HawaiianTel internet without phone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HawaiianTel internet without phone?

Can someone please confirm.....is it possible to sign up for Hawaiian Telcom's DSL without having their phone service?

Thanks!

Re: HawaiianTel internet without phone?

Originally posted by amagab View Post
    Can someone please confirm.....is it possible to sign up for Hawaiian Telcom's DSL without having their phone service?

Thanks!
    That is correct, you can get HawTel DSL without a landline service. There is 5.00 additional charge on top of the normal DSL rates for this service.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Okay, so the $19.99 special will really be $24.99 then. Hmmmm.

Comment

My understanding of the small print of the ad was that the $19.99 rate was good only if you had regular phone service also. So that would come to about $40 a month!

I have a DSL line only and pay $36.45 monthly.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Okay, that rules out me then. I wouldn't pay that much.

Comment

it's the same I was paying for RoadRunner...........and it works well for me. and I'm no longer a slave to Oceanic! where can you get cheaper broadband internet service?
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
              it's the same I was paying for RoadRunner...........and it works well for me. and I'm no longer a slave to Oceanic! where can you get cheaper broadband internet service?
              Unfortunately, there is not cheaper what I know about. But I'm not going to switch if the price is the same. I'm very happy with RR. I was just looking for a way to cut expenses.

Comment

I keep seeing the ads by Hawaiian Telcom providing 2 free months and a lifetime $19.99 per month high speed internet offering. Can that be beat? I am ready to switch to save some money.
                Check out Bytemarks the blog and Bytemarks the Yahoogroup

Comment

Originally posted by Quark View Post
                  I keep seeing the ads by Hawaiian Telcom providing 2 free months and a lifetime $19.99 per month high speed internet offering. Can that be beat? I am ready to switch to save some money.

The problem is the fact you still have to have a HawTel phone line on top of
                  that. Which will double the cost exponentially.

Getting a dry DSL connection will probably run you probably less than going with
                  the 19.99 package. I believe the 19.99 tier is 3Mbps service. Going the dry DSL
                  route it will cost $ 36.45.

For the higher tier DSL speeds add 5.00 to cost for dry DSL service.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Yes, that's very unfortunate. I would jump in a heart beat if you didn't need the phone service. I think Hawaiian Tel should really make a similar offer to people without phone service as well since they are losing customers daily.

Comment

Yes, that's very unfortunate. I would jump in a heart beat if you didn't need the phone service. I think Hawaiian Tel should really make a similar offer to people without phone service as well since they are losing customers daily.
                      As far as I remember when I had a land line it was $25.00 or so a month.
                      If you get the 19.99 rate, that is over 45.00 with taxes, etc. A dry 3Mbps
                      DSL connection is $36.45 with taxes included. Which isn't that bad when
                      you think about it.

It would be simply unfeasible for HT to offer dry DSL service for life at 19.99
                      for a number of reasons.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                        It would be simply unfeasible for HT to offer dry DSL service for life at 19.99
                        for a number of reasons.
                        I don't see why that would be unfeasible. They would gain a lot of customers and by the rest of the industrialized world 3mbps is getting ancient. A lot of markets now offer up to 20mbps. If they gain the masses at 3mbps and then people want to upgrade they would really benefit from it.

If the cost of DSL and RR is the same my guess is that most people would go with RR.

Comment

I don't see why that would be unfeasible. They would gain a lot of customers and by the rest of the industrialized world 3mbps is getting ancient. A lot of markets now offer up to 20mbps. If they gain the masses at 3mbps and then people want to upgrade they would really benefit from it.

If the cost of DSL and RR is the same my guess is that most people would go with RR.
                          For starters,Standard Road Runner service (5mbps/1Mbps) costs 44.95 (without any additional bundles etc). Which is obviously more than the 36.45 cost for dry 3Mbps DSL service.

The reason why I said the 19.99 rate is unfeasible for HT to offer both landline and DSL service is because the backhaul circuits to the mainland are not cheap. Even though prices have come down over the years because SCCL, etc came online,I would bet this is one of HT's major expenses.

I'm personally waiting to see what Oceanic is going to do. They are going to be offering 100Mbps/100Mbps FTTH service to the residents of the Hualalai Resort here in Kona later this year. I'm particularly curious to see how much
                          this service will cost.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

I misunderstood you first. I didn't know you meant both phone and DSL for $19.99. For just DSL, I think $19.99 is very feasible.

Comment

I misunderstood you first. I didn't know you meant both phone and DSL for $19.99. For just DSL, I think $19.99 is very feasible.
                              Yes the 19.99 is very doable for 3Mbps DSL. But you can't have DSL service without a landline (Unless you go the dry DSL route). As far as I recall someone said in the fine print that HawTel landline is required for that 19.99 package.

Which leads me back to the point that I made earlier, it is cheaper to go the dry DSL route than get that 19.99 package due to reason I stated above.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X