Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Isaac Hayes

Sad news from this story on CNN.com:

Soul singer and arranger Isaac Hayes, who won Grammy awards and an Oscar for the theme from the 1971 action film "Shaft," has died, sheriff's officials in Memphis, Tennessee, reported Sunday.
    Singer Issac Hayes seen performing in the U.K. last year. Hayes was found dead Sunday at age 65.
    Relatives found Hayes, 65, unconscious in his home next to a still-running treadmill, said Steve Shular, a spokesman for the Shelby County Sheriff's Department.
    (...)
    Hayes was a longtime songwriter and arranger for Stax Records in Memphis, playing in the studio's backup band and crafting tunes for artists such as Otis Redding and Sam and Dave in the 1960s.
    He released his first solo album in 1967, and his 1969 follow-up, "Hot Buttered Soul," became a platinum hit.
    In 1971, the theme from "Shaft" topped the Billboard Hot 100 for two weeks and won an Academy Award for best original theme song. The song and the movie score also won Grammy awards for best original score and movie theme.
    Hayes won a third Grammy for pop instrumental performance with the title track to his 1972 "Black Moses" album.
    From the late 1990s through 2006, Hayes provided the voice of "Chef" for Comedy Central's raunchy animated series "South Park," as well as numerous songs.
    (...)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: R.I.P. Isaac Hayes

Oh damn. Who will be #3? If he was on the treadmill it makes me wonder if this is another Tim Russert type of incident. That is, feeling fine right up 'til the unexpected end. I hope so 'cuz that's the way to go.

I'm such an Isaac Hayes fan and remember well when "Shaft" hit the charts. I downloaded that tune earlier this year for my all time favorites playlist. I also love his version of "Walk on By". So sultry...

RIP, Isaac.

Comment

Shaq uses Isaac Hayes' catch phrase of "Can You Dig It."

Comment

Yeah, TutuSue, I was wondering how many of the younger HT members even know who Isaac Hayes was.
        The music world has lost a giant.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          RIP, Isaac.
          "You're damn right!"

Comment

I have loved the "Shaft" theme ever since I watched the film. I also watched a bit of South Park and enjoyed his performances there. Farewell, Chef.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
              Shaq uses Isaac Hayes' catch phrase of "Can You Dig It."
              SHUT YOAH MOUT!!! We can DIG IT!

I had to play my "Theme From Shaft" as soon as I heard the news. I cannot dig it.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Rest In Peace Chef...South Park was never the same when he left

Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                Flickr

Comment

unbelievable! another one.. my he rip, too.

Comment

Just caught the tail end of a NPR retrospective discussion involving former personel in his recording life. The audio/info should come up soon. Check www.npr.org for the correct program it aired on.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Gandolf Fitch - 2 amongst some of the best "Rockford Files" episodes featured
                      Isaac Hayes as that character also known as "Gandy." Great storylines!
                      In addition to his musical achievements and honors this bit of acting was
                      one of my favorites! Bless his soul and family.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Oh damn. Who will be #3? If he was on the treadmill it makes me wonder if this is another Tim Russert type of incident. That is, feeling fine right up 'til the unexpected end. I hope so 'cuz that's the way to go.

I'm such an Isaac Hayes fan and remember well when "Shaft" hit the charts. I downloaded that tune earlier this year for my all time favorites playlist. I also love his version of "Walk on By". So sultry...

RIP, Isaac.
                        Morgan Freeman almost was the 3rd death, I guess he is lucky he is recovering from the accident. I wonder if Freeman and Hayes were in the same Memphis hospital.

I have wonderful video of Isaac in his prime performing hits like "Shaft" on the Grammy Awards in the early 70's. He was one of the greats, always liked him!

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                          Just caught the tail end of a NPR retrospective discussion involving former personel in his recording life. The audio/info should come up soon. Check www.npr.org for the correct program it aired on.
                          I heard this in the afternoon today. I heard him talk about choosing the shaved head and bearded face look, the way he'd dress on stage; it was a great little show with Sherri Gross. I'd recommend it as well.
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I have a feeling that Mrs. Freeman would like to make Morgan #3.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                              it was a great little show with Sherri Gross. I'd recommend it as well.
                              Ah, might that be Terry Gross? If so, then the NPR show is "Fresh Air." Here would be the link to the 8/11/08 segment.

Comment

Working...
                              X