Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who should be McCain's VP?

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    Telling a lie to cover a shady business deal or a political deed is one thing; telling a lie to protect someone in your family, or telling a lie in a political arena about your sex life? Big deal. This is exactly what I was thinking. Bill Clinton lied about sex and the GOP went so far as to make him only the second President ever impeached.
    This is the same GOP that has run our country for the last 8 years and wants to run it for at least 4 more. Pathetic. 65 million.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      This is the same GOP that has run our country for the last 8 years and wants to run it for at least 4 more. Pathetic. 65 million.
      What? 65 million what?
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

What? 65 million what?
        Guessing? The bill Ken Starr charged to the American taxpayers to investigate a stained dress a decade ago?

Aj

Comment

Oh yeah, sorry. If I'd read a few responses up that woulda made sense to me.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Spin Dr. View Post
            If you think being in the media spotlight makes someone more qualified to lead, then by all means, go ahead and vote that way. I'll wait until I can learn more about the candiates than whether they've been on TV and in the newspapers a lot before I decide to vote for them.
            And THAT is called the media spotlight.
            Thank you, matapule. You took the words right out of my mouth. So enlighten me, Spin Dr. If you aren’t going to pay attention to whether the candidate has been on TV and in the newspaper, how the hell are you going to “learn more about them”? Hint: the Internet is the media spotlight too. Unless you mean you’re going to rely on more “independent research” like this.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

With all due respect, this is absurd. This is not lying about her health,
              So lying to people about being pregnant when you're not,... is not lying about your health status?

Now,... who's being "absurd" here?

Listen, if you want to find some moral justification in anyone telling such a lie, then whatever. That can be legitimately debated. But let's not start losing a grip on simple logic.

it's lying to protect her family from idiots who have no business knowing stuff like this, including me and you.
              Lying to protect her family's public reputation? Maybe. A cynic would say it would be a lie to protect Sarah Palin's political future.

It's up to each person to make up their mind about motives, just as I'm sure many people made up their own minds about John Edwards' motives for publicly admitting about having an extramarital affair with Rielle Hunter.

Telling a lie to cover a shady business deal or a political deed is one thing; telling a lie to protect someone in your family, or telling a lie in a political arena about your sex life? Big deal.
              If this rumor turns out to be true, then Gov. Palin's lie would be a "big deal" to me, and I'll tell you why.

It's no secret that Palin is strongly pro-life. So much so that she opposes abortion, even in cases of rape and incest. That has made her the darling of the evangelical right-wingers.

But the same group of voters has almost raised her status to that of sainthood when she supposedly gave birth to Trig. Palin was not shy in telling everyone about how the doctor diagnosed that her unborn baby had Downs Syndrome. She had the option of getting an abortion, which most parents would choose when faced with this situation. But her decision to have this child anyway made her a folk hero with the pro-lifers.

Although I do not count myself in the pro-life camp, I have to admit that when I first heard the story of Gov. Palin going through with the decision of giving birth and raising a Down Syndrome baby, my initial reaction was one of admiration. Here, I thought, was a pro-life politician who doesn't just talk the talk, but she's willing to walk the walk.

Even now, my admiration still stands. But if it is ever proven that this whole thing was a lie, then my admiration for Palin would turn to disappointment. Anyone who would concoct such a scheme for political gain,..... that would be so pathetic.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
                I do hope this rumor is a non-starter that will blow up in the face of the democraticunderground.com & Daily Kos folks who savour schadenfreude,
                I know what you mean, but there is no denying that the National Enquirer (another "news source" of questionable value) broke the John Edwards story. I am all for freedom of the press and I include democraticunderground and dailykos in that group. They just better be prepared to be sued if they don't get it right.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Fair enough. I hadn't thought of it that way, and while my inclination is still to see this issue as a family issue, you've definitely given me something else to consider.
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    Although I do not count myself in the pro-life camp, I have to admit that when I first heard the story of Gov. Palin going through with the decision of giving birth and raising a Down Syndrome baby, my initial reaction was one of admiration. Here, I thought, was a pro-life politician who doesn't just talk the talk, but she's willing to walk the walk.

