Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who should be McCain's VP?

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    she has been critical of both Republicans, Stevens and representative Young in a very public way, calling for their resignations.
    Ah. Thank you for that detail; it explains this:
    Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    He didn't even go to Dayton for the McCain/Palin announcement this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
      She doesn't think the VP job is very "productive" and doesn't even know what the job duties are. Hopefully for her case, she's been briefed and educated since she made these statements:

http://news.yahoo.com/story/politico...KJSCapiEBh24cA

Aj
      Nice way to twist words by the authors.

From the Interview:
      Palin replied: “As for that VP talk all the time, I’ll tell you, I still can’t answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day? I’m used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration. We want to make sure that that VP slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that we’re trying to accomplish up here for the rest of the U.S., before I can even start addressing that question.”
      Last edited by Ninja; August 29, 2008, 10:21 AM. Reason: Changed to identify the authors as twisting words.

Comment

In post #10, I said Palin wouldnt take the job now being a brand new mom, guess I was wrong. You would think a mother of 5, especially having a baby with more special needs than most, would want to stay close to her home base. I guess not! So much for GOP family values.

As for this pick being a possible pick for women who were for Hillary, (are upset at Obama and would side with Palin), a major issue in that will be the abortion issue. I think with Palin being pro-life, those Hillary backers may flee to Obama. Also, McCain may appoint Supreme Court judges who have a pro life stance, another issue that will be looked at when voting.

I think McCain would have been better served by picking Ridge or Romney.

Clearly the ticket on both sides in terms of trying to draw in electoral votes for their home states won't be much of a factor when you consider Arizona, Alaska, Delaware and Illinois have 37 combined votes!!

Aj

Comment

I didn't twist the words, read the article's first 3 sentences. I'm just going by with what the writer said.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
            Clearly the ticket on both sides in terms of trying to draw in electoral votes for their home states won't be much of a factor when you consider Arizona
            I wonder if the "Arizona curse" will continue with this election. The four viable presidential candidates fielded by this state in the past five decades have all been unsuccessful: Barry Goldwater, Mo Udall, Bruce Babbitt ... will John McCain see his name on this list?

Comment

Sorry Aj,

I should have clarified that it was the article not you that I deemed to be twisting the words.

Charles

Comment

As it stands, this is a giant loser of a ticket for the republicans.
                Is this really the best they can put up?

I predict Ms. Palin will ultimately not remain as the VP mate, and that Romney will factor significantly in this race, quite possibly in place of even JMc.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Ah yes, AZ politics where do I begin...I went to high school with Barry Goldwater's grandchildren, in fact Barry spoke at HS graduation. I always had respect for him, but never followed his politics. He clearly ushered into America a new wave of conservative politics in 1964 that in some ways continue to this day.

As for McCain, his first shot at politics, his career boost was helped funded greatly by Charles Keating. My stepdad's mother lost her retirement and savings thanks to Keating's phony Savings and Loan chicanery during the early 90's. Keating ended up serving 5 years in jail. McCain was involved in the Keating 5 with the other AZ Senator Dennis DeConcini as well as 3 other Democrats. Was familiar at one time with the Babbitt and Udall family. People make comments about Hawaii politics, they havent seen anything yet when they study Arizona politics, I lived thru the impeachment of two Arizona Governors in less than 5 years. My mom helped handle the budget for the state of AZ and had to deliver the state budget on the governor's desk, I remember how busy the end of June was when the fiscal year had ended.

I remember Mo Udall's courageous battle with Parkinson's disease and how quickly it overtook him, it was the first time I had seen the effects of it and I recall how much Udall towered over me (he was a former basketball player)
                  when I got to meet him when he came to our school.

My best friends in high school were former AZ Governor and Senator Paul Fannin's grandkids, went to high school and college with them and remain close to this day. Fannin lived well into his 90's and I learned alot about AZ politics and politics in general from him. I was at the house (former Governor's mansion) almost every day and would sometimes pick up the phone to say hello and a guy named "Dick" would call every now and then, last name Nixon.

As for Palin's experience, geeze Linda Lingle has more experience than her.
                  Why didnt he pick her?

Aj
                  Last edited by Kalihiboy; August 29, 2008, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
                    Sorry Aj,

I should have clarified that it was the article not you that I deemed to be twisting the words.

