New Intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Intro

(This is pretty much what I sent to the admin)

Hello
    My name is Vince Nelson, not much to hide here. I am moving to Oahu Dec. 10th 2008, I already bought my R/T tickect. My plan is to get housing, most likey shared, a job (any) to start off. Once after estiblising this I will seek a better job and permament housing, then after a year move my family over. I found your website while doing a search on the job market and housing market on google. Even though I dont have a job or housing yet I am hoping to at least get the prospects lined up before I get there. I know that the challenge before will not be easy. However, I am more then willing to sacrifice a year of my life to build a better life for my son. I am tired of the rat race, unfriendly and spitefull people here in California. I no longer wish to expose my son to this lifestyle anylonger. So to make a long story short, I am deterimend, I have a plan, I need to learn much more, and finding new contacts to help me would prove more valuable then not.
    Thank you to all and I hope to get to know many more of you.

Prior expeience in Hawaii ... None
    Dreams are useless, unless they provide substance which is tangiable. Only I can make my dreams worth it.

Re: New Intro

Aloha Vince and welcome!

Comment

Hi Vince! Welcome and nice to meet you!

Comment

Thank you.
        Dreams are useless, unless they provide substance which is tangiable. Only I can make my dreams worth it.

Comment

welcome to ht and a future welcome to o'ahu.
          "chaos reigns within.
          reflect, repent and reboot.
          order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Taking a break to say ALOHA and Welcome to you!

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince_n View Post
              I am tired of the rat race, unfriendly and spitefull people here in California. I no longer wish to expose my son to this lifestyle anylonger.
              Sorry to hear that's what life is like for you in CA. Don't know if HI will have what you are looking for, but maybe it will. Finding a better environment for your son is a great reason for taking a challenging step like this, so good luck - and have fun on HT, wherever you are. Keep us filled in on your challenges and successes.

Comment

Leo,
                The challenges aren't any more then the average person here in California. I am just fed up with the attitude of califorinan's. 90% of the people here have a "you owe me" attitude, and are very self serving. Believe me, I am not trying to fool myself I know and expect to find people like that no matter where I go. But the less of it the better.

Comment

Hi there Vince! You must be from SoCal!

Be sure to check out the archives. I moved from CA this year, and you can read all about my "exciting adventures" here on HT.
                  ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Welcome to HT, Vince.

Must admit that anyone who decides to move anywhere without first experiencing that destination kinda makes me nervous! And that includes Hawaii. You see, there's no guarantee that it will be better for your family. That said, I admire the importance you've placed on making a better life. HT's archives should prove very helpful to you.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      Must admit that anyone who decides to move anywhere without first experiencing that destination kinda makes me nervous!
                      But it can work. In 1984, I came to Seattle (for the first time) for a job interview. Within an hour after the interview concluded, they offered me the job. I spent the next four days finding a place to live, and the next month packing up and moving. I'm still happy to be here, 24 years on, and glad I took that risk.

Yet I can agree with you, because Hawai`i is "different" for so many reasons, not the least of which is that you can't just pack up a truck and drive away if it doesn't work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        But it can work. In 1984, I came to Seattle (for the first time) for a job interview. Within an hour after the interview concluded, they offered me the job. I spent the next four days finding a place to live, and the next month packing up and moving. I'm still happy to be here, 24 years on, and glad I took that risk.

Yet I can agree with you, because Hawai`i is "different" for so many reasons, not the least of which is that you can't just pack up a truck and drive away if it doesn't work out.
                        Yes...a firm job offer can help to ease the transition. Still, I know several people who were transferred here with their jobs (non-military) and just didn't like living in Hawaii. And, of course, there are those who moved here and stayed because they love it. Personally I feel it's a huge gamble to move to a completely unfamiliar location with no job and no place to live. It's a smaller gamble when one is single.

Turtlegirl and Sven were lucky that they had friends to stay with while they looked for a place as landlords can be reluctant to rent to someone who doesn't yet live here.

I truly wish Vince the best and hope he reads all the relocation advice that's been offered in this forum. Lotsa great info.

Comment

Aloha and welcome to HT Vince! Glad to have you here!
                          Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Aloha Vince! Welcome to HT!

Comment

Originally posted by Vince_n View Post
                              (This is pretty much what I sent to the admin)

Hello
                              My name is Vince Nelson, not much to hide here. I am moving to Oahu Dec. 10th 2008, I already bought my R/T tickect. My plan is to get housing, most likey shared, a job (any) to start off. Once after estiblising this I will seek a better job and permament housing, then after a year move my family over. I found your website while doing a search on the job market and housing market on google. Even though I dont have a job or housing yet I am hoping to at least get the prospects lined up before I get there. I know that the challenge before will not be easy. However, I am more then willing to sacrifice a year of my life to build a better life for my son. I am tired of the rat race, unfriendly and spitefull people here in California. I no longer wish to expose my son to this lifestyle anylonger. So to make a long story short, I am deterimend, I have a plan, I need to learn much more, and finding new contacts to help me would prove more valuable then not.
                              Thank you to all and I hope to get to know many more of you.

Aloha no! I've never been to O'ahu, but I can guarantee you that you'll fall in love with it. I've been to Maui twice and think that Hawai'i Nei is one of the most amazing places ever.
                              'Alika

Comment

Working...
                              X