Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's inside

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
    [...]you see guts, brains, sexual organs, real eyes, the entire nervous system separated from all the other parts of the body, a whole skin of a person, healthy organs versus diseased organs (they had a box to collect cigarettes from those who might decide after seeing a smoker's lung to quit) and anuses. at the end, you have an opportunity to hold part of a brain and a kidney in your hands (they felt waxy, like crayola crayons, because of the processing they were put through).[...]
    This sounds like an episode of Oprah featuring Dr. Oz! He's brought "samples" to the show on more than one occasion. Was very interesting and much easier for me to watch with a TV screen between guts 'n me!

Seriously, cyn, your reviews, whether restaurants or human innards, are always a great read. You just saved me $50.!

Comment

Re: Bodies The Exhibition: What's inside

Many pros and cons have been discussed. And it is obvious that anyone who is reading HT knows how to use a computer, so they would know how to google for more info about the body exhibitions.

The fact that the display is "for profit" adds an element for your conscience. It is not at all similar to donating your body to a medical school or for transplant. This is a case of people reportedly being executed in order to be sold, and then the buyer making even more money off the executed person.

Do a bit of research, or don't, and make your own choices how to spend your money. Not all of the companies have the same reputation, check 'em out.

But, if you go to an exhibition, and notice the eyes of the dead plastic bodies following you around the room, you'll have to live with the memory.
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

eric and i are living w/whatever memories we have just fine. *shrug*
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
          eric and i are living w/whatever memories we have just fine. *shrug*
          My Chinese ancestors just might decide to visit you some night in your dreams.

Comment

oh? i'll be happy to offer them a dream cup of tea, then. would you like me to relay any message during any nocturnal visit they may pay me?
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Re: What's inside

Originally posted by Amati View Post
              The various "bodies" exhibitions are saturated with controversy due to the possiblility of Chinese prisioners being the unwilling "donor bodies".
              Googling will show an abundance of articles. Here is a fairly recent one:

http://www.catholicexchange.com/2008/06/02/112765/

I saw a plastinated bodies exhibit in New York while on a work trip, and the "Chinese" factor was prominent at the end of the display where a table had been set up for comments by customers. Many people had made written comments about it, and some had left informative flyers (which I imagine were regularily thrown away by staff). It was an unsettling eye opener for those of us who did not know of the controversy beforehand.
              http://www.starbulletin.com/news/breaking/44412942.html
              Lawmakers pass ban on displays of dead bodies
              "Certain public displays of dead human bodies would be terminated in Hawaii under a bill passed by state lawmakers. The Legislature has sent Gov. Linda Lingle a measure that would prohibit the sale or display of dead human bodies, including human bodies or remains that have been plastinated through the use of polymers. The bill is aimed at shows such as “Bodies...The Exhibition,” which was on display last year at Ala Moana Center."

Why care about the bodies displays?
              "Supporters of the bill say they worry that the bodies displayed in previous exhibitions were those of Chinese prisoners."

Comment

Why care? Possibly because it's just really poor taste.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Did anyone see the 20/20 on this? It was certainly enough evidence for me to decide never to give money to these people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQLjOWp34O8
                  What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Excellent link, Stinky!!!! Thanks!!
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Q: What's the difference between a bowl of cereal and a dead body?

A: Nothing that a little time won't make moot.

Why prohibit business? Just regulate it and require proof of ownership/permission.
                      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                        Q: What's the difference between a bowl of cereal and a dead body?
                        A: Nothing that a little time won't make moot.
                        I'd bet that the plastinated bodies will last as long as .... plastic.

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                        Why prohibit business? Just regulate it and require proof of ownership/permission.
                        Easier said than done in this case. How do you regulate a product (body) coming from China as to whether or not the executed prisoner gave prior permission?

Comment

So...for all those who basked in the so-called "educational" benefits of such a display...shame on you. All of you.
                          You should have known. You should have guessed. You should have LISTENED to those of us who screamed that this disgraceful display of disregard for humanity was a wretchedly horrific example of greed triumphing over decency.
                          Disgusting. All of you that greased the slimey palms of the perpetrators should be deeply ashamed.
                          No excuses, no "we did it for the educational value and gee whiz my kid was kinda grossed out but wasn't it FUN LOLOL" crappola.
                          Think, people. Think.
                          And then ask whoever your personal God is for forgiveness.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                            So...for all those who basked in the so-called "educational" benefits of such a display...shame on you. All of you.
                            You should have known. You should have guessed. You should have LISTENED to those of us who screamed that this disgraceful display of disregard for humanity was a wretchedly horrific example of greed triumphing over decency.
                            Disgusting. All of you that greased the slimey palms of the perpetrators should be deeply ashamed.
                            No excuses, no "we did it for the educational value and gee whiz my kid was kinda grossed out but wasn't it FUN LOLOL" crappola.
                            Think, people. Think.
                            And then ask whoever your personal God is for forgiveness.

worn, for someone who is screaming, "i told you so" so loudly (figuratively, of course), i don't see any evidence in this thread of you telling anyone here the exhibit is a "disgraceful display of disregard for humanity" and "a wretchedly horrific example of greed triumphing over decency" and that anyone who goes should be "deeply ashamed."

as for your exhortations to "think," that eric and i did--significantly much more than you did before you hit "submit reply" on your post. we didn't just look at the arguments about the bodies' provenance; we talked to chinese nationals who are politically and culturally involved. we ruminated on ethical/moral considerations. iirc, it was a couple of weeks before we decided to pay the fee (discounted considerably through my employer, as i said earlier).

given all of that, even now, with the potential law change, we have absolutely no regrets and no guilt. your galloping johnny-come-lately charge on a high horse has made as much an impression as would a kiddie's donkey ride at the county fair--nothing but going around in sad little circles.

Comment

http://www.kpua.net/news.php?id=18178

Some? When is the right time to show real dead bodies?

Comment

I think it's a waste of the governor's time to be working on this ban.

And it's really just an afterthought as far as the exhibition is concerned.

Comment

Working...
                                X