Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mobile Broadband

Originally posted by Kaukura View Post
    Have you considered ClearWire? I've had it going on 3 years and have been quite happy.
    I don't see it coming to Molokai.

If Mobi offer a base station that I can connect to my wireless router at home, in addition to the mobile broadband adapter for outside of my home, I'd probably be very interested.

If HI-TELCOM can offer supplementary mobile broadband adapter for DSL customers as well as wireless customers, they might get out of the jam they're in. That and prepay phone offer.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Kaukura View Post
      Have you considered ClearWire?[...]
      I was seriously looking at Mobi because it is a bit cheaper,[...]
      I need to investigate ClearWire a little bit more. I was hoping Hele would work because of the price and because of that little, wireless modem that plugs into my computer's usb port. So portable! Since Hele works in Makaha I can use it there which will still allow me to get rid of my land line, including dsl. I was going to get rid of everything associated with my land line in Waikiki while still keeping basic service with Hawaiian Telcom. One internet access fee for both places was really appealing to me. Had I been able to go with Hele for both, I could've reconfigured phone and internet to where I'd save $100/mo. Back to the drawing board!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
        Gotta say I'm very pleased and satisfied with the performance now!
        Not only faster for surfing, but for uploading too. And hasn't dropped it again.
        Hele's a keeper.
        Just thought I'd give a report after having Mobi for a while.

Hasn't lost connection at all since before the antenna.
        Occasionally slow, but seldom. So I'm cool with it.

And our 3 free LG phones haven't had any problems at all.
        Not having to worry about minutes or what time it is... priceless! HaHa!
        My wife Text's all the time included.

Total $160 a month for the 3 phones and internet connection.
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Thanks for your update, MM. I have mixed reviews. The Mobi phone service is ok; no better or worse than Hawaiian Tel wireless when that was my provider. However, "unlimited" is so nice! But hele.com...ai yi yi yi yi!!! It's the equivalent of dial-up in my Waikiki hale so I had to keep DSL. Hele's speed in Makaha and at my house sitting gig on Waialae Iki ridge is somewhere between dial-up and DSL. It's barely passable but I did give up all Hawaiian Telcom services in Makaha.

Comment

I believe Mobi is using Verizon's system.

As for Hawaiian Tel, when Verzion dumped them, there were quite a few execs from Sprint that came in and made home in there, firing some of the Hawaiian Tel managers and bringing in their own Sprint managers.

The writing was on the wall.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
              Hey Luna - hele works great!!!!

I use it everwhere I go...the beach...also at work.....at the park. I've had it since July...special offer they had for the first 3 months it was like $20.00 a month; month thereafter is 34.99. Reception is great!!!!

I would recommend it to anyone!!!!

P.S - I sound like a bloody mobi rep - which I am NOT!!! I should be compensated for advertising the darn thing!!!!

anywho it works great!!!!

Mahalo
              I have to agree with you. Hele works great for me. The only catch is you have to buy the modem for $189.00. You can use it anywhere. I also would recommend it to anyone.

Comment

*bump*

Saw an ad online touting a $29./mo. rate for Hele with no mention of it being an introductory rate. The only stipulation was auto bill pay. I'm already signed up for ABP so I called and asked if I could get that rate. It's about $6./mo. cheaper than my existing rate. Yep, I got it...and more. Since I'm also a cell customer (again, w/ABP) they gave me a bundled rate and now I'm paying $19/mo. for Hele while my $50/mo. cell plan stays the same. $85./mo. (+taxes) just got whittled down to $69./mo. (+taxes). I love little surprises like that!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  *bump*

Saw an ad online touting a $29./mo. rate for Hele with no mention of it being an introductory rate. The only stipulation was auto bill pay. I'm already signed up for ABP so I called and asked if I could get that rate. It's about $6./mo. cheaper than my existing rate. Yep, I got it...and more. Since I'm also a cell customer (again, w/ABP) they gave me a bundled rate and now I'm paying $19/mo. for Hele while my $50/mo. cell plan stays the same. $85./mo. (+taxes) just got whittled down to $69./mo. (+taxes). I love little surprises like that!
                  That's great to hear. I love customer service like that and Hele will definitely be on my mind when I get wireless broadband. T-Mobile has treated me very well for being loyal but unfortunately their wireless bb is expensive and slow.
                  kiddori

Comment

Hele.com now offers a $49. bb modem. The same modem I paid $189. for last Feb. is now $99. Grrr...

Comment

Awesome! I was waiting for the hardware prices to drop.
                      kiddori

Comment

Mobile Broadband!

*bump*

Okay radically new landscape in the mobile broadband war, so I figured it’s time to update this thread. Hawaiian Telcom is now offering $29.99 a month for 3 MB/s download 768K upload speed. No contract required, and apparently, unlimited data.

