Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okinawa donut

hey guyz,,,,and galz

Are there any other good places to get freshly made Okinawan donuts besides Shirokiya?

thx

Re: Okinawa donut

The Okinawan festival at Kapiolani Park around Labor Day where you get it fresh hot and brown from the pot of cooking oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
      The Okinawan festival at Kapiolani Park around Labor Day where you get it fresh hot and brown from the pot of cooking oil.
      Roll out the cardio machine, baby,,,,,,,,,I'm there!

Anywhere on an everyday basis?

Comment

you can also get andagi from the kalihi marukai. they get the job done for being a stand outside the store.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Also, Waipahu Don Quijote Mondays and Tuesdays, Pearl City Don Quijote on Saturdays and Sundays by The Andagi Guy. Don't know what his secret is, but his andagi is never greasy and stays soft.

Btw, The Andagi Guy usually vends at some of the Bon Dances out this way, but be prepared to stand in a long line for up to 45 minutes. They can't keep up at these venues.

He's usually selling at the above locations with his wife and son and sometimes his Mom, who's probably the creator of his recipe. Darned nice people.

Others I've tried practically leak cooking oil and get hard within a few hours of turning cold. Eating them hot is okay, but it just masks how much grease these things soak up.

I second Dillingham Marukai. They make pretty good andagi also.

Comment

I'll sometimes have freshly made andagi during the holidays when I visit my mom. My taste buds have changed from small kid time. I'll eat andagi plain or containing sweet potato now as an adult. But as a kid, I would load up with butter or margarine on it. No wonder my cholesterol is high. Also, I put the andagi in a paper bag of sugar, shake it, so that it would have a coat of sugar like it was made in a bakery.

Comment

there will be a mini-okinawan festival at KCC on saturday. exhibits open at 10A, events starting at 11A to include discussions re the oki diet, awamori, & a noon-time panel discussion about oki restaurants. what does this have to do w/andagi? bcs both andagi, andadogs, & nantu (oki sweet potato mochi) will be on sale....mmmmmm!
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                andadogs
                I'm sorry, but every time I read about these, I hear Wally Cox's voice in my head, saying "There's no need to fear..."
                I believe I once, long ago, told the story of meeting Wally Cox down in Long Beach --- several years after he died...and it involved donuts (that's my convoluted way of making it sorta fit the topic).

Comment

You don't have to be blindfolded to be able to taste the difference between an andadog, waffle dog, corn dog, and pronto pop?

Comment

If you have the cravings for andagi...may I suggest besides andagi man, go to the weekend obon dances....call the temples first cuz the menu for the food booths may vary...I will post a pix up soon, but just last night, Higashi Hongwanji just kkhd of Lanakila Elem, held obon dance with PLENTY HOMEMADE andagi!!!!! btw, last nite of sale is tonight 7-26...so hurry up! Jikoen Hongwanji gurantee also have cuz they are kinda like the okinawan temple on Oahu...tonite last nite also! see the rest of the list at

http://starbulletin.com/008/05/31/features/story01.html

Comment

sorry...missed a number!

http://starbulletin.com/2008/05/31/f...s/story01.html

Comment

Now this...will start to make you WANT MORE!!!! _DSC8603.jpg

Comment

Get ready for andagi! The Okinawan Festival is back in person this year (hawaiinewsnow.com)

Get em fresh!

Comment

Working...
                          X