Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrie Monarch 2009

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
    the video of ke kai o kahiki's hula kahiko is already on you tube. I just can't stop watching it![...]
    wow!!!

Comment

It works on haole women, too....

Kane kahiko is my favorite; dramatic and powerful. I'm glad they posted it on youtube; I watched a bunch of videos on the kitv website yesterday. I loved Cherissa's auana, and really liked the Waipahu Halau Hula O Hokulani kahiko with their powerful dance and the cool underskirts that chattered throughout the dance.

Most of what I saw was through the videos on kitv.com; DH doesn't like to watch it, and that way I get past most of the commercials. Unfortunately I miss a lot of the explanations, too.

Comment

Yay for MM 2010!! Unfortunately, tonight's broadcast seems to be having audio problems. There's no sound!! Is anyone else experiencing this?
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I have audio
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I, too, have audio. That said, they've had 1 hour to straighten it out since TG's post. It's absolutely gorgeous in HD.

Comment

Another win for Ke Kai O Kahiki! YAY!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w3lSgvkFyI

The highlight of last night (one of many) was the tribute to Uncle George Na'ope - to see everyone around the stadium dancing to his song, including kumu and the judges, was so touching. I must admit, I did shed a tear!

Lowlight (IMO) was that Johnny Lum Ho's halau did not place for wahine kahiko or auana. I don't know the politics and without being fluent in 'olelo hawai'i, i realize i can never truly 'understand' hula but I know what I like and I thought his halau were fantastic - esp. the tribute to kalaupapa (kahiko). WOW! Of course, the judges did not agree...
              Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
              My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Working...
              X