Another takeover of Iolani Palace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another takeover of Iolani Palace

I'm a bit surprised that there's been no mention yet of last night's takeover of Iolani Palace by yet another sovereignty group, one that nobody had heard of before.
    You can click here for the Advertiser's story and you can also click here to see the Star Bulletin's story.
    Twenty-two people were arrested. One or more of them attacked a palace volunteer while a police officer just stood by and watched.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Another takeover of Iolani Palace

Awww, man! And on statehood day?!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Beating up that poor volunteer is definately not the way to gain support for their cause. What a bunch of jerks. I'm glad they were arrested, and I hope that they are fully prosecuted. I repeat - What A Bunch Of Jerks!
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
        Awww, man! And on statehood day?!
        I believe they did it specifically because it was Statehood Day.
        I agree with your second post too, of course, and will add again that I think that cop who refused to help should be investigated, or at least the reason he refused, saying it was not his "jurisdiction." If that's really the truth, then that's a rule that clearly needs to be changed immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          I believe they did it specifically because it was Statehood Day.
          I agree with your second post too, of course, and will add again that I think that cop who refused to help should be investigated, or at least the reason he refused, saying it was not his "jurisdiction." If that's really the truth, then that's a rule that clearly needs to be changed immediately.
          I believe it is the truth. The officer could have responded if the state called HPD for assistance but the Palace is under the purview of the state and state law enforcement.

These guys are making a mockery of the Hawaiian sovereignty movement. Hawaiian groups need to work together; this kinds of antic serves no real purpose aside from unintentionally casting the Hawaiian sovereignty movement in a negative light.

Comment

Wow.. can't believe what is happening, li'dat!

Comment

Reminds me of when my daughter used to want to play tea-party, and pretend we were king and queen. So cute.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I think that cop who refused to help should be investigated, or at least the reason he refused, saying it was not his "jurisdiction." If that's really the truth, then that's a rule that clearly needs to be changed immediately.
                Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                I believe it is the truth. The officer could have responded if the state called HPD for assistance but the Palace is under the purview of the state and state law enforcement.
                Agreed. I am actually surprised that LikaNui, of all people, would post something so ignorant. Federal, state and city officers are responsible for their own jurisdiction. If anything, maybe this is a wake-up call to the state sheriffs.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                  Agreed. I am actually surprised that LikaNui, of all people, would post something so ignorant. Federal, state and city officers are responsible for their own jurisdiction. If anything, maybe this is a wake-up call to the state sheriffs.

This is utterly ridiculous. The lady was being physically assaulted all the while one of Honolulu's finest just stood there. All law enforcement are duty bound to protect the public's safety. By just standing there and doing nothing breaches that duty.

If he was concerned about jurisdiction, he could've called for DOCRE or Sheriffs to address the situation. But instead he did absolutely nothing. If this is true, this police officer is embarrassment to police officers everywhere.
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

I am actually surprised that LikaNui, of all people, would post something so ignorant. Federal, state and city officers are responsible for their own jurisdiction.
                    Jurisdictions are obvious to everyone, TuNnl. No need to call me ignorant, except that it shows your own ignorance.
                    The point is that the HPD officer did nothing. Didn't make any calls on his radio to the agents who could have handled it, even if the female might've been more injured due to a delayed response time, which is also an unacceptable delay.
                    In any case, mister-know-it-all, how about this Breaking News story:

