Favorite homemade Pupu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite homemade Pupu

What is your favorite pupu, the one you make at home? How about a recipe?

Here is mine:

NACHOS

- pinto beans (the lighter the color, the fresher they are)
    - one or two pieces of bacon
    - bacon grease
    - Jack and/or Cheddar cheese
    - white onion

1. wash pinto beans several times to remove any debris
    2. put pinto beans in a large pot or pan and cover with 2" of water and let stand for 8 to 12 hours. Beans will absorb water and puff up.
    3. pour off stale water and add fresh water and cover about 1/2 inch.
    4. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer in covered pan for 2 hours
    5. Sautee some diced onion
    6. fry bacon and crumble into 1/4 inch size pieces. reserve grease.
    7. remove beans from heat and add onion, bacon and grease, and salt to taste. Mash by hand with potato masher until consistency of poi.
    8. spoon refried beans over a layer of tortilla chips on a large flat plate
    9. melt some cheese and pour over refried beans
    10. add a layer of fresh diced onion over the cheese.
    11. turn on the Warriors game and munch to your heart's content.

Happy Saturday
    GO BEARS!
    Last edited by matapule; August 30, 2008, 03:11 PM.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: Favorite homemade Pupu

One thing I always make when putting pupu onto the table is a bowl of chopped up watercress with a mayo/worchestershire sauce dip on the side. The bite and the fiber is good to have, and works for those guests who need to eat healthy/dietary restrictions/vegetarians (we have them all in our family). I also cut up sweet onions and have a little dish of alaea salt. These items help regulate food and beer consumption.

If sashimi is reasonable, we have it. When times are hard, we resort to kamaboko, with a shoyu/mustard dipping sauce. Another delight is mixing up sardines, chopped tomatoes and chopped onions. Fish is a very important pupu.

pax

Comment

most definitely the sardines dish add shoyu and eat it with poi and other hawaiian food.

try stuffing fishcake with kim chee. not bad. the one with the hole in it. it's white on the inside and brown on the outside. don't recall the name. oh yeah, and sliced fishcake, the gobo veggie type with shoyu and mayo sauce.

we do the same thing with the watercress except we add ketchup to the sauce dip.

sliced tofu topped with furikake and green onions and/or bonito flakes served with shoyu and grated ginger sauce. can add chili pepper if you like.
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Cucumber stuffed kamaboko. Just get a "tube" kamaboko and a Japanese cuke. Peal some skin, trim the ends and stuff the cuke into the kamaboko. If the cuke is too big around, you can simply use the pealer to take some off. Slice and serve. I like mine dipped in homemade kochujang sauce. Just buy the paste for it at any market and mix it with a bit of sugar and rice vinegar to your taste. Add a bit of toasted sesame seeds and chopped green onion.

Right now, we've also been enjoying fried ulu (breadfruit) chips. We use a "mandoline" to slice them into 1/16" thick pieces. Just heat up some veggie oil at medium setting, fry till golden and crispy and sprinkle with sea salt right after you remove the chips from the oil.

Another simple pupu is crispy fried won ton pi. Easiest way is to cut the squares down the middle to form 2 triangles. Heat oil at medium heat and fry. Place fried pi chips on paper towels to drain and sprinkle with powdered sugar or drizzle with honey.

Comment

I was testing a pupu recipe when I came upon this thread. How convenient! This Spicy Edamame dish is supposedly served at Alan Wong’s and Roys restaurants as an appetizer. Exactly the same recipe ... sounds suspicious to me. The recipe was included in a Cook's Illustrated cookbook:

Spicy Chili-Fried Edamame
          1 pound frozen edamame
          1 tablespoon salt
          4 tablespoons peanut oil
          2 serrano chilies, seeded and minced
          1 (2 inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced (about 2 tablespoons)
          3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
          3 tablespoons shoyu (soy sauce)
          1 tablespoon oyster-flavored sauce
          1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

Boil edamame with salt until cooked. Drain and plunge into cold water to stop cooking. Drain again and set aside.

In a large frying pan or wok, heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil until hot and shimmering. Add edamame and cook, stirring constantly, until beans are heated through, 2-3 minutes.

