View Poll Results: Who Should John McCain Choose For Vice President?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mitt Romney (former Mass. governor)

2 10.53%
  • Charlie Crist (Florida governor)

0 0%
  • Bobby Jindal (LA Governor)

0 0%
  • Mike Huckabee (former AK governor)

0 0%
  • Rudy Giuliani (former NYC mayor)

1 5.26%
  • Joe Lieberman (CT senator)

3 15.79%
  • Tim Pawlenty (MN governor)

0 0%
  • Hillary Clinton (NY senator)

3 15.79%
  • Linda Lingle (Hawaii governor)

3 15.79%
  • Other (please specify)

7 36.84%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should be McCain's VP?

Default Re: Who should be McCain's VP?

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    First, he stole a LOT of attention away from Obama the day after the big acceptance speech.
    What does that have to do with her appropriateness for the position?

Early interviews with Palin have not demonstrated that she's any less qualified for her position than Obama is for his.
    Was she asked the same questions about national and international policies that Obama has been asked over the last several months?

The Dems can't call Obama the fresh face of change because he's young and not a DC insider and then slam Palin for being the same thing.
    It takes more than being a "fresh face" to be qualified to lead this country. Palin has 12 years of elective service. 10 of those years were on the Wasilla (pop. 6500) City Council.

One major thing I think the GOP did was make people sit up and pay attention.
    Not exactly. It was McCain who made the decision not the GOP. And yes people are sitting up and paying attention to McCain, especially the GOP who are looking at McCain/Palin as loose cannons.

If Biden is going to be Obama's hatchet-man, I wonder how that's going to play if Palin is as gracious and steamy as she's been the few times I've seen her speak publicly.
    Only time will tell. Steamy is not even skin deep. Gracious? Getting her former brother-in-law fired and then lying about it?
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

McCain needs to hold on to Evangelical voters, many who are not happy that he is the Republican candidate. Palin can not only speak of being pro-life, but has a story to prove it. She also looks, speaks, and lives, for the most part, in a way that middle America can appreciate. There are a bunch of other pluses by having Palin as a runningmate--her gender takes some of the wind out of Obama's colored sails; she can "use" some of her political stories and accomplishments to come off as a maverick and as a true fiscal conservative. I'm cynical/wise enough to know that the truth is somewhere in between, but nevertheless, it will play out well among conservative voters who are considering voting for Barr or sitting out the vote in November.
    * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
    - Anna Quindlen

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    A legitimate observation. And here's my response:

Sen. Obama has been in the national spotlight since his momentous victory in the Iowa Democratic Caucus in January. He's been in scores of presidential debates. And voters have had a chance to get to know his background and to be comfortable with him, despite his relatively brief political career.

Gov. Palin? She gets into the national spotlight,.... today. She has 65 days to tell the nation abour her story and to establish her credentials before general election day. That's not a whole lot of time to re-assure voters who are just getting to know her.

So that's the way I see it. Both may be relatively inexperienced. But since Obama has been in the limelight seven months longer than Palin during this presidential campaign, it works out in his favor.
    I'm sorry, but how does "being in the spotlight" make him any more qualified than Gov. Palin? Because that should be what this is all about, shouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by U'ilani View Post
    I'm cynical/wise enough to know that the truth is somewhere in between, but nevertheless, it will play out well among conservative voters who are considering voting for Barr or sitting out the vote in November.
    I think that is a good anaysis. It will be interesting to see how her personal ethics hold up under close scrutiny - which is sure to come - with regards to the firing scandal of the Public Safety Director and her former brother-in-law.

Unfortunately, we will hear more about the scandal than her views on the economy or the conflict in Iraq (she has been quoted as saying while Governor, "I really haven't thought about it (Iraq).")

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

U`ilani sums it up well. Gov. Palin represents a very large part of the Republican Party's base, a part that was largely dissatisfied with the choice of Sen. McCain as their presidential candidate.

