passionate debates about politics? Why even care about who gets elected, from president all the way down to your state representative?

If things are ever to get better, it starts with people "caring." It doesn't start with attitudes of indifference or cyncism.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

If that's the case, then why even bother voting? Why even get into passionate debates about politics? Why even care about who gets elected, from president all the way down to your state representative?
              Because some of us are crazily optimistic, in addition to being cynical.

Comment

If that's the case, then why even bother voting?
                To hasten the fall of an empire.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

If things are ever to get better, it starts with people "caring." It doesn't start with attitudes of indifference or cyncism.
                  I vote because I'm hoping for a cure for my cynicism.
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

This may sound condescending, but I think you are missing Leo’s underlying point here. The implication is that procuring passionate debate about politics and caring about who gets elected are necessary in a democratic society. But that’s not enough. One of the reasons I respect timkona despite the fact that I disagree with his opinions on the issues nearly 70% of the time, is he puts his money where his mouth is. Running for office is no easy task, and one that most of us will never even consider attempting in our lifetimes.

But that’s the only way real change can be initiated. We should do all the things you advocate and donate our money and our time to campaign for these individuals. We should get journalism degrees and practice investigative reporting. We should be community organizers, like Obama, and mobilize a base of new independent thinkers. We should get law degrees and take on large corporations and elements of the New World Order that control our federal government. And God forbid it should ever come to it, we should be prepared to take up arms against our government and revolt against it, like our forefathers said may be necessary, if our government has become so powerful and oppressive as to contradict the very principles it was founded on.

We underestimate the urgency of the decisions being made at this immediate moment. At least the Roman Empire had a long and proud history. Will the Country Formerly Known as the United States of America™ simply be a flash of brilliance in an otherwise dark period?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Thank you, FM, for asking. Thank you, TuNnL, for understanding. Thank you, matapule, for the wonderful answer (that I wish I had said).

Oh - and thank you, Random, for the answer that made me smirk.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        This may sound condescending, but I think you are missing Leo’s underlying point here. The implication is that procuring passionate debate about politics and caring about who gets elected are necessary in a democratic society. But that’s not enough.
                        You're right, that isn't enough. But I never said it was.

In fact, you failed to quote my last statement, which contains a key word.

Note that I said it starts with caring. I didn't say that it started and ended there.

If anyone sincerely wants to make a difference in society, whether it be running for political office, being a teacher or a social worker, being a pastor/minister, or whatever, it all starts with that person initially caring and THEN, taking positive action on that initial attitude.

Comment

If anyone sincerely wants to make a difference in society, whether it be running for political office, being a teacher or a social worker, being a pastor/minister, or whatever, it all starts with that person initially caring and THEN, taking positive action on that initial attitude.
                          And some of us earn our cynicism by having taken action for years. Sometimes, we just get tired of the fight, and hope to see others take it up for a while, and do more than just whine about it.

Comment

And some of us earn our cynicism by having taken action for years. Sometimes, we just get tired of the fight, and hope to see others take it up for a while, and do more than just whine about it.
                            People get burned out and/or disillusioned for various reasons. If it happens, then hey, we're only human. Far be it from me to pass judgement on anyone.

But you have those special people who, despite the ups and downs of life, make public service a lifelong avocation. Sure, folks know about the famous ones like Mother Theresa and Rosa Parks. But there are thousands of others just like them, who never get recognition, but in their own ways, big and small, have done their part to make their communities and this country a better place to live.

Dare I say it? In this person's humble opinion, Ah Quon McElrath has touched more people's lives in this state than many a state legislator or city councilman. I truly believe that.

Comment

NEVER give up, NEVER give up, NEVER give up!

What's the difference between a matapule and a 240 pound pitbull? A funny name!
                              Last edited by matapule; September 12, 2008, 05:07 AM.
                              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

But there are thousands of others just like them, who never get recognition, but in their own ways, big and small, have done their part to make their communities and this country a better place to live.
                                Originally posted by matapule View Post
                                NEVER give up, NEVER give up, NEVER give up!
                                Ah, encouragement --- better'n caffeine! Mahalo.

Comment

Working...
                                X