Push beans aside, add remaining peanut oil, chilies and cook 30 seconds; add ginger and garlic and cook 1 minute. Add shoyu, oyster sauce, sesame oil and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is evaporated, about 30 seconds.
          Serve immediately.

Makes 6 servings as an appetizer.

VERDICT: Very good! Simple recipe, very inexpensive (a pound of frozen edamame is .99 at Don Quijote).

ONE CAVEAT: Be careful when handling the chilis.

BTW, I also like watercress as pupu. I'm used to just plain mayo. My favorite mayo dip is mayo-ketchup-horseradish. Never tried it with watercress, but I think it would rock.

Comment

"I was testing a pupu recipe when I came upon this thread. How convenient! This Spicy Edamame dish is supposedly served at Alan Wong’s and Roys restaurants as an appetizer. Exactly the same recipe ... sounds suspicious to me. The recipe was included in a Cook's Illustrated cookbook"

you have every right to be suspicious, honoruru.

many moons ago, i while working in high end retail, a client was hired to work as a chef at sam choy's. i was telling her that i had all his recipe books and she told me that while the ones in the cookbook are very close to the original, they could be missing other ingredients.
            "chaos reigns within.
            reflect, repent and reboot.
            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Ka'a'awa Baked Beans

big can-O-pork&beans
              big onion sliced up small
              bunch of bacon, sliced very small, and fried up crunchy
              lot's of maple surple
              mix together

Put all into a large shallow pan and place in oven farthest away from heat source and set the heat around 300%. Cook for hours. Check every 20 mins. to stir.
              The point is too cook off P&B juices and let grease and sugars permeate the beans and onions until the whole thing get's very dark, thick, and candy-like.

Warning - you'll probably eat til your fat, and take an entire bottle of bean-o beforehand, but I doubt it will help.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Ron, with that list of ingredients, I could not wait for it to cook for long.

Comment

I don't have my recipe book on me right now but I love making Crab & Kamaboko Wontons!

Based on my memory...
                  Won Ton Pi

Kamaboko, chopped small
                  Imitation Crab, chopped small
                  1/2 can waterchestnuts, diced
                  Green Onion
                  Cream Cheese
                  Maynaise
                  Garlic Powder
                  Salt & Pepper

Combine all the ingredients & put in Won Ton Pi...fry um up! Eat alone or with sweet sour sauce. YUMMY!

Oh...I tried something interesting today. My boss gave me this apple concoction, it was pretty good but kinda gross when you think about the ingredients.

Chopped Apple
                  Cool Whip
                  Snickers Bar

Freeze the snickers bar. Take the frozen snickers bar & crack it into pieces. Mix the chopped apple, cool whip & snicker pieces together. Ready to eat!
                  Bitter & Sweet....all in one bite.

Comment

see "eaten dog" thread.

Comment

Pupus is a must in our home during special ocasions. A couple of popular dishes that my family makes include:

Deviled Eggs: very simple, mayo and hard boiled eggs. We enjoy them with toppings, like smoked oysters, bacon bits, sprinkles of paprika. The kids enjoy making it with Mom.

My mother makes an awesome poke-cho: poke + nacho - wonton skins fried. This is an awesome treat. Yum-O Ready for grindz.

Comment

Originally posted by bittersweet View Post
                        Kamaboko, chopped small
                        Imitation Crab, chopped small
                        I thought kamaboko and imitation crab (surimi) made from Alaskan Polluck fish, were the same thing. Sorry for my ignorance. What is the difference?
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Alan Wongs inspired me to create this:

Kalua Pig Won Ton Tacos

I fry won ton pi into V-shaped taco shells

Place a small amount of kalua pig (or sub. portabello mushrooms, chicken, etc) into the shell.

Top with guacamole (avocado, mayo, salsa)

Top with lettuce or cabbage.

2-3 bites. Yum yum. Big hit at parties.

Comment

Oysters on a hibachi with an assortment of toppings (fresh lemon juice, cocktail sauce, soy sauce).

Comment

Working...
                            X