Rental Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rental Cars

Aloha! One month from today, my husband, son and I will be en route to "paradise"...first Maui, then Kauai, then Oahu ! Forgive me if this has been addressed before, but, does anyone have any suggestions for a good, yet affordable, rental car agency? I know of all the "biggies" out there, and I had a HORRID experience last year with Alamo, but I thought I would ask if there is anyplace known to the locals that is really good. We can't have too tiny a car, as we are 3 adults, but we also don't need a Hummer! Just a standard-sized car will be fine. Also, I have heard several times that to rent a convertible while visiting Maui is the BEST thing to do--true, or will we 3 blondes be fried from too much sun?!

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Mahalo, and have a wonderful day!

Re: Rental Cars

Originally posted by HawaiiMama View Post
    Aloha! One month from today, my husband, son and I will be en route to "paradise"...first Maui, then Kauai, then Oahu! Forgive me if this has been addressed before, but, does anyone have any suggestions for a good, yet affordable, rental car agency? I know of all the "biggies" out there, and I had a HORRID experience last year with Alamo, but I thought I would ask if there is anyplace known to the locals that is really good. We can't have too tiny a car, as we are 3 adults, but we also don't need a Hummer! Just a standard-sized car will be fine. Also, I have heard several times that to rent a convertible while visiting Maui is the BEST thing to do--true, or will we 3 blondes be fried from too much sun?!

I can speak for rentals on Maui. My experiences have all been good with rental cars. Alamo included. I don't know what your experience was, but Alamo has always been ok - and their prices competitive. There is also Budget. I have rented from Maui Cruisers (http://www.mauicruisers.net) also. I like them, but I use them for longer term rentals. I don't know how they stack up for short term (I am assuming you only need it a short time?) They would have older cars for rent, while Budget and Alamo would have newer cars. As far as a convertible goes, I guess it would be kind of cool (no pun intended - or maybe so ) to cruise the Hana Highway with an open top - if it doesn't rain. But other than that - why? If money isn't an issue, maybe. But I think they charge a pretty penny for the privilege of an open top. As far as three blondes being fried...... they have this new invention - sunscreen! Apply liberally and you will be fine.

Have a good trip!

Comment

I've never had a bad experience with any of the major rental car companies, on Maui or the other islands. But, I do hear horror stories about some of the smaller rental car companies. I recommend you stay away from them.

Comment

I tend to use Budget for day trips around Oahu or Kauai.

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiiMama View Post
          Aloha! One month from today, my husband, son and I will be en route to "paradise"...first Maui, then Kauai, then Oahu ! Forgive me if this has been addressed before, but, does anyone have any suggestions for a good, yet affordable, rental car agency? I know of all the "biggies" out there, and I had a HORRID experience last year with Alamo, but I thought I would ask if there is anyplace known to the locals that is really good. We can't have too tiny a car, as we are 3 adults, but we also don't need a Hummer! Just a standard-sized car will be fine. Also, I have heard several times that to rent a convertible while visiting Maui is the BEST thing to do--true, or will we 3 blondes be fried from too much sun?!

PRICELINE.COM is where we rented from. $12 A DAY!!!
          We rented a car for 3 weeks waiting until our car got here from the mainland when we moved BACK.

Hope this helps.
          http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Comment

MAHALO for all the input. ALL of these comments help. I will certainly check into Priceline; and I'm stocking up on the sunscreen! I will have to check out the price differences between a convertible and a hardtop, then go from there. I really appreciate everyone's help. Aloha!

Comment

I always get a good price and service from National Car rental. I usually rent on Maui. You could get a convertible, but because of the sunburn, decreased security and the unexpected showers, it's probably not worth the extra cost.

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
                I always get a good price and service from National Car rental.[...]
                I do, too...but...it's because I get the kamaaina rate. I don't know how much that differs from the standard, non-resident rate. I don't think anyone can beat the priceline.com/$12. day rate, tho'! That's amazing!

Comment

I've had no major problems with Budget or National. Matter of fact, National upgraded me (imo anyway) from a PT cruiser vert to a Mustang vert when they didn't have the PT I was slated to get. I own a stang so I enjoyed the comfort of driving what i have.

