Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New Yorker Cover: Angela Davis & bin Laden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Yorker Cover: Angela Davis & bin Laden?

What does everyone think of the cover on the New Yorker? I'm totally blown away by the blatant stereotyping. Has anyone read the magazine?
    "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Re: Angela Davis & bin Laden??

It's the New Yorker. Sarcasm at its finest. Unfortunately, the masses don't get it. Sigh. As a result, the Obama Ohana has to figuratively object, even though they know it's a cerebral pushup at its finest.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

For the few who haven't seen the magazine or the news, here is the controversial cover.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
        It's the New Yorker. Sarcasm at its finest. Unfortunately, the masses don't get it. Sigh. As a result, the Obama Ohana has to figuratively object, even though they know it's a cerebral pushup at its finest.

It may be a "cerebral Pushup" but most people in the country are not that "cerebral" and unfortunately images leave a lasting impression.
        "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Is there a retro Pam Grier movie?

Comment

Originally posted by greentara View Post
            It may be a "cerebral Pushup" but most people in the country are not that "cerebral" and unfortunately images leave a lasting impression.
            So true, so true. And that, unfortunately, is what could put someone else in the white house. So instead of waah-waah-waah, find a way to show your support. Explain it.
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

most people in the country are not that "cerebral"
              ...and don't read The New Yorker either.

Comment

Re: Angela Davis & bin Laden?

How does Angela Davis and bin Laden fit into this when the cover is about Barack and Michelle Obama?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                  How does Angela Davis and bin Laden fit into this when the cover is about Barack and Michelle Obama?
                  this is how the imagery on that cover is supposed to work:

angela davis = black panthers/radical left, college-educated, powerful black women = michelle obama.

osama bin ladin = muslim extremism/terrorism = barack obama, outwardly dressed on the new yorker cover as he inwardly feels but does not want to reveal to america

basically, the cover reveals how ridiculous the loud whispers about the obamas are. it's utterly disgusting that mccain calls the cover "inappropriate" when he knows that among his supporters are the very ones pushing what the new yorker satirizes as if it were fact.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Once again the media proves that when it comes to selling advertising, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

I'm just glad we didn't have to explain who Angela Davis is...
                    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Just another small example of liberal suicidal politics. I know I beat this point to the ground. But if there were not so many examples of it in the media, it would be more difficult for a nitwit like myself to point them out.

The New Yorker......lol. We all know what a conservative juggernaut that paper truly can be. Obama's poll numbers are collapsing, and this is not helping. ROTFLMAO

Another glurg moment brought to you by twisted lib philosophy. I know you faithful Dems just don't see it like this.

glurg
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                        Just another small example of liberal suicidal politics. I know I beat this point to the ground. But if there were not so many examples of it in the media, it would be more difficult for a nitwit like myself to point them out.

The New Yorker......lol. We all know what a conservative juggernaut that paper truly can be. Obama's poll numbers are collapsing, and this is not helping. ROTFLMAO

Another glurg moment brought to you by twisted lib philosophy. I know you faithful Dems just don't see it like this.

glurg

TimKona:
                        It would surprise many of us were you to say anything else. By the way, it's a magazine.
                        You obviously get the message, but you also know how it is perceived by most, which is why you are LYBFAO. I'm glad it's over and done with, there's time for recovery, and we can now concentrate on what hackers scraped off Miley Smiley Cyrus's cellular phone.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                          and we can now concentrate on what hackers scraped off Miley Smiley Cyrus's cellular phone.
                          Damn, I gotta shift my priorities one of these days. Thanks, lavagal!

Comment

Re: The New Yorker Cover: Angela Davis & bin Laden?

What does everyone think of the cover on the New Yorker? I'm totally blown away by the blatant stereotyping. Has anyone read the magazine?
                            Never read the magazine. They think they're so cosmopolitan and superior.
                            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Re: The New Yorker Cover: Angela Davis & bin Laden?

Originally posted by Random View Post
                              Never read the magazine. They think they're so cosmopolitan and superior.
                              My dad subscribed to the New Yorker for many years when I was a kid. I loved the cartoons!

Comment

Working...
                              X