Photovoltaics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photovoltaics

My husband & are looking to install a photovoltaic system on our north shore home. We've called 3 different solar companies to get estimates. One guy out of three did actually come out to the house and measured our roof but we never heard back from him.

Anyone here have any experience with a photovoltaic system on their home? I'd appreciate any referrals to any reputable companies for estimates.

We're also interested verticle axis wind turbines as a piggy back to the photovoltaic system for generating energy.

Re: Photovoltaics

Originally posted by HaleiwaDiva View Post
    My husband & are looking to install a photovoltaic system on our north shore home. We've called 3 different solar companies to get estimates. One guy out of three did actually come out to the house and measured our roof but we never heard back from him.
    You could check with Keith Cronin (http://www.islandenergy.net/index.asp). If they can't do it they'll probably be able to refer you to another contractor, or you could talk to Inter-Island Solar Supply for a referral.

The federal energy credits are due to expire at the end of this year, so business will be getting very busy in the next couple months. The credits will probably be renewed but people will still be trying to be eligible by getting systems in service before 2009.

Traffic/interest was brisk around the photovoltaic & solar water companies at the Home Show yesterday. I remember seeing Poncho's and a company selling a starter "Kumu Kit" (KumuKit.com). Never worked with these guys and don't know anything about them, but the technology is starting to break out into a mainstream consumer commodity.

We're also interested verticle axis wind turbines as a piggy back to the photovoltaic system for generating energy.
    A lot of entrepreneurs are trying to sell VAWTs to people whose lots may not actually have enough wind to make it worthwhile. You would think that Mililani is pretty breezy but a high-school science project used donated monitoring equipment on the roof of the school for several months and gave turbines a thumbs down.

A second obstacle (which you may not have on the North Shore) is the community. Homeowner's associations are reluctant to have a 30-foot tower in the neighborhood. Ed Begley's show makes it look like a simple rooftop system but I'd be equally reluctant to have a turbine resonating & torquing away on the house-- especially during a hurricane.

I don't know any local turbine installers, but your solar contractor will want to know your wind plans to make sure that there's room and connections for both electrical inverters. One of the solar companies may be able to refer you to a wind company.

I saw a presentation a couple months ago by Helix Wind (http://www.helixwind.com/en/index.php). They claimed that they'd do a free site wind analysis (recording gear for a month or two) before recommending a system. They're interested in Hawaii investors (and they look like they're going to get them) so they'd probably be happy to show off a few Hawaii customer referrals. However they claim to have the industry's best thrust bearings and most corrosion-resistant materials, too, so they're probably not "budget"-priced.
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Wind turbines work in about 10 knots of wind. Cost about $600 plus shipping. Easy to install. But you will need an inverter, and other stuff to make it useful. Use a licensed electrician to hook it up.

Don't worry about the housing associations. The Feds say you can put up satellite communications and home power generating regardless of the huhu that the nosybodies think they can make.

the technology is starting to break out into a mainstream consumer commodity.

It's like I keep on saying. When CONSUMERS CHOOSE to buy the new technology, it will fly off the shelves. (Even though there are some people on this board who think it's the government's fault all the time.) That's why the Prius is a top selling car, and solar/wind is finally catching on. The tech has been there for nearly 3 decades. It's been cost effective for a long time.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Thank you Nords & timkona for your very informative replies. I will be calling the referrals this week.

Watching "Living With Ed" was what got me interested in the verticle axis wind turbine. We don't have any home owner associations here in Pupukea but we do have lots of big trees so it would be good to have some kind of wind analysis done I guess.

I'll post again after I talk to the solar companies.

Comment

Well, we're not going to be installing a PV system anytime soon. The numbers just don't pan out.

We were quoted over $50,000 (closer to $35,000 the after tax write-off cost) to save approximately 1/3 of our bill.

As much as I'd love to help conserve electricity this way I think we're going to have to wait for the technology to get better and the cost of the systems to go down significantly before we purchase one.

Still interested in learning more about wind generated energy!

Comment

Well, we're not going to be installing a PV system anytime soon. The numbers just don't pan out.
            We were quoted over $50,000 (closer to $35,000 the after tax write-off cost) to save approximately 1/3 of our bill.
            Ouch.

This question comes up every few months and your experience could help other HT readers. Are you billed by HECO, or does the "Haleiwa" refer to something else? Could you share more about your energy needs, the photovoltaic contractor, and the specs of the system you were offered?
            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Comment

$50 grand? u kiddin me?