From a tourist point of view... you go to Hawaii to enjoy the sights and sounds and smells that the Islands have to offer. There are so many things there that just can't be found in my neck of the woods. A convertible is a free sightseeing tour in my book. (when it's not raining that is...) Besides, I don't want to try to move my head around trying to see the awsome double rainbow because the roof/side pillars are in the way.
                  -kp!

Comment

Convertibles do have their good points, but beware because some of them have a horribly uncomfortable back seat - hey, no comments from the peanut gallery, I'm not talking about "drive in movies" here! ha. Anyway, if you have a back seat passenger, check out the leg room of the convertible before you accept it and head off for a circle island tour!
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                      Convertibles do have their good points, but beware because some of them have a horribly uncomfortable back seat - hey, no comments from the peanut gallery, I'm not talking about "drive in movies" here! ha. Anyway, if you have a back seat passenger, check out the leg room of the convertible before you accept it and head off for a circle island tour!
                      SO true! I fit just nicely in the backseat of mine but if I had anymore padding It'd be a tight squeeze. Not to mention it's rather windy back there.
                      -kp!

Comment

Mahalo...none of us are under 5'6", and mome of us are heavy, but none of us are super-skinny either (especially Mom here ), so that is something to take into account. We dunno who'll be driving at any given time. So, we definitely will check into that, too. That said, I loved the comment about craning to look past the pillars, etc.--we are photo nuts, so we want a clear view!!! And if it rains, we'll just put up the top. I think we're gonna splurge on that. There are lots of other things we can cut back on to make up the difference. Again, all the input is soooo appreciated! Aloha!!!

Comment

Anyone know where you can rent a motorcycle/moped? I don't intend to have my own vehicle in Hawaii but I'd love to take a trip around the Island on a bike every so often.
                          The visible universe is a sphere with a diameter of about 92 billion light-years.

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."
                          - Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by islandguy View Post
                            PRICELINE.COM is where we rented from. $12 A DAY!!!
                            We rented a car for 3 weeks waiting until our car got here from the mainland when we moved BACK.

Hope this helps.
                            Priceline and Hotwire generally have good deals depending on the availability. Don't forget www.kayak.com -- you can compare the different companies' prices.

Right now I'm driving a rental I got from Enterprise while my car (that was stolen, but has since been recovered) undergoes extensive repairs. Ironically my BF's driving an Enterprise rental right now as well while his car's bumper's getting fixed. Granted, our insurance companies are handling the expenses, but the employees have been very helpful and everything's been smooth sailing.
                            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                            We're not here to mess around
                            Boston, you know we love you madly
                            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                            You know we couldn't live without you
                            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

there's not much price/quality diff b/w the major car rental companies bcs m most of them are owned by the Avis Budget Group (formerly part of Cendant):

ACE Rent A Car · Advantage Rent A Car · Alamo Rent A Car · Avis Rent A Car · Budget Rent a Car · Dollar Rent A Car · E-Z Rent-A-Car · Enterprise Rent-A-Car · Europcar · Hertz Rent A Car · L&M Car Rental · National Car Rental · Payless Car Rental · Rent-A-Wreck · Sixt · Thrifty Car Rental
                              i've rented cars whilst mine was at the shop. for that purpose, i go w/enterprise (lex brodie's has a contract w/them). enterprise currently has this $19 weekend special (something like, rent friday - monday = $19 a day, plus fees) which comes in handy (a) you have a trio of friends/family come into town and (2) if your only two vehicles are very small or very large and you dunno how to drive the very large one and (3) you'd be happy w/a camry for the weekend, thank you.

eric and i have a friend who used to work for avis when it was owned by cendant, and would get awesome deals on top of the regular specials no matter what city we were traveling to. our most memorable experience was driving a coupe de ville on the big isle for the price of a compact...and then driving said caddy on a certain road we weren't sposed to (by terms of the rental agmt) in the dark...in fog so thick we couldn't see five feet in front of us...
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                              X