Mobile Broadband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Broadband

It's nice to see some new offerings in this non-competitive market.

Mobi is now offering mobile broadband for $34/month. That might not be as cheap as other markets but it's definitely on the cheaper side here in Hawaii.

The speed is 2-3 Mbps, which is not bad considering that ClearWire is 1.5 Mbps for $50/month and similar technologies from Verizon and AT&T I believe is around $50 as well.

Has anyone tried "hele" (that's what Mobi calls it) ???

I'd love to hear some reviews.

Thanks!

Re: Mobile Broadband

I'm curious about MobiPCS' offering as well. I'm currently on Sprint EVDO, but at $60, the $30 rate at MobiPCS is tempting. I'm not familiar with the carrier, though, so I'd love to hear from customers about quality of service and other thoughts on the company.

Comment

One catch is that you would have to pay for mainland roaming.

The good thing though is that you get unlimited data. Sprint just put a 5Gb monthly cap on their accounts.

Is Mobi using Sprint's network or do they have their own? My friend has Sprint and he loves it.

Comment

Verizon does have a cap too. 5Gigs! FYI

Comment

Yes, it appears that all mobile broadband have caps except Alltel (mainland company) and our own Mobi.

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
            Yes, it appears that all mobile broadband have caps except Alltel (mainland company) and our own Mobi.

Any updates on Hele?
            just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Alltel was recently acquired by AT&T so I'm sure they will have caps soon, if not already.

Comment

my coworker has the Mobi Hele broadband thing and she loves it... I mentioned it to my sister who was without internet service and now she has it too. I think they have a free two week trial period so that you can try it out first...
                I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

It's nice to see some new offerings in this non-competitive market.

Mobi is now offering mobile broadband for $34/month. That might not be as cheap as other markets but it's definitely on the cheaper side here in Hawaii.

The speed is 2-3 Mbps, which is not bad considering that ClearWire is 1.5 Mbps for $50/month and similar technologies from Verizon and AT&T I believe is around $50 as well.

Has anyone tried "hele" (that's what Mobi calls it) ???

I'd love to hear some reviews.

Thanks!
                  Hey Luna - hele works great!!!!

I use it everwhere I go...the beach...also at work.....at the park. I've had it since July...special offer they had for the first 3 months it was like $20.00 a month; month thereafter is 34.99. Reception is great!!!!

I would recommend it to anyone!!!!

P.S - I sound like a bloody mobi rep - which I am NOT!!! I should be compensated for advertising the darn thing!!!!

anywho it works great!!!!

Mahalo
                  stay forever young

Comment

Because of this thread...
                    I went to the MOBI store near the Safeway on Kapahulu this morning.

http://www.mobipcs.com/hele/
                    SPEEDS:
                    600kbps-1.3mbps download
                    500-800kbps upload
                    Hele Card costs $189 minus $60 mail-in rebate.
                    First 2 weeks free then next 3 months are at $20/month.
                    Regular price is $34/month at this time.

Come February '09 I'm getting this service and 3 cellphones also!
                    Activation costs $140 for all of it.
                    Unlimited local, nationwide, voicemail, and texting for $125/month(3 phones)
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I wouldn't mind getting mobi but they only cover half of Molokai, and West End/Maunaloa have no signal. Can't understand why we have mobi and Boost -- being sold through G&M Variety Store -- when they don't cover every inch of the Friendly Isle (at the very least cover ALL of the towns in the island, including Kalaupapa).
                      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                        [...]
                        Come February '09 I'm getting this service [...]
                        Me, too, MM! I just got back from the King St. Mobi/Hele store and they sold me! Well, I was pretty much sold before I went there but I had a list of questions and their answers were what I wanted to hear!

I'll be saving $100./month by:
                        ...dropping my bundled Haw. Tel. plan (landline/long distance/DSL) in Makaha
                        ...dropping my bundled Haw. Tel. plan in Waikiki but keeping a basic service landline (for now that landline makes sense...long story!)
                        ...switching from current cell service to Mobi
                        ...switching from DSL to Hele

The activation fee, cost of modem and new phone will pay for itself within 3 months. The phone I currently have can be used with Mobi and there was no pressure to sell me another phone, which I really appreciate. When I got home I realized I need a new battery for my phone. I think I'll go with a new phone that comes with a new battery! It'll only be a few buckaroonies more than buying a new battery for the old phone!

I'll be scheduling the changes around the expiration date of my current cell service contract...mid Feb. Gotta try both Mobi and Hele in Makaha to make sure those services are up to par in the boonies!

I really hope that service in Makaha is good as I'd like to support this local company.

Comment

Don't know how I missed this thread, but I've had Mobi for 8 or 9 months now and I love it. I got the $49/mo. package, which includes caller ID and a few extras.
                          I think one of the extras was unlimited text messaging, but I've never done a single text message in my life. I just wanted the caller ID feature.
                          Anyway, one more vote for Mobi here!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            [...]I got the $49/mo. package, which includes caller ID and a few extras.[...]
                            There's a $50/mo pkg ($55.55 with taxes & fees), which is what I'll get:
                            "Unlimited Talk & Text" includes...
                            unlimited local calling
                            unlimited nationwide long distance
                            unlimited voicemail
                            unlimited text messaging
                            caller id | call waiting | 3-way calling

Comment

Alltel was recently acquired by AT&T so I'm sure they will have caps soon, if not already.
                              I believe Verizon bought Alltel, not AT&T

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9960664-7.html
                              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X