Another takeover of Iolani Palace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another takeover of Iolani Palace

I'm not going to go looking for it now, but it didn't sound like the woman was manhandled from what I read; it sounded like they were trying to shut the gate in front of her or behind her or something, which would explain her injuries.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

They better not dig out or pat themselves like they didn't bring their wallets when the high electricity bill, water bill, and the maintenance fee arrive for the Iolani Palace.
      What's the deal with protesters picking on the little helpless ones? These Iolani Palace protesters blitz a woman volunteer. The Olympics protesters attack a handicap athlete. The Superferry protesters started pounding on any automobiles exiting the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        I'm watching the 6pm KHON news as we speak, and leading the news they had some quotes from... eyewitnesses to the assault.
        Like scrivener has pointed out, it has not been determined that the woman in question was assaulted. The very 6pm KHON news you cite, included only one eyewitness in its report, the executive director of Friends of ‘Iolani Palace — hardly an “objective bystander.” Interesting that no assault charge has been filed, nor a complaint to HPD.

And you wouldn't expect a member of that group to admit to the assault, right? And you wonder why I chose to ignore that
        As I just stated above, you are choosing to ignore one group member in favor of another. Your case gets weaker by the second.

KHON interviewed the buffoon from Maui who claims to be the rightful king
        This type of name-calling does little to enhance your credibility. Sort of like your penchant to attack me, simply because I identified some ignorant bias in your earlier statements.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Okay, KHON has yesterday's story on their website at this link, including this quote from the self-proclaimed "king":
          “We was looking for the throne and the throne was down stairs I had the flashlight,” protestor Majesty Akahi Nui said.
          The leader of the group, Majesty Akahi Nui, says he is the king of the Kingdom of Hawaii and a descendant of King Kamehameha the great.
          “I wanted to be locked up on the throne, they was going to lock me up with all chains and I wanted to sit right there…we had the chain but we couldn’t find the throne,” Akahi Nui said.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            Like scrivener has pointed out, it has not been determined that the woman in question was assaulted.
            So the governor and police chief Correa are both demanding investigations into the assault because... ? Very clearly there are enough grounds to begin investigations into the HPD's inaction.

The very 6pm KHON news you cite, included only one eyewitness in its report
            But... but... just an hour ago you wrote that it was all "hearsay" and you argued with me about there being eyewitnesses. Now you have to agree you're aware of at least one.
            And that doesn't include the other witnesses that were quoted in the news earlier today.
            Hardly "hearsay."

, the executive director of Friends of ‘Iolani Palace — hardly an “objective bystander.” As I just stated above, you are choosing to ignore one group member in favor of another. Your case gets weaker by the second.
            No, yours does. Watch the KHON video interview of the "king" again, then ask yourself if he is more believable than the executive director of the Friends. If you were on the jury, who would you believe?

This type of name-calling does little to enhance your credibility.
            Again, watch the KHON video. The "king" is indeed a buffoon. He couldn't even find the freaking throne, much less lead the Kingdom Of Hawai`i.
            And by the way, your opinion of my credibility is of no concern to me at all. Especially after your uncalled-for attack of me over in the CNN Polls thread last week.
            Feel free to put me on Ignore. I promise not to lose any sleep over it.
            Now, can you stick to the story itself?

Comment

Watch the KHON video interview of the "king" again,

Elvis? Is that you? Oh wow, I knew you weren't dead.

Poor SovMov folks. No unity. No real plan. Poor execution. Lots of money wasted on lawyers who are giving bad advice. Jail time. Torn up families. Sad kids.

Get with the program you guys. Start with Pearl, as I've mentioned before. Do it during fleet week, so the harbor is stacked with subs and carriers. Be sure to coordinate with Hickam, Schofield, et al. Guarantee it's what Kamehameha would have done. With tons of blood and death.

