Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Congrats Walter Makaula! He's movin' on up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats Walter Makaula! He's movin' on up!

Walter has accepted a position with KSWB in San Diego. I've watched him improve by leaps and bounds since I worked with him at KGMB. He is a person who cares about people, he has worked hard on his talent and he has come such a long way. Please join me in wishing Walter well! He deserves it. I'm so excited for him. Here is the link to Erika's story. http://starbulletin.com/2008/07/15/business/engle.html

Go get em Walt!
    Inspire, educate, and create change.

Re: Congrats Walter Makaula! He's movin' on up!

Wow!!.. congratulations to the fella!

Comment

Congrats to Walt.

Going to miss his singing, though.

Think he can sing for the last time on TV?

Pray they won't screw up his last name over there.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

He can always tell 'em

Muh-COW-luh, as in Cow Eee-noh-uh

Jes' joking - his family lives across the street from us. Great break for Walter - unfortunate to be losing a Native Hawaiian anchor here in Hawai`i Nei.

Comment

Yeah. San Diego. That's quite a step up. Is he aware of the fact that he'll be moving to San Diego?
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
            Pray they won't screw up his last name over there.
            Maybe he'll change it. There's a reporter here in Seattle whose last name is "Legeros" (it's Greek); I knew him when he was an anchor for a station in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where he went by the last name of "George." I always found that odd, since there's a large Greek-American community in C.R. He blamed it on the advice of consultants.

Comment

I truly hope that Walter isn't influenced into changing his last name and that the area will adapt and learn to pronounce it. It's not that difficult. His name, like everyone else's, is a name to be proud of.

Congrats, Walter!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                Maybe he'll change it.
                I hope not. It's bad enough that Ku'ualoha Taylor had to change her first name to Aloha Taylor just to please the mainlander audience.

Next time, don't annex a territory if you can't pronounce the native language well, USA. Go annex the English-speaking Canada.

Comment

Go annex the English-speaking Canada.
                  Good thing you put the qualifier in there, cause we would really screw up Quebec otherwise (not to mention Nunavut, the Yukon and Northwest Territories).

Comment

It's bad enough that Ku'ualoha Taylor had to change her first name to Aloha Taylor just to please the mainlander audience.
                    ah! Looks like San Diego will now get two Hawaii TV news alumni. Walter will be in the same market with Ku'u. She's currently at XETV (the current FOX affilate of San Diego). As an unrelated note, ironically, XETV (FOX) and KSWB (CW) will be "swapping" affiliates on Aug. 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      I truly hope that Walter isn't influenced into changing his last name and that the area will adapt and learn to pronounce it. It's not that difficult. His name, like everyone else's, is a name to be proud of.

Congrats, Walter!
                      You mean when Geraldo Rivera is aka Jerry Rivers.

Will the mainland audience say that Walter is articulate for a Hawaiian?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                        Will the mainland audience say that Walter is articulate for a Hawaiian?
                        They'd be dropping their jaws.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                          You mean when Geraldo Rivera is aka Jerry Rivers. [...]
                          Jerry Rivers is an urban legend. However, Gerald did become Geraldo when he got into the news business. I still hope Walter Makaula stays Walter Makaula. It's a fine name.

Comment

Dang now I can't get THe Jeffersons theme song outta my head....

Congrats...

Comment

I hope not. It's bad enough that Ku'ualoha Taylor had to change her first name to Aloha Taylor just to please the mainlander audience.
                              She preferred to change it to Aloha... she doesn't like Ku'u which her Hawaiian teacher scolded not to use Ku or Ku'u when she was younger. That's a discussion I had with her a while back. She loathes Ku'u.

No worries Walt won't change his name. He is thrilled to hear about the positive support on this board! He is one of the kindest people I've ever met and worked with in the news biz. He has stocked up a lot of good karma and now it's coming back to him.
                              Inspire, educate, and create change.

Comment

Working...
                              X