Both parties have to reach beyond their traditional membership in order for one to gain the White House - but you gotta make sure you have that traditional membership solidly in your camp first. Sen. McCain's choice of Gov. Palin goes a long way toward that goal. Many of us may be saying "who?" right now, but she's got a couple months in the spotlight to answer that question.

Quote Originally Posted by MyopicJoe View Post
    There are Americans who care less about a prez/vp's stance on foreign affairs, and more on their attitude towards internal affairs. Mainly to leave law abiding and self sufficient people alone.
    Yeah, it's now "us come first before the rest of the world (screw them)."
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    Only time will tell. Steamy is not even skin deep. Gracious? Getting her former brother-in-law fired and then lying about it?
    Ah. And all this time I thought she was inhuman.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Ah, Tutu, ya sweet young thang. I remember the Kennedy years well.
    I was one year shy of voting age and I was pi$$ed!
    [...]Camelot
    I remember the feelings Camelot elicited. There was something so regal about the first couple.
    Nikita leering at Jackie's decolletage
    Bwaha! Not to mention Marilyn Monroe's rendition of "Happy Birthday"!
    [...]But back on topic. Who would you choose to be President - Biden or Palin?
    Considering my political ignorance, this question best puts into perspective for me the topic of this thread.

Lightbulb Re: Who should be McCain's VP?

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Dr. View Post
    I'm sorry, but how does "being in the spotlight" make him any more qualified than Gov. Palin? Because that should be what this is all about, shouldn't it?
    Absolutely. But certainly, being in the spotlight is part of the qualification process. Palin has been under it for less than 48 hours, and already a currently ongoing scandal of hers has been brought to the forefront. Being the chief executive means you need to be able to make snap decisions under national scrutiny. And unless you are a national leader to begin with, hiding in a state that rarely makes headlines means you are a Panos Prevedouros in a Mufi Hannemann world. In short, Palin is literally a babe in the woods, and has yet to be under the microscope. The only national t.v. interview I know of that she made, was one in which she made a complete ass of herself.

Some on this message board have argued for a shorter campaign season. I scoff at these individuals. The point of a long campaign is to see whether a candidate is able to weather the storm under the pressure of the national spotlight. Only after months of vetting and critical evaluation do we see which individual has demonstrated the strength of character that having to appeal to a diverse an audience as the U.S.A. and worldwide, can we truly know for sure that we have a worthy president or vice president-elect. The fact that you question the importance of this Spin Dr., demonstrates how naïve and illiterate you are of national politics.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    If she wears that outfit I don't think she'll have any problem dealing with Vlad Putin.
    Ummm.. what's up with this picture? Is it for real? Where is it from (I know, madogre.com, but where is it culled from)? Is it from her online dating service? Halloween? Why does a lawmaker and potential VP have sexy photos available online? Doesn't make sense to me.
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Quote Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
    Why does a lawmaker and potential VP have sexy photos available online?
    Because politicians are human, sexual creatures? At least she's more open about it, which beats skulking around a la Edwards, McCain, Gingrich, Clinton, Kennedy, et al.

I know - not much of an answer, but this whole tenor of discussion (the "babe-ness" of a vice presidential candidate) seems boringly irrelevant to me. She could be the hottest creature I've ever laid eyes upon (and Gov. Palin is FAR from that, imo), but she still ain't getting my vote, because her politics are so far from my own.

Ummm.. what's up with this picture? Is it for real?
    You’re kidding, right? Look carefully below the neckline. You do see where someone lazily (Photoshop™ingly) colored in the skin...right?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Because politicians are human, sexual creatures? At least she's more open about it, which beats skulking around a la Edwards, McCain, Gingrich, Clinton, Kennedy, et al.

I know - not much of an answer, but this whole tenor of discussion (the "babe-ness" of a vice presidential candidate) seems boringly irrelevant to me. She could be the hottest creature I've ever laid eyes upon (and Gov. Palin is FAR from that, imo), but she still ain't getting my vote, because her politics are so far from my own.
    My feelings exactly. Well...I have different feelings when seeing her picture, but politics-wise, you're on the spot.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Ummm.. what's up with this picture? Is it from her online dating service? Halloween?
    Cabo has an annual "Pimp and 'Ho Ball" to benefit the local animal shelter. THAT must be where the picture is from. Girl, you're a long way from Wasilla, pop. 6500.