Only then will anybody take you seriously.

glurg
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

If someone was injured, for whatever reason, are all the demonstrators liable?
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

It's Good to be the King. You can "cop a feel" any hot chick, and then wink at the camera.
                  Last edited by Walkoff Balk; August 16, 2008, 10:37 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    think that cop who refused to help should be investigated, or at least the reason he refused, saying it was not his "jurisdiction." If that's really the truth, then that's a rule that clearly needs to be changed immediately.
                    So if HPD has such a hard rule about jurisdiction, would the response be the same if someone were being stabbed to death? If there's a burglary in the State Library HPD wouldn't investigate? I recall seeing cops deal with an armed man on a sailboat -- they jumped him from a Coast Guard vessel. So where was the "jurisdiction" then?

Comment

In an on-camera interview, Akahi Nui admitted to having been convicted of prior felonies including burglary and assault. Nice going for someone claiming to be a descendant of alii. I'm sure all the Kamehamehas are proud of this guy since he claims to be part of that family's lineage... as so many others tend to do.

He claims to be alii and is unable to find the throne room? He wants to run an entirely independent country, but can't even find the dang chair!

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        Yet another ignorant statement. All of this is hearsay. You don’t know what occurred, you are simply making an assumption.
                        TuNnL, I don't appreciate you calling my opinion ignorant. I'm not stupid as your thinly veiled comment is implying.

I call it as I see it-if you can't deal with it, too bad. I'm sticking to my opinion until proven otherwise.
                        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

From Hawaii Reporter

"In a scuffle, three Kingdom of Hawaii Ministry Trust members harmed at least one palace worker, Noelani Ah Yuen, the facilities manager at Iolani Palace, when they slammed her in between the palace grounds gate. Ah Yuen, who was physically under attack, saw a city policeman nearby and called out for his help, but he refused to come to her aid saying the palace grounds are not his jurisdiction. She was taken to Queen’s Medical Center with injuries to her back and neck.

Kippen de Alba Chu, executive director of The Friends of Iolani Palace, was livid at the way the city law enforcement refused to help his staff or protect the palace.

“I personally witnessed one of our staff members being physically assaulted by a member of the Kingdom of Hawaii Nation. A police officer standing by did nothing to help her saying that it was not his jurisdiction. At one point during the evening the alarms went off in the barracks building and our security staff called 911. They were told it was not 911’s jurisdiction and to call the state. This extraordinary landmark and the people who care for it deserve every protection the state and our local police force can muster.”

Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

What's the stupid cop's name?

It's likely the cop is a sympathist for the SovMov. Just another opportunity in Hawaii for some smart lawyers to make a fortune off of someone's ignorance.

Akahi Nui admitted to having been convicted of prior felonies including burglary and assault......I'm sure all the Kamehamehas are proud of this guy

King Kamehameha is revered in Hawaii despite the fact that he was a blood thirsty, sociopathic, murderer with no remorse. He "unified" the islands. He did not conquer them. Hogwash.

Let's go to a land, kill the leaders, and lots of the people, including some children, claim the resources, and install leaders that we like. We will do it under the guise of peacemaking and unifying.

You think I'm describing Kamehameha in Oahu or Bush in Iraq?
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

