Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Slow airline decline

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    I concur. We'll end up with either new or vastly restructured older carriers, where more of the consumer's money goes towards things like the actual cost of running the business and less of the proceeds goes into overinflated salaries of CEOs and executives.
    The very least those suits could do is pay off their investors with overinflated returns.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Don't be surprised if you see some airlines bringing back turboprops. They're much more fuel efficient than turbofans.

Island Air has the right idea. It'll be interesting to see how the competition develops over the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
        Ewww, it's made of PEOPLE!
        Soylent Green. Fuel for people and vehicles, too.

Comment

High fuels costs continue to gut the airlines. Revenue in the quarter that ended June 30:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...AKINGNEWSFRONT

UAL Corp.'s United Airlines had a loss of $430 million. US Airways had a $567 million loss, and plans to cut 1,700 jobs. JetBlue Airways Corp. had a $7 million loss, and will shut down its operations in Ontario, Calif.

It does not seem like things can continue the direction they are headed without the fuel burning Hawaii routes being cut back.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
            Island Air has the right idea.
            Meh. Hawaiian Air had the Dash-7, a roomier predecessor to Island Air's Dash-8.

Some may call it rustic, but Island Air's Dash-8 are just plain smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
              UAL Corp.'s United Airlines had a loss of $430 million. US Airways had a $567 million loss, and plans to cut 1,700 jobs. JetBlue Airways Corp. had a $7 million loss, and will shut down its operations in Ontario, Calif.

It does not seem like things can continue the direction they are headed without the fuel burning Hawaii routes being cut back.
              I know United flys to Hawaii, but does JetBlue and US Airways fly to Hawaii also? And if they don't how does those airlines affect us?

Comment

US Airways flies to Hawaii. They have a $319 OW trip HNL to Phoenix AZ.

Jet Blue does not.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I just saw $640 round trip from HNL to Cincinnati (where my family lives). The deals can be found if you're patient and know where to look.

Last year, year before last, I loved to travel. I had the bug. Now I'm poor and I live on an island. You adjust. There's been talk of building a raft. A really big one.
                  Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                  Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
                    Last year, year before last, I loved to travel. I had the bug. Now I'm poor and I live on an island. You adjust.
                    That's the key word... adjust. Everyone's doing it. I spend less, definitely travel less, by plane or by car. Staycation this summer.

Airlines are adjusting too, but so far the only thing they are doing is jacking up fares and adding more fees. Public reaction is naturally to use them less. Stay home is cheaper.

One way airlines could generate more revenue without hitting most of the public in the wallet: Sell display ad space on the outsides of their airplanes. Works for NASCAR.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                      One way airlines could generate more revenue without hitting most of the public in the wallet: Sell display ad space on the outsides of their airplanes.
                      Why not on the inside as well? Along the walls, similar to city buses. More commercials during in-flight videos. Ads on the backs of tray tables. Sponsor logos on the flight attendant uniforms. A drop-down tag attached to your oxygen mask ("This sudden depressurization of the cabin is brought to you by State Farm, reminding you to check and see if your life insurance policies are up-to-date...if you get back home alive, that is.")

Okay, I was kidding with the last one.

Maybe.

Comment

Staycation this summer.
                        Oh, please. I've been doing that even before that silly word was coined.

Comment

Staycation this summer.
                          Staycation? Isn't that a song by The Go-Go's?

Comment

Sell display ad space on the outsides of their airplanes. Works for NASCAR.
                            It doesn't scale well to planes that fly over 30,000 feet, that rarely gets filmed or looked at.

Then again one airline company could be <something> and buy ad space on another airline company.

Then you also have to worry about repainting the planes when the ad term limit is up.

<something> = rude, sneaky, bold or anything else one wants to put here.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                              Oh, please. I've been doing that even before that silly word was coined.
                              You're in "Oh, please" mode this week, Random!

Decades before "staycation" became part of the vernacular, I moved to my ultimate vacation destination. I have no desire to vacation...or live...anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                You're in "Oh, please" mode this week, Random!
                                Yeah, cynicism becomes me.

Comment

Working...
                                X