Quote Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
    You’re kidding, right? Look carefully below the neckline. You do see where someone lazily (Photoshop™ingly) colored in the skin...right?
    Ohhh! oops, hee hee hee

I thought that was so strange that.. well, nevermind...

My mind was on football when I posted that this morning!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Okay, if you all are going to be so frivolous as to talk about Sarah Palin's sex appeal, I will suggest that her hubby, the "first dude", Todd Palin, is every woman's dream guy: good-looking, common-sense smart, independent (politically), tough and competitive (not just the fact that he won that snowmobile contest 4 times, but the fact that he worked at the North Slope--that is grueling work in the harshest of working conditions), and yet is emotionally secure enough to be willing to act as Mr. Mom (chauferring the kids arounds to after-school activities, fixing dinner, etc.) in order to enable his wife to be governor. And the Hawaiian native part of me likes that he is part Alaska native (Yup'ik Eskimo).

High school sweethearts:

Now:

Family man:

/end frivilous post (and frivolous, too!)
    Last edited by U'ilani; August 30th, 2008 at 02:51 PM.
    * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
    - Anna Quindlen

Okay, if you all are going to be so frivilous as to talk about Sarah Palin's sex appeal
    Not all of us, mind you. And yes, that's one handsomely photogenic family. As is Senator Obama's. Not that any of that has anything to do with why we should or should not support a candidate --- but thanks for providing some "frivolous" balance.

Yes, I did not mean you, LL.

Ack--and I cannot believe I misspelled frivolous!
    - Anna Quindlen

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Because politicians are human, sexual creatures? At least she's more open about it, which beats skulking around a la Edwards
    Interesting you should phrase it that way, Leo. I’m not sure Sarah Palin is necessarily “more open” about sexual creatures, particularly her daughter, Bristol. Like I told Spin Dr. earlier, it wouldn’t take long for the national spotlight to beat down on Gov. Palin. Remember, the truth of John Edwards’ adultery began with a “rumor” that the National Enquirer decided they would pursue.

Now there is a rumor that Palin’s fifth child (in itself a story because the infant has Down Syndrome) is not really hers. I must say it makes perfect sense. Very few 44-year-old women are still having kids, especially if they already have four and they happen to be busy running a state, as governor. No, according to several websites, the baby belongs to Palin’s 16-year-old daughter, Bristol, who was pulled out of school about five months before the baby was born.

Sounds like a scene from the new ABC hit series “The Secret Life Of the American Teenager

USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Woah, and woe!

I just checked out the various family photos taken when Sarah Palin would have been pregnant, and yeah, the daughter definitely looks pregnant; Gov. Palin, meanwhile, never has "the look" of a pregnant woman. My guess is that she didn't learn of her daughter's pregnancy until her daughter was far along--and probably after that one photo was taken that makes it all rather clear (otherwise they wouldn't have allowed the daughter to be photographed up front with her belly in full view). Astonishing. I wonder how that will impact all of the media talk during the RNC convention this week.

This presidential election never ceases to amaze.
    - Anna Quindlen

This presidential election never ceases to amaze.
    To me, it's the pettiness and (dare I say it spell it?) frivolity of so many Americans that never ceases to amaze (and disappoint) me.
    While I feel strongly that Palin is a horrible choice for VP, I completely fail to see how her teenage daughter's alleged pregnancy has anything whatsoever to do with the VP position.
    If Palin herself has skeletons in her closet, those are fair game.
    If a family member is a convicted axe murderer or child molester, that's newsworthy and pretty fair game.
    A teenage pregnancy? Pffffffffbt.
    Too many people try to make themselves feel superior by picking on and heralding the frailties of others.
    Sometimes humanity can be so inhumane.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

My guess is that she didn't learn of her daughter's pregnancy until her daughter was far along--and probably after that one photo was taken that makes it all rather clear (otherwise they wouldn't have allowed the daughter to be photographed up front with her belly in full view).
    This is all speculation at this point!!!!!!! You may be right about the mother not knowing. The daughter may have lied to Mom and the doctor didn't think to check for pregnancy and diagnosed as "mono" because it is kind of a catch all. But I am only speculating! The truth should come out fairly quickly.