Police to review 'Iolani Palace response

Gov. Linda Lingle said today that it would be a serious breach of the oath taken by officers of the Honolulu Police Department if reports are true that a police officer watched on and did nothing as a female palace employee was reportedly assaulted during a takeover of 'Iolani Palace by an activist group on Friday.
                    Meanwhile, Honolulu Police Chief Boisse Correa issued a statement that said "Although no formal complaint has been made, I am aware of the allegations regarding our initial response and have directed that an internal review be conducted."
                    Correa's statement said police assistance was requested by the state Department of Public Safety, which itself was assisting the state Department of Land and Natural Resources, which is responsible for palace security.
                    "As a result of the request, I authorized that all necessary resources be provided," the statement said. "HPD's position has always been to provide full support for any law enforcement agency that requests it. The individuals who were arrested had clearly violated the law."
                    The governor seemed even more concerned about another unconfirmed report that a caller who dialed 911 during the alleged assault was also told, "It's not our jurisdiction," the governor said yesterday when asked by a reporter.
                    "It's so serious that if either or both (of the allegations) is true, then there has been a serious breakdown in the law enforcement oath that people take," said Lingle.
                    Lingle stressed, however, that the allegations are so significant that it's important for people not to jump to any conclusions until the facts are known.
                    At this point, she stressed, the allegations are only rumors. However, she added that if it turns out there's any truth to either, "We'll need to sit down with the mayor, the council and the police commission and talk this through."
                    "But I want to caution everyone to reserve judgment until we know what the fact are."
                    (...)
                    Lingle said the DLNR is now in the process of reviewing the rules regarding 'Iolani Palace security. Those rules need to be rewritten in order to restrict access in order to maintain security, she said.
                    (...)
                    Fifteen of those arrested face misdemeanor trespassing charges. But another eight of the protesters were arrested on suspicion of second-degree burglary, a "C"-class felony under Hawai'i law punishable by up to five years in prison.
                    Those arrested on suspicion of the burglary offense were His Majesty Akahi Nui, leader of the group, as well as Wayne Nunes, Vinessa Fimbres, Tanya Kaahanui and Terry Kaahanui.
                    Also arrested on suspicion of burglary were Donald Love-Boltz, Waynette Nunes and Akahi Wahine
                    At 4 a.m. this morning, signs were posted at entrances to the place grounds saying the palace grounds are closed "until further notice."
                    The signs cited section 13-146-4 of the Hawaii Administrative Rules as the authority under which the grounds were closed.
                    The DLNR officers were backed up by a group of eight deputy sheriffs who kept watch of the palace grounds from the pedestrian mall between the State Capitol Building and the palace grounds.
                    (...)
                    Last edited by LikaNui; August 16, 2008, 05:27 PM. Reason: Fixed a mistook.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                      The lady was being physically assaulted all the while one of Honolulu's finest just stood there ... he could've called for DOCRE or Sheriffs to address the situation. But instead he did absolutely nothing.
                      The point is that the HPD officer did nothing. Didn't make any calls on his radio to the agents who could have handled it
                      Yet another ignorant statement. All of this is hearsay. You don’t know what occurred, you are simply making an assumption.
                      In any case, mister-know-it-all, how about this Breaking News story:
                      Apparently, you chose to ignore the most important part of the article:
                      Lingle stressed, however, that the allegations are so significant that it's important for people not to jump to any conclusions until the facts are known.

At this point, she stressed, the allegations are only rumors.
                      Well said, guvnah.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

CNN had picked up the palace takeover story earlier today, but they've now included the shameful police non-response to the assault.
                        Swell. Great national and international PR for our state. Nice going, HPD.

Comment

Yet another ignorant statement.
                          Yes, yours is.

All of this is hearsay. You don’t know what occurred, you are simply making an assumption.
                          Instead of spending your time attacking me, perhaps you should do a bit of checking and read the statements about the assault and the non-response from the eyewitnesses.
                          Gosh. Those pesky witnesses.

Comment

Instead of spending your time attacking me
                            At no time in this thread did I attack you. I simply called your statements ignorant, of which you have not provided any facts that call that assessment into dispute. You, on the other hand did attack me personally in post #10.

perhaps you should do a bit of checking and read the statements about the assault
                            Ah yes, more from the Star-Bulletin which you chose to ignore:
                            Alfred Love, a group member who contended he was a federal marshal, denied that anyone had been manhandled at a side gate.
                            Again, I implore you to wait until the facts come out, before making any judgements.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

TuNnl, you really are embarassing yourself.
                              I'm watching the 6pm KHON news as we speak, and leading the news they had some quotes from... eyewitnesses to the assault.

Alfred Love, a group member who contended he was a federal marshal, denied that anyone had been manhandled at a side gate.
                              Alfred was a member of the group that tried to take over the palace, right?
                              And he gave himself the title of "federal marshal", right?
                              And you wouldn't expect a member of that group to admit to the assault, right?
                              And you wonder why I chose to ignore that part of the SB article, right?

Anway. Back to the real story.
                              KHON interviewed the buffoon from Maui who claims to be the rightful king and who led the takeover attempt last night. He said his plan was to chain himself to the throne.
                              Except he said he and his group couldn't find the throne!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X