Start with a good, large inverter or 2 if you have a 220v dryer.
              Add 8 large panels, 8 large batteries, and a small propane generator with electric start.
              You can bolt most of it together yourself with a little effort and some supplies from Home Depot.
              Get an electrician to hook it up at the end.
              Should not cost you more than $20000 for the bomb starter system.

Then add a panel or two as you can afford it.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                Ouch.

This question comes up every few months and your experience could help other HT readers. Are you billed by HECO, or does the "Haleiwa" refer to something else? Could you share more about your energy needs, the photovoltaic contractor, and the specs of the system you were offered?

Yes, we are billed by HECO. We have a huge electric bill between $500-$600 per month. So for the $50,000 system we were told we could expect to save about $200 per month.

This was through Suntech Hawaii.

Here are some specs I was given:

DESCRIPTION:

Panels- 27
                Inverters- 3-3kW
                System Size kW DC- 6.1

FINANCIALS:

Gross Installed Cost-$52,400
                30% Federal Tax Credit- $2,000
                35% State Tax Credit-$15,000
                Net Cost after Credits- $35,400

ENERGY PRODUCTION:

Daily kWh -24.5
                Monthly kWh-744

ELECTRICITY COST SAVINGS:

Monthly Savings- $189
                Yearly Savings-$2,268
                Lifetime Savings-$272,963

We already have a solar hot water system.

Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                  $50 grand? u kiddin me?

Add 8 large panels, 8 large batteries, and a small propane generator with electric start.
                  You can bolt most of it together yourself with a little effort and some supplies from Home Depot.

Thank you very much for that advice. I will look into that!!

Comment

Hope that helps
                    Thanks, seems like that price quote won't change significantly with other legit contractors.

FWIW it's quoting a 17-year payback on 25 cents/KWHr electric rates. That's ahead of the typical 25-year payback that most people shoot for, and that payback doesn't include the effects of inflation. So with every rate hike over the next decade you could be kicking yourself.

As has been pointed out, if you do an installation over more than one year then you can continue to take the federal credit every year that you spend the money-- so that $2K credit could be expanded to $6K or even more. (We ended up taking credits on more than half the cost of our system.) But contractors would prefer to visit the job site just once and may not always share that info with you.

Another option might be spending $5-$10K on insulation & EnergyStar appliances to help drive down the size of that electric bill. It's almost always easier to cut consumption than it is to raise production.
                    Last edited by Nords; September 3, 2008, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                      $50 grand? u kiddin me?

Got a more detailed instructional plan with pictures? Perhaps a DIY book I can pick up at any bookstore (though not on Molokai)?
                      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post

FWIW it's quoting a 17-year payback on 25 cents/KWHr electric rates. That's ahead of the typical 25-year payback that most people shoot for, and that payback doesn't include the effects of inflation. So with every rate hike over the next decade you could be kicking yourself.

As has been pointed out, if you do an installation over more than one year then you can continue to take the federal credit every year that you spend the money-- so that $2K credit could be expanded to $6K or even more. (We ended up taking credits on more than half the cost of our system.) But contractors would prefer to visit the job site just once and may not always share that info with you.

Another option might be spending $5-$10K on insulation & EnergyStar appliances to help drive down the size of that electric bill. It's almost always easier to cut consumption than it is to raise production.

Actually, we were quoted "With a net system cost of $35,4000 and a yearly electricity cost savings of $$2,268, this investment returns all of its costs in
                        8 years leaving you with a virtual profit center on your rooftop, offsetting over $273,963 in electricity costs over the system's lifetime."

We were also told that the federal tax credits expire in 2008 and they are not sure if they will be renewed past 2008. I can't imagine why they would not be renewed but maybe that was said so we would consider doing the whole system at once rather than a four year installation plan.

With the 4 year plan we would be putting up 6-8 solar panels a year for 4 years and getting the tax credits each year so the total after tax credits would be about $8500 a year which is a much easier pill to swallow. Also as the technology improves we can take advantage of the latest & greatest panels & inverters.

We're still deciding....

Comment

Actually, we were quoted "With a net system cost of $35,4000 and a yearly electricity cost savings of $$2,268, this investment returns all of its costs in 8 years leaving you with a virtual profit center on your rooftop
                          Even for a sales staff, that's pretty bold math...

Comment

Working...
                          X