Even now, my admiration still stands. But if it is ever proven that this whole thing was a lie, then my admiration for Palin would turn to disappointment. Anyone who would concoct such a scheme for political gain,..... that would be so pathetic.
                    I don't count myself in the pro-life camp but not pro-abortion either. IF THE STORY IS TRUE.....I would have admired Gov. Palin if she had said, "my daughter was pregnant with a special needs baby, we encouraged her to give birth because my husband and I don't believe in abortion. Now my daughter and the baby need lots of help and love and my husband and I are going to insure that happens forever. " Now that is a person I could admire. That is someone who talks the talk and walks the walk!

Is it any of our business? No, as her private life it is none of our business, but IF she has participated in a coverup and lying for political gain, then it becomes our business. Clinton didn't have an affair with "that woman, Ms Lewinsky" for political gain. He did it to satisify his libido. I don't judge Clinton for having the affair, that is his private matter. His lying about it when caught is pathetic.

Comment

This probably should go under a different thread, but the conversation started here - so I'll ask the question here. Everyone is discussing whether or not Palin's down syndrome baby is really hers or her daughter's. Aren't down syndrome babies generally born to "older" mothers? I was under the impression that this occurs almost exclusively to women in their 40's. If that is the case, doesn't it automatically dispel the rumor? Or am I missing something?

Comment

A simple blood test would settle it. Maybe Maury Povich has some time available.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                          Everyone is discussing whether or not Palin's down syndrome baby is really hers or her daughter's. Aren't down syndrome babies generally born to "older" mothers? I was under the impression that this occurs almost exclusively to women in their 40's.
                          It’s easy to get that impression because the likelihood of diagnosis increases as women get older. But a simple check of the National Down Syndrome website gives you the facts:
                          80% of babies with Down syndrome are born to women under 35 years of age
                          The real problem here, is that the youngest age group for mothers in Down Syndrome baby studies is 20-24. Bristol Palin is only 16. Relevant or irrelevant, it’s notable that teen pregnancy results in a disproportionately larger amount of birth defects.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                            Aren't down syndrome babies generally born to "older" mothers? I was under the impression that this occurs almost exclusively to women in their 40's. If that is the case, doesn't it automatically dispel the rumor? Or am I missing something?
                            Yes, you are missing the big picture. The incidence of Down Syndrome babies born to women over 40 increases from 1% to 3%. That is a threefold increase. But, 80% of Down Syndriome babies are born to women who are under 35 years of age, just by sheer numbers alone. So if you are comparing a 16 year old to a 44 year old, statistical probability says that the baby is the 16 year old's.

But I am not interested in statistical probability in this case. I am interested in the possibility that a politician may have used this incident for her own political gain.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                              Thank you, matapule. You took the words right out of my mouth. So enlighten me, Spin Dr. If you aren’t going to pay attention to whether the candidate has been on TV and in the newspaper, how the hell are you going to “learn more about them”? Hint: the Internet is the media spotlight too. Unless you mean you’re going to rely on more “independent research” like this.
                              TuNnL, you and Matapule missed my point completely. I never said I wasn't going to pay attention to the media - I said just being in the media spotlight doesn't make someone qualified to lead. It simply means we "know" more about them. Maybe what people know about Sen. Obama makes them want to vote for him; fine. But people are bashing Gov. Palin because she hasn't been in media spotlight like Obama has, yet we've only known she would be tapped for the VP position for what, three days? Obama's been running for President -- not VP -- for what seems like forever. Of course he has an advantage in that regard. But they're acting like it's Palin's fault that we don't know more about her, and claiming she's not qualified because of it. Like Frankie's Market pointed out, we don't know if she's qualified yet, and do simply dismiss her without learning more about her is irresponsible, in my opinion. And Frankie, I also agree that candidates really have to be aggressive in their marketing of themeselves, because many people don't have the luxury of the time and wherewithal to research the candidiates - but again, it's not Gov. Palin's fault we don't know much about her (yet).

I'm just saying I'm willing to wait a little longer to find out more about her before making a decision -- a rather important one, I might add -- that will impact our nation's future. And yes, I'll be watching the media coverage of both parties to try and make the most enlightened decision I can. Does Obama have an advanatge over her in regards to what we know about them? Absolutely. But she's not running against Obama, per se -- Sen. McCain is. Yes, she's an integral part of McCain's campaign, but she's not the only part.

Comment

But I am not interested in statistical probability in this case. I am interested in the possibility that a politician may have used this incident for her own political gain.
                                Have she used it for political gain, or is it just the media that keep hammering it down our throats?

Is she the only one or are there others, even if it is to promote healthcare, a hot issue in today's politics?
                                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                                X