Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oceanic Cable Gets Fined By The FCC

link

"Oceanic's movement of programming to a SDV platform rendered inaccessible dozens of cable channels previously accessible on CableCARD-equipped UDCPs [Unidirectional Digital Cable Products]," the FCC ruling reads.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Oceanic Cable Gets Fined By The FCC

Wow I'm surprised the FCC is even doing anything to fix this.

With all the borderline corruption in gov't I would expect them to just look the other way and let the companies make their billions.

My only guess is that this must have been happening for a long time.

So by now the companies have probably already made their windfall and now it's time for the FCC to say, "Okay companies, sorry but the fun's over. Now we have to show the public we are actually doing our job!"

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
      With all the borderline corruption in gov't I would expect them to just look the other way and let the companies make their billions.
      Let's not get carried away. It's only hundreds of millions in Hawaii. They would have to exceed the "thousands of millions" to hit the billions mark....

:-)

What gives cable TV the marketing edge here is the topography. With so many mountains and valleys blocking broadcast TV, almost everyone is either on cable or satellite.

Comment

There are other reasons for the FCC to crack down:

http://starbulletin.com/2003/01/20/features/index2.html

This was five years ago!
        Burl Burlingame
        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

If it wasn't for HGTV then I don't think we'd even bother with cable or satellite...
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
            Let's not get carried away. It's only hundreds of millions in Hawaii. They would have to exceed the "thousands of millions" to hit the billions mark....

:-)

What gives cable TV the marketing edge here is the topography. With so many mountains and valleys blocking broadcast TV, almost everyone is either on cable or satellite.
            Point taken...but I was referring to the industry nationwide

And with the almost complete non-existence of investigative journalism in the national and local media, there's no telling what under the table deals have been going on for years.

It could be legal, like freebies and stuff that are legally okay, but ethical?

Just follow the money mr reporter and you'll find what you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
              Wow I'm surprised the FCC is even doing anything to fix this.
              Seriously, though, pumpkinboy. Does a $7,500 fine really “fix” anything? That amount is chump change to Oceanic Cable. I would equate their action to a “slap on the wrist.”

The real despicable action of the FCC in relation to Hawai‘i in recent years is the way they looked the other way when it came to “joint operating agreements.” Case in point: allowing Emmis Communication to own both KHON and KGMB simultaneously. While this type of “duopoly” was valuable for the print media (Honolulu Advertiser & Star-Bulletin), that was because there are only two dailies in this town. The effect of the Emmis “exception” was severely weakening KITV and KHNL’s ability to compete, while hampering KGMB’s ability to take meaningful steps to overtake KHON in the ratings.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                Almost everyone.

--still a fan of free TV.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                  Seriously, though, pumpkinboy. Does a $7,500 fine really “fix” anything? That amount is chump change to Oceanic Cable. I would equate their action to a “slap on the wrist.”

The real despicable action of the FCC in relation to Hawai‘i in recent years is the way they looked the other way when it came to “joint operating agreements.” Case in point: allowing Emmis Communication to own both KHON and KGMB simultaneously. While this type of “duopoly” was valuable for the print media (Honolulu Advertiser & Star-Bulletin), that was because there are only two dailies in this town. The effect of the Emmis “exception” was severely weakening KITV and KHNL’s ability to compete, while hampering KGMB’s ability to take meaningful steps to overtake KHON in the ratings.
                  If it is only $7,500 then it was definitely worth it for Oceanic to do it!

If you really think about it, Oceanic didn't break any rules...they simply paid the FCC a $7,500 "fee" to be allowed to do what it did.

Sounds like smart business to me.

And about EMMIS and KHON and KGMB, you hit the nail on the head.

BIG Business and Government, was there EVER a time when the two weren't washing each others backs?
                  Last edited by pumpkinboy; August 29, 2008, 02:57 PM.

Comment

FCC Vacates SDV Rulings Against Time Warner Cable, Cox

http://www.multichannel.com/article/..._Cable_Cox.php

The Federal Communications Commission on Friday reversed orders by the agency's Enforcement Bureau that fined Time Warner Cable and Cox Communications for deploying switched digital video.

"We base this decision on a plain reading of our rules, the potential consumer benefits of SDV deployment, and other factors that limit the potential scope of consumer disruption," the FCC said.

The FCC's Enforcement Bureau in January issued orders fining Time Warner Cable and Cox for moving some channels from their broadcast lineups to switched digital video, which made that programming inaccessible to CableCard-based devices like TiVo DVRs.

The orders covered Time Warner Cable Oceanic's Oahu and Kauai systems and Cox's Fairfax County, Va., system. The Enforcement Bureau levied $20,000 fines on each system; both Cox and TWC on Feb. 18 filed petitions for reconsideration of the forfeiture orders.
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                      If it wasn't for HGTV then I don't think we'd even bother with cable or satellite...

I used to watch HGTV dilligently until I realized they really cut corners. Hey let's paint this room puke green, nevermind sealing or primering the surface before painting. The camera crews will be long gone before it'll start peeling off the walls.

When I worked at Home Depot, I used to get sooooo many upset people asking me why it looked so easy on TV but ungodly difficult when they tried it. I told them the secret was time-lapsed recording where they make a two day job look like something you can do during commercial breaks and an entire behind the scenes crew doing the real part while the hosts barely break a sweat pounding one nail or completing one brush stroke.

Customers would come my way with this frantic look on their face and before they could say anything, I'd tell them, "You were watching HGTV and thought you could do that project and now your house is a disaster and am in need of help right?" They sheepishly nod their heads and I take them by their hand and walk them through the store gathering the tools, materials and self-help books while helping them create a strategic plan on corrective action on their home.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                      X