Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Radio LPs

Aloha from Texas!

I wanted to share my Web site, in hopes that HT forum members can shed some light on a my little project - radio station compilations.

http://www.radiouseonly.com

I have several Hawaii LPs, but I know there are more out there - if you have any, please let me know - I would love to add them. I also have a couple of radio station released 45s - but would love to find more (check out the singles page too).

Also, if you appear on any of these albums (either a performer or a DJ during these recordings), please contact me. I have started a blog where I interview folks about their experiences.

Enjoy!

Lisa

Re: Hawaii Radio LPs

I was all excited as I turned on my speaker volume and went to the site.

photo and text only.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
      I was all excited as I turned on my speaker volume and went to the site. photo and text only.
      Sorry - I hope to add snippets of songs soon - but right now I've had blinders on just getting the hundreds of pieces of vinyl, and all of that information that goes with it, up.

I hope you enjoy it all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa_Wheeler View Post
        Sorry - I hope to add snippets of songs soon - but right now I've had blinders on just getting the hundreds of pieces of vinyl, and all of that information that goes with it, up.
        I hope you enjoy it all the same.
        I figured it had to do with copyrights, royalties, or the such. Too busy - humm, sorry, hadn't even thought of that.
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Several have been released in Hawaii.

KKUA AM 690

- Homegrown I (1976)
          - Homegrown II (1977)
          - Homegrown III (1978)

KDEO AM 940

- Homegrown IV (1980)

There was discussion about the Homegrown albums at this thread:
          http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=5564

All of them were fundraisers for Habilitat who has released some of the classic tracks to a compilation.

http://www.habilitat.org/products.html

For a several years back in the 1980s KIKI radio did the "Brown Bags to Stardom" series of albums.

In 1972 KKUA also issed a the KKUA Sold Gold album which was an LP of oldies.

In the mid 1980s KPOI 97.5 FM issued 1 or 2 compilation CDs of classic rock hits. Forgot what the names of the albums were but I know I have one. My copy unfortunately suffered "CD rot".

The old KPOI AM 1380 also issued oldies compilation on vinyl in the early and mid 1960s. Don't have any of them but I saw a few in bad condition at Jellys and other second hand record stores in the past.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Thank you for the info! Good stuff!

I'm going to add the KDEO very soon (just found that one).

I have two "brown bags" - if there were others, I would love to know.

Don't you just love that KPOI Twist record? I just love that whole series. I need some help IDing the DJs on that one - I'm having a hard time with the signatures on the front. Hoping someone on here can shed some light.

Will also add the songs to that KPOI Rock to Riches LP that I have - just found those this week.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
              In the mid 1980s KPOI 97.5 FM issued 1 or 2 compilation CDs of classic rock hits. Forgot what the names of the albums were ...
              See attachment.

I've only see "Vol 1", however reading the small print on the back, it seems to be a commercial compilation, something like "Classics Vol 2".
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi, I've been collecting these CD's made by Discovery Artists and distributed through local radio stations. Can you tell me whether this was a 2-cd issue? I've read elsewhere on the internet that it was, with the music that was on Volumes 2 and 4 on the versions distributed in some other cities. The artwork you show is from Volume 2 in other cities (I'll attempt to include a picture of one here.) I'd love to get my hands on the KPOI version, even if the CD doesn't work.
                Thanks, Dale

I've only see "Vol 1", however reading the small print on the back, it seems to be a commercial compilation, something like "Classics Vol 2".[/quote]
                Last edited by ohioguy; January 2, 2009, 09:04 AM. Reason: Trying to add image

Comment

From the '60s, I have BOSS DANCE HITS; BATTLE OF THE BANDS; WAIKIKI SURF BATTLE 1 & 2; and LIVE FROM THE FUNNY FARM.

Comment

Originally posted by ohioguy View Post
                    Can you tell me whether this was a 2-cd issue?
                    I didn't even know they were selling them until I stumbled across it in a record store. (It was at 404 Piikoi. I think it was Jelly's, but it might have been Froggies or Records Hawaii as they've all had stores in that micro-mall at one time or another.)

I don't know as there's any way to tell if there were other KPOI volumes unless you find one.

Something you might do is call up Jelly's and ask for Norm. He's a music guru when it comes to CDs and stuff.

Comment

Anyone else who bought the old KPOI 97.5 CDs suffered from CD rot? What about other CDs in the series from other markets? Have those CDs stood the test of time? I'm bummed my one and only volume of the 97.5 CD did not survive for very long. It has some good tracks on it, especially the long version of "Green Eyed Lady" by Sugarloaf.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I was able to rip mine in the last year. The only CD I found that seems to have died is a used Seals & Crofts.

Comment

Anyone else who bought the old KPOI 97.5 CDs suffered from CD rot? What about other CDs in the series from other markets? Have those CDs stood the test of time? I'm bummed my one and only volume of the 97.5 CD did not survive for very long. It has some good tracks on it, especially the long version of "Green Eyed Lady" by Sugarloaf.
                          Got my long-version of GREEN-EYED LADY from my Sugarloaf LP of decades ago.

Comment

Thanks GeckoGeek for the info. Mel, my CD's from this series have held up fine. I can send you a copy from another market if you PM me your address. I'd love to trade it for your "rot" copy if you're willing to part with it, although all I'm really looking for is the artwork/case.
                            Dale

Comment

In the mid 1980s KPOI 97.5 FM issued 1 or 2 compilation CDs of classic rock hits. Forgot what the names of the albums were but I know I have one. My copy unfortunately suffered "CD rot".
                              Wow! I had never heard of this phenomenon, CD rot, before... I had to goggle to understand it. Thank you, Mel. That is very helpful!

SB
                              barb

Comment

Working...
                              X