Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I'm learning Japanese (I really think so)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I think I'm learning Japanese (I really think so)

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
    I got 100%!! Yeah!!!
    You ROCK!!!!! Well done!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
      It is the 3rd week and more than half of my classmates didn't even buy the freakin book! What is wrong with these people?! I gladly shared my text with TWO other kids, and I was happy to help out at the time, but then...

...on the drive home, I started getting really angry about this situation. What jerk shows to class without their books?! Or homework?!! That's an insult to me, my hard earned tuition, the instructor, and to the ideals of higher learning!! I am SO annoyed!! Hay dios mio!! I HATE MY CLASSMATES!!

On the plus side, we got our Thursday quizzes back! I got 100%!! Yeah!!!
      Not to worry - it's not a competition, it's about YOU doing a fantastic job (which your quiz score shows you are doing), because you know you can, you want to succeed, you know what this knowledge will do to enhance your future. No matter where you go, what you do, inside the classroom and out, you will have to deal with people who don't even seem to do the minimum necessary to progress in this world - and those who make the extra effort will often feel as if they are carrying them. (Yeah, I went through the same thing in my recent audio production course, dealing with flakes who wouldn't do their share of the workload, showed up an hour late to class, asked questions about stuff that had already been covered before they got there, etc...)

Just sit back and think about how you are able to accomplish so many of your goals in life (your career, your move to Hawai`i, etc.), and revel in the thought that a number of those other students may someday be the ones serving you your french fries.

Comment

I know small kine...

Ka wa e o jo san

Which means "you're really cute" in a nice way.

Only useful long ago when I was single.

Along with other sentences you now know.
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Ugh.

I had guests in town for the past week, and so I mostly neglected my studying. Well, thats not entirely true...I picked up a bunch of Japanese language only tourist magazines while in Waikiki, and was translating those to the best of my ability.

Regardless, now I feel like a very bad student, and I missed out on reinforcing everything I learned in class last week. I'm terrified of falling behind, and this class moves SO fast!

Does anybody know about Japanese tutuoring. Tutor is probably the wrong word. I would really like to be able to hang out with someone who knows more Japanese than I do, and speaks it better than me.

For clarity - my end goal is to be able to get a job working with tourists from Japan. To be able to say things like "look at that turtle" and be able to explain Hawaii history, all in Japanese. And to be able to go scuba diving and sailing and hiking with our visitors from Japan, and say more fun stuff like "this is a humpback whale", or "look at this beautiful waterfall", or "this is a humuhumunukunukuapuaa swimming by", or "would anyone like to go shopping at Hilo Hatties?", all in Japanese.

The closest I have come to this is trying to talk to Japanese tourists who surf Waikiki, and it's a bummer that I don't know phrases like "nice wave" yet.

Any ideas?
          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Got our midterm grades today. Not midterm as in "long difficult test", but midterm grades as in "its the middle of the semester, and here's how you're doing so far".

.....drumroll........

I have a 95% so far!!!

Okay, I'm a teeny little bit disappointed, but hey, an A is an A. I'll take it!! (and try harder for the rest of the semester)

Japanese is awesome!!!!

Comment

Ho`omaika`i, TG! Congratulations.
              As a reward, let's go kayaking out to Flat Island.
              You do all the paddling.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Grats, TG! You'll be fluent in no time

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                You do all the paddling.
                You owe me a new keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  You do all the paddling.
                  Why would you go there? It smells like birds

Glad you're doing well Turtle Girl. Seeing you have so much fun learning Japanese makes me want to give it a try myself.
                  Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                  Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

A 95 is something to be very proud of, especially when you've admitted you've been struggling a little. I've lived in Texas all my life and have taken Spanish since 3rd grade and STILL cannot get past conjugating present-tense verbs. It's like my brain will only get that far and then it shuts down and goes, "La la la mashed potatoes!" (Which will be so helpful in the advanced spanish I have to take to complete my degree) So I'm very in awe and impressed with your language capabilities. And you're right- an A is an A. Go celebrate- you've earned it!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

How's the Japanese going, TG?

I thought about you yesterday. Will and I were just talking about nothing in particular, when he said he wanted to get the Rosetta Stone language program. "Honey, I don't think they make it for Hawaiian. What, do you want it for Spanish?" "No, Mama! Japanese!"

Comment

I did it. Its done. My final exam was today, and now that its over, I want to scream...or cry...or sleep. I can't figure out which to do first. My brain is totally going to explode in a horrifying Japanese-language mess. Katakana, Hiragana, and Kanji all over the place.

I'm sure I got at least a B, hopefully an A. I can't believe I finally finished my first semester of Japanese. Its still sinking in - I did it(!!).

So, what did I learn, you may be wondering....
                        I know both alphabets - katakana and hiragana - and can read and write them
                        I can read about 40 kanji. Those funky pictures actually do mean words!
                        I can give and understand directions and count to 10,000
                        I can count in various ways - there's different ways to count people, flat things, cylindrical things, numerically ordered things, general things...
                        I can introduce myself in Japanese and chat about stuff that I like (or don't like)
                        I can make sentences that make sense!
                        I can ask for and tell time
                        I can figure out schedules (activity A takes place at time B, etc.)
                        I can ask for and understand telephone numbers
                        I can ask what, where, when, or who things are
                        I also learned a ton of useful verbs and adjectives, and how to modify them.

I'm so happy I finished this class!! Next semester starts in a month, and I can't wait! Today, though, I'm gonna drink a 12 pack of beer and take a nap

Comment

That's fantastic, TG - and I am jealous! You deserve a big 乾杯 !

Comment

... and the AF adds: "bakuhatsu shinaide chōdai."*

(* = "Please don't explode.")

Comment

Yay, TG! Congratulations! I'm so happy you finished your exams. I know you did great. Now you can add that to your resume!

I totally want to take a Hawaiian language class, but now that I have to work, I'm not sure when I'll be able to fit it in.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Grats, TG! I remember you being so overwhelmed on your first day. It's great to see you push past your fear and make. Woo hoo!
                                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                                "
                                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Working...
                                X