Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who Should Be Obama’s VP?

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Well, what is Biden, then? He's as old guard as they come. He's been in Washington 20 years longer than the Clintons.
    And in the Senate 14 years longer than McCain.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      And in the Senate 14 years longer than McCain.
      So, about the same prehistoric age as Bob Dole.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
        So, about the same prehistoric age as Bob Dole.
        Think again. Joe Biden is 19 years younger than Bob Dole.

Keep in mind that when Biden first took office in the US Senate in 1973, he had just turned 30 years of age. So although it may seem like he's been a senator for ages, Biden has not passed the big SEVEN-OH yet. He's now 65.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Kaine and Bayh are out of the running:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/....vp/index.html

Looks like it could be down to Biden, Kansas Governor, Chet Edwards or some darkhorse surprise like clinton or gore.

I think it will be Biden. Good choice, though if he wins along with Obama will be too old to run for President if the opportunity should arise in 8 years.

Regarding Biden, who has more electoral votes Hawaii or Delaware?

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
            Looks like it could be down to Biden, Kansas Governor, Chet Edwards or some darkhorse surprise like clinton or gore.

I think it will be Biden. Good choice
            I agree. According to FlightAware.com, a private jet flew in a charter flight from Chicago to New Castle, Delaware. This is an unusual flight, so speculation by ABC News abounds that the plane is there to pick up Biden. It arrived a few hours ago.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              Think again. Joe Biden is 19 years younger than Bob Dole.
              So, Dole was there when Adam ate the Fruit, and Biden was there to see Noah built an Ark.

Well, it's official. Joe Biden will be his running mate, according to his official web site, as well as this article:

http://news.aol.com/elections/articl...256x1200451047
              Last edited by Random; August 22, 2008, 09:52 PM.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Of course, Biden was not in the poll that started this thread.
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                  Well, it's official. Joe Biden will be his running mate
                  I found out while watching the monitors at 24 Hour Fitness tonight! MSNBC had a field day.
                  Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                  Of course, Biden was not in the poll that started this thread.
                  ...which we already discussed extensively. Try to keep up, Burl.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Talking about "keeping up" with the news, the first TV outlet to come out and confirm Biden being offered the VP slot appears to be CNN, with John King quoting two sources from the Democratic Party who he refused to name, but said were very reliable. This was on the Larry King Show.

Then within another couple of minutes, FOX News reported the same thing on Hannity and Colmes, but attributed their source as being the AP.

MSNBC? At that moment, they were in the middle of their typical Friday night block programming. Probably Lock Up or To Catch A Predator.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

• Re: Who Should Be Obama’s VP?

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                      Try to keep up, Burl.
                      Oh my god, I'm so sorry. Please forgive this unbelievable breach.
                      Burl Burlingame
                      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

So Obama has chosen Biden. And as the Biden thread indicates, some *cough* timkona *cough* feel that he was not the best choice. So in light of the arguments that have been made for the selection, does anyone still feel there was a better candidate? Who and why?

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

biden was quoted today that he thought hillary was better qualified than he.....foe president and vice president.....i think that obama has buyers remorse......and biden is prepping for stepping aside.....i seriously doubt that hillary will have anything to do with this....she is waiting for 2012 when she can go up against....palin.....she has a very good reason to not want obama to win.
                          the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
                            biden was quoted today that he thought hillary was better qualified than he.....foe president and vice president.....i think that obama has buyers remorse......and biden is prepping for stepping aside.....
                            IOW, you think the Obama campaign is going to start panicking because of the Palin factor. Wrongo, that's not going to happen. As voters learn more about Palin and the dirty politicking of the GOP, I think buyer's remorse will set in with all those freshly jumping on the McCain/Palin bandwagon.

Comment

Why in the world would Joe Biden make this comment?

"Hillary Clinton is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be vice president of the United States of America. Let’s get that straight. She’s a truly close personal friend, she is qualified to be president of the United States of America, she’s easily qualified to be vice president of the United States of America, and quite frankly, it might have been a better pick than me. But she’s first rate, I mean that sincerely, she’s first rate, so let’s get that straight."
                              This would seem to be undercutting the argument that the Dems have tried to make that Obama is qualified to be president, and reminding the public about the highly qualified candidate they had in Hillary Clinton. Buyer's remorse, indeed. McCain's people will use that comment against them; I can hear the ads already: "Even his own vp candidate, Senator Biden, acknowledges how easily qualified his former competitor, Hillary Clinton, was to be president..."

Who are the idiots running Obama's campaign? They need pitbulls (pun intended) like McCain has if they want to win. The public, frankly, eats up all of this playground quarrels and it impacts the way they see the candidates.

And then Obama is stupid enough to make the pigs & lipstick comment so soon after Palin made her pitbulls & lipstick one. Why didn't Obama realize that he'd take another body blow for that comment, probably particularly by white women who are mesmerized by Palin's personal narrative and can more easily identify with her?

Well, her interview with Charlie Gibson is tonight, so this is our first opportunity to see how she can perform without a script. Should be interesting.

--

Oh, and I want to add that I think escondido100 could be right about Hillary wanting Obama to lose so that she can run against Palin. The next president will almost assuredly have a country in further economic & geopolitical crisis; if McCain wins, Hillary will have 4 years of the state of our nation under McCain/Palin to ridicule. By then, the country might truly be ready/willing/desperate enough to vote for a liberal again for president, and a woman, at that.

[My political/philosophical leanings: fiscally conservative, socially moderate cynic]
                              Last edited by U'ilani; September 10, 2008, 11:21 PM.
                              * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                              - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
                                This would seem to be undercutting the argument that the Dems have tried to make that Obama is qualified to be president, and reminding the public about the highly qualified candidate they had in Hillary Clinton. Buyer's remorse, indeed. McCain's people will use that comment against them; I can hear the ads already: "Even his own vp candidate, Senator Biden, acknowledges how easily qualified his former competitor, Hillary Clinton, was to be president..."
                                Sounds like the same kind of bizarre spin that the McCain campaign used against Barack Obama, claiming that his "lipstick on a pig" statement amounted to the Illinois senator called Sarah Palin a pig.

You need to put Joe Biden's quote about Hillary Clinton into its proper context. Biden made his statement when someone at a Democratic fundraiser took a swipe at Clinton and said he was glad she wasn't selected as Barack Obama's running mate. So he said what he said to defend Hillary.

Keep in mind: the primary campaign is over. Obama is no longer running against Clinton. The Obama camp is doing it's best to reach out to Hillary's supporters and to unify the Democratic Party. Biden concurring with someone making a derogatory remark about the former First Lady isn't the best way of making peace with the Clintonites, don'cha think?

But yeah, leave it to someone in McCain's camp to try and twist Biden's words around. After this whole lipstick fiasco, I think voters will start getting fed up with pundits who twist every little thing the candidates say instead of focusing on the issues that really matter, like the economy, healthcare, national security, Iraq, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X