X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Longs to become CVS?

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Uhhhh, correct me if I am wrong. But we've had a monopoly situation for over a decade now since Payless has left the scene, riiiight???
    Not exactly. Walgreen’s has expressed a firm commitment to the Hawai‘i market that includes building more stores than Longs Drugs can shake a stick at. They are in a much better position as a nationwide chain than Payless to compete head to head with Longs.

there have been two seperate attempts by Payless, as well as one by Pay-N-Save. All of them challenged Longs. All of them ended up failing after a few years.
    I wouldn’t put just two chains in the category of “all.” Neither of the two you cite was anywhere near as big as Walgreen’s, which already has more stores than Longs nationally, and already has local fans like anapuni.

It wouldn't be too hard for Walgreen's lawyers to shred up an antitrust suit filed against them.
    I highly doubt that. Walgreen has already given up on their bid, and even if economic conditions turned around in time for them to change their mind, replacing a smaller regional monopoly (Longs) with a bigger national monopoly (Walgreen’s) would have antitrust regulators easily having the last say before it ever got to a lawsuit stage. It’s CVS’ ballgame to lose, at this point.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Uhhhh, correct me if I am wrong. But we've had a monopoly situation for over a decade now since Payless has left the scene, riiiight???
      Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
      Not exactly.
      FACT: Payless left the Hawaii market in 1995.

http://connection.ebscohost.com/cont...8B8A364.ehctc1

FACT: Walgreens did not open up their first store in Hawaii until 2007.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...710230318.html

These facts tell me that Long's had a drug store chain monopoly here for 12 years. 12 years is "over a decade," at least in my book. The one that matches the dictionary.

Walgreen’s has expressed a firm commitment to the Hawai‘i market that includes building more stores than Longs Drugs can shake a stick at. They are in a much better position as a nationwide chain than Payless to compete head to head with Longs.
      And? People are obliged to feel sympathy for Long's? GMAB! This is a business.

there have been two seperate attempts by Payless, as well as one by Pay-N-Save. All of them challenged Longs. All of them ended up failing after a few years.
      I wouldn’t put just two chains in the category of “all.”
      Oh? There were "other" drug store chains in Hawaii, besides Payless and Pay-n-Save prior to Walgreen's entry in 2007? Could you name them? (Not that it matters a whit, since stores X, Y, Z, and anyone else you can come up with all bit the dust.)

Neither of the two you cite was anywhere near as big as Walgreen’s, which already has more stores than Longs nationally, and already has local fans like anapuni.
      And we saw how grandly successful that argument worked out for Aloha Airlines against Mesa, right?
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Don't forget Thrifty and Stewart's Pharmacies!

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
          Don't forget Thrifty and Stewart's Pharmacies!
          LOL! Now, that's going back a-ways, fer sure.

I've heard of Stewart's, but that's before my time.

Thrifty's at its peak only had a handful of locations. 4 or 5 stores, if even that. Thrifty's owner Sidney Kosasa achieved much greater success with another retail business. Maybe some of you have heard of it before. (Hint: All Blocks Covered in Waikiki.)

And yes, I'm aware that we have had a few Rexall and Sav-Mor drug stores in the islands too. But they were just small, neighborhood pharmacies which clearly did not compete with the likes of Long's and Payless.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

hi this is sansei and this morning,i went to long's pali and when i went to purchase a pre-paid phone card the one i usually purchase,they said they didnt have it so i asked the sale's lady if they had anyother's and she said no,i assumed they still would sell pre-paid phone card's,

so i went to kam long's and i asked if they still sell the one i was going to purchase at pali and they said they didnt have any so i asked if they had any other's for $10.00 and they had oceanic pre-paid phone card so i purchased one and then i went to Star to search and hopefully purchase peache's and it's out of season so i also thought they had bettycrocker pie crust in the box only nothing so when i came home,i called time's and they have what im looking for so one day this week,.i'll be going down and purchasing what i need so i thought to share this with everyone.

it maybe tomorrow since im going to cultural plaza to see if they have the chinese new year's calendar so before i go,i may call and see if they have them so if they do,im going to purchase one for my eldest sister so i thought to share this with everyone.

also Kam Long's is still the same.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Kam Walgreens might be open before Thanksgiving according to some workers I talked to last week. Previous reports had it not opening until March 2009.

Aj

Comment

hi this is sansei and in response to kalihiboy,i believe i know the kam's walgreen,it's where they closed kam bowl and that walgreen's is being built there,may i be correct? I believe since Cvs bought out Long's that this kam's walgreen will be the one built on the site of formerly kam bowl.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Comment

Yes sansei, Kam Walgreens is on the site on the former Kam Bowl.

Aj

Comment

• Re: Longs to become CVS?

Hmmm...hopefully, CVS’ recent personnel decisions are not an indication of things to come. The San Francisco Chronicle seems to hint that the “mass layoff” is a one-time thing to eliminate redundancy... but in this economy, you never can tell.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

hi this is sansei and i visited kam center and i wouldnt go today of all day's to kam center is when you try to enter from the houghtailing side where the traffic light's are,both sides are closed is they are re-paving where you enter and leave and you'd have to go out by the bank side which is american saving's bank so i thought to share this with everyone.

also it had trafficbackup in the parking lot so be careful.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
                          also it had trafficbackup in the parking lot so be careful.
                          Mahalo for the heads up Sansei.
                          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

hi this is sansei and your welcome matapule, and today i went to Kam Shopping Center and on the back enterance, they are working on the road and you can enter through the front and be careful is they are also working on walgreen's and it's almost done and they also have some of the christmas reef's on the roof of Kam Shopping center so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time

Comment

I think it's funny that they have decided to keep the "Long's" name.
                              So that locals won't think of CVS as an outsider(foreigner) putting a hometown business out of business.

HaHa! Funny stuff right there.
                              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                                I think it's funny that they have decided to keep the "Long's" name. So that locals won't think of CVS as an outsider (foreigner) putting a hometown business out of business.

HaHa! Funny stuff right there.
                                Honestly, I don’t see the humor it it. But maybe that’s because it was a very astute business decision by CVS — to recognize local tendencies — and I am just impressed. But if you want to get technical, CVS didn’t put anyone out of business in Hawai‘i. Longs is still operating all of its stores, no store managers have been fired (to my knowledge) and no layoffs have occurred. In fact, a Longs worker told me the only change that has occurred is they will begin honoring CVS’ employee discount.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X