Meat Bargains!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meat Bargains!

I just had to share - I'm so excited! Apparently it takes very little......but I
    just bought 8 1# packages of ground buffalo meat for only $1.99 each! Normally they're something near $6.00, my freezer is happy! Often I scour
    the bargain bin to see what's there and it's amazing what you can find for
    really cheap! I often (but unfortunately not today) get stew meat for Manele & Koele's food as well.

Anybody else love the bargain bin? Maybe this has been covered before and I missed it.

Re: Meat Bargains!

Teehee, I'm pretty happy for you (and I don't even like meat!)

I used to find great bargain stuff, then I moved to Hawaii.
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

leashlaws: are you keeping it a secret? where'd you find your bargain meat?

found some organic bell peppers regularly priced at $7.99 for two and reduced to 99cents. nothing wrong with them except that they were just starting to turn red. will use them tonight with tofurky sausages.
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
        leashlaws: are you keeping it a secret? where'd you find your bargain meat?

found some organic bell peppers regularly priced at $7.99 for two and reduced to 99cents. nothing wrong with them except that they were just starting to turn red. will use them tonight with tofurky sausages.

At the Safeway in Kaneohe! They've always got great deals in their clearance bin. I've been rummaging through there other times and had people try to
        take my selection from my very hands! Sometimes the bargains are not in
        the bin designated as such, they're very often in with the regular priced stuff but on top of the piles. Good deal on your peppers! You should roast them!

I'm making spinach and goat cheese ravioli tonight which does not have
        ground buffalo - maybe chili this week will!

Comment

Kani! Where are you shopping? 99 cents for 2 peppers is outstanding!! If I could find those deals regularly, I wouldn't have to try to grow my own.
          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

We always check out Foodland's bargain bin. Our closest Safeway doesn't have a BB. Got a stash of lamb chops going for a nice weekend BBQ and just finished off a leg of lamb in a Navajo stew. Found a nice pork loin roast last week. All for less than half price. Sometimes I can score several Ribeye steaks at less than half price.

If you like those South Beach wraps, too late now. Tamura's in Wahiawa had SB turkey/ham wraps for $.99. Should have raided the bin. They're now back up to a regular price of $3.99 ea.

Oh yeah, the SB stuff was not a BB item. Most BB items are usually a day from the pull date.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post

Oh yeah, the SB stuff was not a BB item. Most BB items are usually a day from the pull date.
              How long does the meat last when you put it in the freezer just before the expiration date?

Comment

A good long time - especially important is to use a freezer bag to keep it
                insulated from air, press it tightly and seal it well. I don't think that I'll have
                this all that long however. Preparation to freeze is key however. It's like when you buy stuff from Costco.

Comment

A few months ago I bought seven of these at the Hawaii Kai Safeway; reduced from $6.99 to $1.99. I was as thrilled as you. I froze five, we had burgers with two. That was a score! I just love it when I can get a great bargain!

I find that the organic beef at Costco has got a really high fat content and makes my gas grill look like an inferno. I don't think the wrapper indicates its fat content.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I saw some meat in the bargain bin at Don Quijote that was looking mighty green. The "sell by" date had been scratched off, no less. Much as I love a good deal, some things are just too good to be true.
                    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                      I used to find great bargain stuff, then I moved to Hawaii.
                      LOL--too funny, TG!

But I do love to browse Tamura's and find all sorts of goodies. I usually keep a pork butt in the freezer, and the usual price at Tamura's is 1.39 a pound, so when it goes on sale it really goes on sale!

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
                        I saw some meat in the bargain bin at Don Quijote that was looking mighty green. The "sell by" date had been scratched off, no less. Much as I love a good deal, some things are just too good to be true.
                        That's the caveat for shopping bargain bins. Some of the meats are basically rotten already. Green or gray is not good. <LOL>

We found bargain meats at PC Don Quijote only once and I bought a bunch of cold cuts and hot dogs that were only $.99, which most would otherwise cost almost $5. Haven't seen anything since.

When freezing bargain meats, you basically freeze the "clock". Once frozen they'll keep, like Leashlaws mentioned. Once thawed, it starts where it left off and you should use the meat within a couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post

We found bargain meats at PC Don Quijote only once and I bought a bunch of cold cuts and hot dogs that were only $.99, which most would otherwise cost almost $5. Haven't seen anything since.
                          that's because leashlaws raided the bins before you got there oh, wait! he doesn't live out that way. lol.

turtlegirl: the peppers were found at times in kailua. oh, oh! the secret is out.
                          "chaos reigns within.
                          order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                            that's because leashlaws raided the bins before you got there oh, wait! he doesn't live out that way. lol.

turtlegirl: the peppers were found at times in kailua. oh, oh! the secret is out.
                            Somebody else got there first! I don't shop at Don Pen!
                            My range of travel is very limited mostly the 96744 area!

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                              Somebody else got there first! I don't shop at Don Pen!
                              My range of travel is very limited mostly the 96744 area!

come on over to the 96734 area, we don't bite.

does that mean you won't be shopping at whole foods when they come?
                              "chaos reigns within.
                              order shall return."

Comment

Working...
                              X