Charles
                    No problem Charles!

Aj

Comment

Fascinating AZ stories, Aj - thanks for sharing 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
                        She's not as politically inexperienced as people may think.

(1992-1996)2 time council member in Wasilla, AK(Anchorage Exurb)
                        (1996-2002)2 term Mayor of Wasilla, AK
                        (2002) Failed bid for Lt. Governor
                        (2003-2004)Commissioner Alaska OGCC(Energy Commission)Appointed
                        (2006-Present)Governor of Alaska

So she's been in politics 5 years longer than Obama, has served in 3 different levels of politics as well as a bureaucrat, and has dealt with defeat.
                        You're being facetious, right? 10 of her 12 years of elected experience has been on the Wasilla (pop. 6500) City Council.

Obama is short on experience too, that's why he picked a winner in the person of Biden.
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          Fascinating AZ stories, Aj - thanks for sharing 'em.
                          I should have said Barry Goldwater's "grandchildren"!! Not his children, I'm not that old!! Anna Goldwater, his granddaughter, was one year older than I was. I know shortly after Barry's wife died, he remarried a lady who was about 20 years younger and a waitress I think. His children were not pleased.

I could tell you some interesting stories about Illinois politics too with the Daley's and Jesse Jackson, whom I used to play with his children when I was a kid.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                            As it stands, this is a giant loser of a ticket for the republicans.
                            Is this really the best they can put up?
                            This is indeed a puzzling and perplexing choice for VP. I bet there are many in the Republican hierarchy who are tearing their hair out right now.

I predict Ms. Palin will ultimately not remain as the VP mate, and that Romney will factor significantly in this race, quite possibly in place of even JMc.
                            Now THAT is an interesting statement. Maybe I should pay closer attention to the GOP convention!
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Well now, yet another poll where an unnamed darkhorse gets the nod. Ya gotta love it. And remember folks, this is the second HT thread where I mentioned Sarah Palin's name first.

Several initial comments on Sen. McCain's veep choice:

1) I have to disagree with Leo and concur with Aj. The abortion issue can be very important and is one of those hot-button items that can ultimately decide the vote for many women. Especially for older women who have been around long enough to recall what life was like before Roe vs. Wade. Before that landmark Supreme Court decision, a pregnant woman who did not want to give birth was in a very precarious, frightening, and potentially dangerous situation by seeking abortion in one of those infamous back-door clinics. I'm sure those women do not want their own daughters and grand-daughters to go through that traumatic experience. So if McCain has ideas that pro-life Gov. Palin will sweep up the millions of women who voted for Hillary Clinton, he could be in a for a rude slap from reality.

2) Haven't we seen this "me too" kind of pandering from the Republicans before? Barack Obama made his first national splash by receiving the Democratic nomination to be an Illinois Senator in 2004. So who does the GOP select to oppose him? Another Black candidate, Alan Keyes. And while Keyes had a credible resume to back his candidacy (experience as former UN ambassador), there was no getting around the fact that the Republicans picked a carpetbagger who had never lived in Illinois. Little wonder that many observers cynically viewed Keyes as being the best available Black candidate that the GOP could offer up in challenge to Obama. No surprise that in the general election, Keyes was easily steamrolled. Are the Republicans making the same kind of mistake again, trying to pander to voters who they think will vote for a woman, no matter who she is and what her background/politics are?

3) It was very telling that when Palin was officially announced this morning, some GOP officials and strategists seemed to be at a loss for words when asked for their thoughts. The concern here is not only that Gov. Palin is a relative unknown on the national scene, but that her selection has seemingly come out of left field and that she may not have been adequately vetted. Already, the media has turned their attention to a possible ethical violation that is now being investigated in the state of Alaska.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...investigation/

OTOH though, you have to give the McCain campaign some credit. If ever it was a good time to make this announcement, today was the day as it is taking much of the TV news airtime away from Obama's historic speech. And with this choice, McCain has really shaken things up in the presidential race. Whether it ultimately works out to his favor or not remains to be seen.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                                I still think that Obama will announce a significant political appointment for Hillary prior to the election (Secretary of State or Supreme Court?).
                                Announcing appointments before the election? That's got Dewey Defeats Truman written ALL OVER it. No way does Obama start giving out positions before he's at least the President-elect.
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X