Hele Broadband (mobi) makes no claims to speed but offers $29.99 a month with no contract required. Their coverage map shows a significantly less level of availability then other carriers. Also unlimited data.

Oceanic Time Warner
                        mobile broadband: $34.95 a month with “4G speeds.” The fine print says those are equivalent to 6 mbps download and 1 mbps upload, which if they’re using the same 4G WIMAX technology as Clear® (formerly known as Clearwire) and Sprint, is accurate for download, BS for upload. Also 2 GB data limit! What a ripoff!

Clear® ($40/ 4G wimax unlimited), Verizon ($50*/ 3G - 5GB limit), Sprint ($60/ 4G wimax unlimited), and AT&T ($60/ 3G - 5GB limit) are the top tier. I might add that the Sprint price includes 3G as well, whereas Clear® does not. If you want this backup network functionality, you can get it on Clear® for $55 instead of $40.

Please note I am not including T-mobile because I believe they are the worst carrier in all phases of the game: customer service, coverage, and early termination fee. I had no phone service during BOTH island-wide power outages over the past decade. For the malihini on HT, these outages lasted several DAYS.

Anyway, you’ll notice I put $50 for Verizon when their website still shows $59.99. That is because next month, they are dropping their rates. I was told by a Verizon rep that they are also rolling out 4G LTE which is significantly faster then 4G wimax, making it the fastest provider for the lowest price. That happens in November in 38 mainland cities, Hawai‘i in 2011. I also like the fact that I have never heard a complaint about their coverage, whereas other carriers I’ve heard numerous ones (including my own personal horror stories). Should I wait for them?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Thanks for the update. It's looking better but you have to take speed claims with a grain of salt. We have two Clear modems at work and have never reached more than 3.5mbps down and 0.5 up in speed tests.

I have to state a big disagreement with you regarding T-Mobile. I haven't tried their mobile broadband yet but have heard very good things about it being as fast, or even faster, than Clear and Sprint. I think your claims are BS. Their awesome customer service is why I've been with them since the Voicestream days in 1997. The ETFs are lower than any of the other major providers. Their coverage is better than AT&T in a lot of areas here in Hawaii and trumps many other providers on the mainland. Also, during both recent outages (earthquake and lightning storm) I had no issues with my T-Mobile other than expected degraded quality after a few hours (tower batteries draining). You definitely can't compare a cell provider with a land line provider.

It will take a while before Verizon's LTE reaches good coverage. Last thing I heard was that the only location they officially have announced is the Honolulu Airport.

Anyway, Clear's bundles look really attractive for someone looking for home/mobile/phone services.

Aloha!
                          kiddori

Comment

*bump*

Is anyone else who uses Hele as disenchanted as I am? The speed has dropped significantly in Makaha...slower than dial-up now...basically unusable. It takes close to 1 min. for an all text page to reload when I hit the back button. Watching videos online or listening to the iTunes radio stations is no longer possible. I used to have connect and disconnect issues. Those have been replaced with the painfully slow speed. I noticed on their Facebook page that others are also complaining about speed issues and Mobi/Hele is not addressing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattias View Post
                              We have two Clear modems at work and have never reached more than 3.5mbps down and 0.5 up in speed tests.
                              Like any other wireless internet service, if depends where you use it. Some places on the island you WILL get sustained 6 mbps download speeds. Other places, you'll be lucky if it works at all. WIMAX is like that. It's great for blanketing large areas of flatland. Not so great at penetrating concrete or uneven terrain. I hear that's why Clear will be adding LTE equipment beginning next year.

regarding T-Mobile. I haven't tried their mobile broadband yet but have heard very good things about it being as fast, or even faster, than Clear and Sprint. I think your claims are BS. Their awesome customer service is why I've been with them since the Voicestream days in 1997. The ETFs are lower than any of the other major providers.
                              It's hard to take you seriously when you call my facts BS and I catch you in a glaring error. T-Mobile is the ONLY carrier which charges you the FULL ETF regardless of how loyal you've been to them. I also was with T-Mobile since they were Voicestream. They showed me why I meant nothing to them by charging me a $200 ETF when I left. I have the bill to prove it. If you like them, that's great! But don't let your opinion interfere with documented facts.

It will take a while before Verizon's LTE reaches good coverage. Last thing I heard was that the only location they officially have announced is the Honolulu Airport.
                              At this point, they also have a tower at Mililani Tech Park as well as a couple of towers on Maui. Not much, but they are the only LTE provider in the islands so far.
                              Last edited by TuNnL; November 11, 2011, 11:40 PM. Reason: accuracy

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                                Like any other wireless internet service, if depends where you use it.
                                And like all wireless service, it depends on how many other people within the tower's reach are using it. While the carrier can throttle the maximum for each user to prevent them from hogging it, it is a shared service.

They may be finding it hard to put up new towers in some areas. Too many carriers and not enough spaces as well as the usual NIMBY.

Comment

Working...
                                X