More of some interesting tidbits in today's Star-Bulletin. First, from the story at this link we find these nuggets:
                              Followers of James Kimo Akahi had planned to chain him to the throne in Iolani Palace that he claims for the Kingdom of Hawaii.
                              But, Akahi said yesterday, the group couldn't find the throne room after breaking into the historic building.
                              Akahi, 67, of Haiku, Maui, said he had never been inside the palace until Friday -- Statehood Day -- when he and 22 others in a Hawaiian sovereignty group were arrested by state officers.
                              (...)
                              Akahi claims the throne of the Kingdom of Hawaii as a descendant of King Kamehameha I, calling himself "Majesty Akahi Nui, King of Hawaii."
                              He acknowledges that people "think I'm crazy." But he said he has papers to prove his genealogy.
                              He said he is signing treaties with other countries to support his mission "to take back Hawaii, my nation."
                              Charles Kauluwehi Maxwell Sr., a Hawaiian priest and longtime activist in the Hawaiian community, said he's known Akahi for many years. "He's a real common guy, nice guy, very pleasant person. Not pushy," said Maxwell by phone from his home in Pukalani, Maui. "He's a nice guy and everything, but I think he's misguided. There's a lot of misguided people and it's sad."
                              Court records show Akahi has 20 criminal convictions in Hawaii that date back to 1961, including assault, theft and burglary.
                              (...)
                              The Free Hawaii sovereignty group says on its Web site that "Majesty Akahi Nui, grandnephew of Queen Liliuokalani, was coronated King of the Hawaiian nation at the Iolani Palace" on Feb. 22, 1998.
                              (...)
                              Interesting. At the beginning of that quote he says he's never been in the palace, and at the end he says he was coronated there ten years ago. Must have been on the grounds and not inside, though some writer should follow up on the discrepancy.
                              And then from a different story at this link from the SB today:
                              The state Attorney General and Honolulu police will investigate allegations that police did not provide prompt assistance during Friday's attempted Iolani Palace takeover.
                              Witnesses said a Honolulu police sergeant stood by when a palace employee called for help when she was allegedly manhandled inside the gates of the palace, which is state property.
                              City 911 operators also told palace employees that state property is outside police jurisdiction when Iolani Palace employees called for help, palace officials said.
                              Interesting. "Witnesses". Plural. More than one witness.
                              Not that I'm directing that point to anyone in particular, of course.
                              More of that story:
                              Lingle said she instructed the state Attorney General's Office to investigate both incidents, including reviewing the 911 tapes and interviewing the police sergeant allegedly involved.
                              In a written statement, Honolulu Police Chief Boisse Correa said he is aware of the allegations, and has ordered an internal review.
                              (...)
                              The palace grounds remained closed to the public this weekend after members of a group called the Kingdom of Hawaii, Nation locked the gates of Iolani Palace and entered the palace starting at 5:30 p.m. Friday.
                              About two dozen police officers responded to the scene.
                              Wait a second. Two dozen police officers responded to the scene?! But it allegedly wasn't their jurisdiction. HPD got the call when the invaders were already inside the palace, and they went there for that but wouldn't help a woman being assaulted right in front of them?!??
                              Palace employees and Kippen de Alba Chu, executive director of the Friends of Iolani Palace, also said they were denied assistance when they called 911.
                              "Employees". Plural. Again. So there were multiple witnesses to the assault and multiple people also reported about the 911 calls being ignored.
                              Strike two.
                              'Nuff said on that part of it.
                              Lingle said the jurisdiction issue came up in May when another group, the Hawaiian Kingdom Government, locked out visitors to the palace. During that incident, state sheriffs spearheaded law enforcement activity and the Honolulu Police Department did not get involved except when Correa visited the group to talk informally.
                              "I spoke with Chief Correa at the time and he talked about the jurisdictional issues. We sort of let it pass at the time," Lingle said.
                              Oops. Shouldn't have said that, Governor. If the assaulted woman sues the state and the HPD (and you can bet the land sharks lawyers are circling already), you're now on the record for admitting being at fault by saying "We sort of let it pass."

Anyway, there's one more story at this link from today's SB, about how other soveriegnty groups feel about the invasion.
                              Lots of reader comments at each of today's three stories, too. Probably interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                                What's the stupid cop's name?

It's likely the cop is a sympathist for the SovMov. Just another opportunity in Hawaii for some smart lawyers to make a fortune off of someone's ignorance.

Akahi Nui admitted to having been convicted of prior felonies including burglary and assault......I'm sure all the Kamehamehas are proud of this guy

King Kamehameha is revered in Hawaii despite the fact that he was a blood thirsty, sociopathic, murderer with no remorse. He "unified" the islands. He did not conquer them. Hogwash.

Let's go to a land, kill the leaders, and lots of the people, including some children, claim the resources, and install leaders that we like. We will do it under the guise of peacemaking and unifying.

You think I'm describing Kamehameha in Oahu or Bush in Iraq?
                                Tim, tread lightly.This is a highly inflammatory post.

Comment

Working...
                                X