However, the facts are:

1. that the daughter was taken out of high school sometime last fall on the pretext of having " contagious mono." Normally the recovery period for mono is 2 to 3 months. The daughter was out of school for over 5 months (some reports say that she didn't return to school at all this last year).

2. all family photos from the Alaska Government website have been mysteriously removed today.

3. Governor Palin flew home from Governors conference in Texas (an 8 hour flight with a stop over in Seattle) because she said her bag had broken and she was going into labor. Rather than "give birth" to a 1 month premature Down Syndrome baby in Anchorage (or even Dallas), where she landed, with modern facilities, she got in a car and drove more than hour to a hospital in a small village near her home town of Wasilla......where her daughter was.

4. People at the Governor's conference said Palin didn't look pregnant.

I honestly hope this story isn't true. If it is true, it has got to be one of the lowest and saddest points in American politics.

I honestly hope this story isn't true. If it is true, it has got to be one of the lowest and saddest points in American politics.
    WHAT?!?? I hope that your comment didn't come out the way you meant it to, because you're going to have to explain to me what the hell this story has to do with politics, much less be "one of the lowest and saddest points."
    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and let you clarify your statement before I go into "pit bull" mode.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
    [...]
    Now there is a rumor that Palin’s fifth child (in itself a story because the infant has Down Syndrome) is not really hers. I must say it makes perfect sense. Very few 44-year-old women are still having kids, especially if they already have four and they happen to be busy running a state, as governor. No, according to several websites, the baby belongs to Palin’s 16-year-old daughter, Bristol, who was pulled out of school about five months before the baby was born. [...]
    I have such mixed emotions about this. First of all, if the rumor about Bristol turns out to be just that, a rumor..the damage to her has already been done. Pretty heavy stuff for a 16 year old.

Interesting video. There are times Palin looks pregnant and times she doesn't. My first thought was of Natalie Morales on The Today Show. Her bun is due out of the oven within the next couple of weeks. At 7 months I marveled at how "unpregnant" she looked. Only at certain angles could I tell. Now that she's about to deliver, she finally looks pregnant! Palin's size is of much less curiosity to me than the fact that she waited 'til she was 7 months along to say anything and this coincided with her daughter being out of school.

Must admit I have a problem with this statement from the link:
    In Sarah Palin’s defense here, if she did pretend the baby was hers, it is just a mother protecting her young daughter, and doing the right thing.
    Doing the right thing? I dunno. Should the accusation be true I just don't see lying about this situation as "doing the right thing".

It's more common today than a generation ago for women in their 40s to continue having children. Sorry, TuNnl, I don't have the time to search for cites. It didn't surprise me at all to learn that Palin had a baby at 44. It also didn't surprise me to learn of the baby's Down Syndrome as older mothers have a higher risk of this. While it's always sad, it's not all that unusual.

Yes, 44 year old, "steamy" <g> women still have "steamy" sex! If not careful, that can lead to pregnancy! And, Palin's stance is anti-abortion.

All I'm saying in this long winded, boring reply is that nothing about Palin's family surprised me or even caused me to raise one hair of one eyebrow! I saw them as a beautiful family with children of varied ages...altho' the 4th child appears to be the postscript, so why not have a 5th and try for another boy!

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and let you clarify your statement before I go into "pit bull" mode.
    Oh, my point is that any politician would put their political ambitions ahead of protecting vulnerable members of their family from public scrutiny....if the rumors are true. I hope they aren't. I'm sympathetic to the family, whether the story is true or false.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast