Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cokie Roberts thinks we're all furriners here

On THIS WEEK Sunday, pundit Cokie Roberts declared of Barack Obama:

"[G]oing off this week to a vacation in Hawaii ... does not make any sense whatsoever. I know his grandmother lives in Hawaii and I know Hawaii is a state, but it has the look of him going off to some sort of foreign, exotic place. He should be in Myrtle Beach, and, you know, if he's going to take a vacation at this time."

And then pretty much repeated herself Monday on NPR.

We're exotic!
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Re: Cokie Roberts thinks we're all furriners here

What's so great about Myrtle Beach?

We're damn exotic. We're the most exotic of all America.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

That Cokie! She's so Kookie! I could be wrong, but Obama's R&R here on Oahu could be the shot in the arm the HVCB and the HTA needs at this point. We're domestic, accessible AND exotic. I just love how frequently he stops in on Tutu! Not only are we all that, we're FAMILY, too!!!
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
        We're domestic, accessible...
        Are you?

Comment

Well, at least Cokie got no slack from the comments to the article that I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
            Well, at least Cokie got no slack from the comments to the article that I have seen.
            That’s because it wasn’t an article, it was a television segment on ABC This Week. As you can see by the comments, they were almost exclusively negative.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Oops, I meant this article:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200808100001

But also these articles:

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/0...-myrtle-beach/

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/207883.php

http://the-reaction.blogspot.com/200...-of-cokie.html

http://www.americablog.com/2008/08/c...again-for.html

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                "... He should be in Myrtle Beach, and, you know, if he's going to take a vacation at this time."
                I wonder what the population of Myrtle Beach is and how many electoral votes it contributes.

I've been to Myrtle Beach, and it's certainly not Hawaii...
                Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                  Are you?
                  I was talkin 'bout SHAFT!! SHUT YO MOUTH! Can you dig it?
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Well, if you spell "foreigners" like that, she might have cause...

At this rate, I'm surprised she didn't criticize Obama for not watching "911", the documentary joke, in place of Batman.

Comment

On THIS WEEK Sunday, pundit Cokie Roberts declared of Barack Obama:

"[G]oing off this week to a vacation in Hawaii ... does not make any sense whatsoever. I know his grandmother lives in Hawaii and I know Hawaii is a state, but it has the look of him going off to some sort of foreign, exotic place. He should be in Myrtle Beach, and, you know, if he's going to take a vacation at this time."
                      Was Cokie Roberts stating code for what she really wanted to say about a minority state so far away? I think she expects people in Hawaii to bow down to her when she visits. I'm not worthy!

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                        Was Cokie Roberts stating code for what she really wanted to say about a minority state so far away? I think she expects people in Hawaii to bow down to her when she visits. I'm not worthy!
                        You would.

Mainlanders ... think they know what's best for us.

Comment

[...]
                          "[G]oing off this week to a vacation in Hawaii ... does not make any sense whatsoever. I know his grandmother lives in Hawaii and I know Hawaii is a state, but it has the look of him going off to some sort of foreign, exotic place. He should be in Myrtle Beach, and, you know, if he's going to take a vacation at this time."[...]
                          Such a strange reaction to Hawaii; that it can't be home to someone. Obama has stated on several occasions that he hasn't seen his tutu since 12/06. Never mind that his sister lives here, too! I guess Hawaii's just too exotic to be considered a home state.

Eldest spawn has received similar reactions when she says she's going "home" for the long week-end or that she was raised in Hawaii. Some people look at her with a "Yah. Right!" expression on their faces while others verbally question her reality!

Weird, I tell ya. Weird!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            Eldest spawn has received similar reactions when she says she's going "home" for the long week-end or that she was raised in Hawaii. Some people look at her with a "Yah. Right!" expression on their faces while others verbally question her reality!
                            Weird, I tell ya. Weird!
                            Every Mainland trip we get the same reaction at least once:
                            "You're from Hawaii and you're visiting here?!?"

I guess it's like seeing an animal get loose from the zoo...
                            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

From Sen. Daniel Inouye via KITV:
                              We've been fighting this for 50 years now. I think we've conducted ourselves in an American way... The question comes up, "What is America, and who is American?" I would resent anyone suggesting that my roots are not American.
                              From Sen. Daniel Akaka via Crooks and Liars:
                              Saying our 50th state is somehow “foreign,” does a great disservice to the hard working, patriotic Americans who call Hawaii home. For months people have been asking me, ‘when is Sen. Obama going to come home?’ I’m so glad he found time to visit his sister and his grandmother, show his daughters more of his home state, and relax a little. Hawaii is a great U.S. destination, just ask the 5.5 million Americans who visited last year for business and pleasure.
                              From Rep. Neil Abercrombie via the Star-Bulletin:
                              If he had gone someplace else, people would be asking, 'Why didn't he go home to Hawaii, why didn't he go see his grandma? Her home is a couple of blocks from the hospital he was born in, from the school he went to. Honolulu is a little town. It's not some sort of exotic locality.
                              And via KITV:
                              She's a bit of a fool. That's the only thing you can say.
                              UH Journalism prof Gerald Kato via the Star-Bulletin:
                              You would think that in this day and age, such Neanderthal ideas would be way past. I guess in politics, anything goes. ... They want to tar Obama with being sort of exotic, out of the mainstream, as if he's not really from America. You can do that with words and with pictures, I suppose. The campaign is trying to be very cautious.
                              HVCB president John Monahanvia the Star-Bulletin
                              We're confused by her sense of geography. Aside from the fact that Sen. Obama was born and raised here, he really is just one of the millions of Americans who choose to vacation in the islands and know that it's part of the United States. That's one of the advantages. No passport is required and a dollar is dollar here. ... Sen. Obama or anyone else can do business worldwide, 24/7, while in Honolulu.
                              Last edited by pzarquon; August 13, 2008, 07:23 AM. Reason: Correctly attributing quotes!

Comment

Working...
                              X