License plate requirements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License plate requirements?

I'm not sure what the plates are called by I mean the ones that have something written on the left side of the plate....for example, Combat Veteran, Korea Veteran, etc.

The other day I saw one I haven't seen before and was quite shocked: Electric Vehicle

It's not the fact that there is a license plate with that on it but what caught my attention was that it was on a Toyota Prius. For you who don't know, the Prius is a HYBRID vehicle and NOT an electric vehicle.

So, is it a mistake by the owner of the car and the C&C or are Hybrid vehicles actually classified as electric by the C&C even though they are not?

Re: License plate requirements?

An electric Prius? SHOCKING! But I wouldn't put it past the electric vehicle project here in the Islands. They're quite progressive, so maybe they have one equipped for a test run.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      An electric Prius? SHOCKING! But I wouldn't put it past the electric vehicle project here in the Islands. They're quite progressive, so maybe they have one equipped for a test run.
      Isn't there a local company that specializes in converting internal combustion engine for electric engine on existing frameworks like a Mustang or a Hummer?

Then again, what are the mimimum requirements for designating an electric vehicle? I know that Toyota is considering making plug-in hybrid-electric vehicles, which is what most electric vehicles in the past have: a port or perhaps a pronged adapter to plug into an electrical outlet to charge the battery overnight to full capacity.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
        I double checked the back of the car and it said Hybrid indeed. If it was a modified engine I would think they would state that.

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
          It's not the fact that there is a license plate with that on it but what caught my attention was that it was on a Toyota Prius. For you who don't know, the Prius is a HYBRID vehicle and NOT an electric vehicle.
          The non-American versions of the Prius have an "EV" dashboard button that allows for low-speed short-distance driving without the engine kicking in. Restoring this feature on American models is only an afternoon's work and about $25 parts. So maybe he was having fun at C&C's expense.

There are several different commercial kits to modify a hybrid to a plug-in vehicle, and even a couple of DIY procedures. So that Prius might have been a plug-in hybrid. It could even have had its ECU software hacked or replaced to keep the engine off at speeds higher than 42 mph, although that risks physical damage to the motor generator. And in any case Toyota claims that their warranty is invalidated by these conversions.

Originally posted by amagab View Post
          So, is it a mistake by the owner of the car and the C&C or are Hybrid vehicles actually classified as electric by the C&C even though they are not?
          I'm guessing it's C&C. When we transferred our Prius registration the clerk wanted to know if the transmission was manual or automatic and got quite annoyed when I said "continuously variable". My options were explained to me and I chose "automatic" so that we wouldn't be there all day.
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

How about a license plate frame that reads Shaka You Fawka? Is that legal?

Comment

Working...
            X