Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Outcome of Penance

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    In 1995, I went to the wedding (in Guelph, Ontario) of a close friend who is a popular Canadian musician. She had sung backing vocals on a couple of his albums, and she and Ash Sood (her drummer and eventually her husband) came from Vancouver for the wedding. They performed "Ice Cream" at the party afterwards, and we got the chance to talk for a while (she, Ash, the AF & I were the "West Coast contingent").

That was also an interesting trip for the AF & I, as we had only been dating for about three months at the time, but took a week-long cross-Canada driving trip to get there. People told us a trip like that would test the relationship - either breaking us apart or bringing us much closer together. Thirteen years later, we are still together - while the friend's marriage ended about two years ago.
    Sweet story, bittersweet ending. I love Sarah McLaughlin's music, but none of it works for me during my ayem 24HF workout sessions. I can still hear her rendition of "Rainbow Connection," the Sesame Street hit that I would sing to my girls at night. She's got an amazing voice. Has anyone seen her promo to rescue tortured animals? Talk about yanking your heart strings! My girls stop everything to watch that.

Now back to your carefully chosen words.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Welcome, SP.

I'm less interested in punctuation and spelling, in respect to internet discussion, and more interested in content. SP's writing sounds kind of like it's passed through the filter of the I Ching or Tao te Ching.

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
      Pure, putrescent, pretentious poopycock [sic].

Life is easy, the challenge is death. If and when you conquer it, you'll be an adult.
      Your criticism could be applied to your own words.
      Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
      I have a friend who used to live in NYC but flew every month to the Czech Republic, to conduct an orchestra there. His ear is so well trained, he can't stand pop music. I once played my favorite Sarah McLachlan song for him, and he actually winced in pain:
      One of my best friends is a professional jazz drummer. In college, his professors were jass purists. They convinced him that popular music was bollocks. He missed out on years of great music until he finally broke out of that cage.

As far as 'diffrent'/avant/unconventional style is concerned, certainly many of the best of the best have been trailblazers. What if someone had said to Miles Davis, Jimi Hendrix, or Vincent Van Gough, "Hey, you can't do that" and they had listened. Maybe that's why Van Gough cut off his ear. His way of saying "I don't wanna hear it". Imagine how many 'critics' laughed at Picasso when he fired-up his cubism.

If your goal is to make art, make it the truest, most honest expression of your 'self' that you can. If you do this, from my perspective, you will have succeeded. If your goal is to make a living, you might have to speak a 'language' others can understand. Some people are fortunate enough to do both without compromising.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
        If your goal is to make art, make it the truest, most honest expression of your 'self' that you can. If you do this, from my perspective, you will have succeeded. If your goal is to make a living, you might have to speak a 'language' others can understand. Some people are fortunate enough to do both without compromising.
        Nicely put, Jim.

I wish I could find it easily, but several years ago, the comic strip "Pearls Before Swine" did a Sunday piece on "What Might Have Been..." It showed several scenes throughout history, with "experts" speaking with the parents of a young Miles Davis, a young Wolfgang Mozart and others; in each case, telling the parents about the odd or unusual nature of their children, with recommendations for "treatment."

The final panel takes place in a record store --- and the only discs on all the shelves are variations of Muzak.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
          Hahaha. Naughty naughty, Kani
          sounded like a little S&M going on and we all were/are voyeurs?

ah, i don't mind being a voyeur to any hter's posts many of which are very clever and quick witted. a laugh goes a long way. as a former co-worker once said, "good for da body." ah, laughing that is....
          "chaos reigns within.
          reflect, repent and reboot.
          order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Working...
          X