Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And so the 2008 Beijing Olympic begins

Originally posted by Random View Post
    Congrats to USA gymnasts Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson for winning the gold and silver (respectively) in the All-Around Competition.
    Did you root for the one who look like a midwestern American or the exotic American one with the Eastern European name? Are you reading this Cokie Roberts?

Comment

Just watched Phelps score his seventh gold. I thought for sure he lost (it's a fix, I thought) until they showed the replay. How close can you get? Unbelievable!

Comment

it was a bite your nails kinda women's volleyball game against china today. they won the first set, lost the 2nd and 3rd, won the 4th and 5th set tie breaker.
        "chaos reigns within.
        reflect, repent and reboot.
        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Has anyone else noticed how many gastrointestinal problems suffered by the athletes are being reported by the announcers? It seems to me that almost every event has at least one or 2 athletes who either are or recently have suffered an "upset stomach"/"gastrointestinal problems"/"stomach bug"/"food poisoning". Dang...I can't imagine feeling that rotten and having to perform at Olympic levels.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Has anyone else noticed how many gastrointestinal problems suffered by the athletes are being reported by the announcers? It seems to me that almost every event has at least one or 2 athletes who either are or recently have suffered an "upset stomach"/"gastrointestinal problems"/"stomach bug"/"food poisoning". Dang...I can't imagine feeling that rotten and having to perform at Olympic levels.
            I'm impressed that none of the athletes I've seen interviewed have made any excuses if they didn't win. None of them said they were injured or feeling lousy and thus didn't win or score in the top. A couple have said they were injured or not well but thems the breaks when you're an athlete.

Comment

Earlier today I heard one gold medalist mention that she had food poisoning 2 or 3 days ago. Within the last hour I heard mentioned that the Aussie swimmer, Grant Hackett, had awakened early this morning with a stomach upset. He had to swim the 1500m heat. Ouch! The announcers talked about his illness during the race. There was no post-race interview. Phelps wasn't feeling well during one of his events. That didn't stop him, needless to say!!! Adrenaline is amazing!

I agree, Adri, I've not heard any excuses either. I did hear, either yesterday or today, that one athlete dropped out of his event due to illness. Can you imagine? All that training and qualifying only to get too sick on the day of the event to participate? Whatta heart breaker.

I don't recall the plethora of reported illnesses I've heard about during the past week in previous Olympics.

Comment

Phelps did it! He got #8! Amazing. And, Visa had a congratulatory commercial in the can...just in case. It was the first commercial to air after the event.

Comment

Phelps did it! He got #8! Amazing. And, Visa had a congratulatory commercial in the can...just in case. It was the first commercial to air after the event.
                  Michael "Good Morning" Mr. Phelps completed the Mission Impossible.

Comment

That's why star pro athletes have their own personal chef. There have been cases of food poisoning by the room service for their home team against a visiting star player.

Comment

Travellers are always warned about the food and drink in China. The athletes no matter how careful are bound to get some sort of ailment from the water and food in China. Probably from brushing thier teeth or something. All the advancements the Chinese have made and they still don't have clean drinking water.
                      GO RAIL GO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bf334 View Post
                        Travellers are always warned about the food and drink in China.
                        They should've brought their own spam musubi.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                          Michael "Good Morning" Mr. Phelps completed the Mission Impossible.
                          Meh. What was impossible is swimming while your goggle is leaking in water, and you're breaking a world record.
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                            Meh. What was impossible is swimming while your goggle is leaking in water, and you're breaking a world record.
                            Wow! He had time to goggle during the swimming races. I have to watch those again in slow motion.

Comment

When I watch the gymnastics, I wonder about the spotters. Especially for the women in the high bars. What, exactly, would they do if one of the women fell off? It seems that the spotters would only possibly get bonked on the way down and not prevent the gymnast from falling.

Comment

Wow, Jenn Stuczynski's coach is a butthead. Dude just chewed her out for winning a silver medal in the pole vault (gold medal winner set WR in women's pole vault).
                                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X