Republican National Convention 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Republican National Convention 2008

I'm going to say this: considering what I experienced this morning was pretty remarkable, I am reminded that the woman's vote has swung elections before.

U'ilani excerpted a bit from Peggy Noonan, but I will link the whole article here, because it is spot on.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
      that, I believe, is the only way to swing the vote. She has aces for likability. She needs to demonstrate that, wunnerful tough cookie though she may be, she is no way up to the task at hand.

Aikido. Biden cannot beat her. He needs to make her beat herself.
      I no like her.

The forked tongue flickering like dat is way disturbing. Watch her eyes...watch the eyes.

Comment

Gov. Palin's speech draws nearly as many television viewers as Sen. Obama's.
        About 37 million people watched convention coverage Wednesday night, according to preliminary data from Nielsen Media Research posted by TV Week. Those numbers include viewers at the three major networks, plus CNN, Fox News Channel and MSNBC.

Her speech beat comparable viewership figures from the Democratic National Convention in Denver last week, when 24 million people watched Democratic V.P. candidate Sen. Joseph Biden speak. It approached the convention-record 38 million set by Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama.
        Source

Perhaps the ticket should be reversed - Palin/McCain?

Comment

The ratings for Palin's speech probably has something to do with people wanting to learn more about her, listen to her, etc. considering she was practically unknown to a majority of the American public 2 weeks ago.

Cindy McCain mentions how proud the McCain's have 4 generations in the military, of course her husband John the day after he buried his father abruptly left the Navy. Then on to a career in Arizona politics, which was helped and financed by Charles Keating. Keating later spent 5 years in jail because of his shady Savings and Loan scandal that John McCain and 4 others were involved in.

Aj

Comment

Hmmmm...

I wonder if there will be a mention of the current republican president, George W. Bush, tonite.
            There hasn't been a single mention of his name or Cheney's yet at this trick and pony freak show.
            I can't understand why..., how odd...
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
              Keating later spent 5 years in jail because of his shady Savings and Loan scandal that John McCain and 4 others were involved in.
              I followed the congressional hearings on the Keating 5 pretty closely. The involvement of McCain (and Glenn) was marginal. In the crucial meeting with regulators he attended at Keating's behest, as soon as he learned there was a federal indictment, he just left the room right then. No special pleading or exerting influence to help his friend and sponsor -- he was out of there. In retrospect, it would have been far better for him not to have attended the meeting at all, of course ...
              Greg

Comment

I thought Palin's speech was well written and well delivered. Too bad it was completely lacking in substance. And that poor, self described red-neck, Levi. He looked like a deer in headlights. That kid certainly got more than his hormones bargained for.

The possibility of Palin becoming the president is still as frightening as ever. Bush's speech writer can't help her should that become a reality.

Comment

Someone needs teleprompter remedial reading classes.

Comment

Oops. Although the campaign released info that they were having teleprompter issues because the equipment was new and the operator wasn't sure how to work it.

Comment

Malloy of Nova, a successor to Air America, has said that the son who Palin lauded for going into the army was given a choice of going into the army or going to prison for vandalism. I have the funniest feeling that if it had been a Democratic candidate's son who had such a choice, the press would have done days of team reporting, no stone left unturned to inform every non- comatose human in North America of the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                        I followed the congressional hearings on the Keating 5 pretty closely. The involvement of McCain (and Glenn) was marginal. In the crucial meeting with regulators he attended at Keating's behest, as soon as he learned there was a federal indictment, he just left the room right then. No special pleading or exerting influence to help his friend and sponsor -- he was out of there. In retrospect, it would have been far better for him not to have attended the meeting at all, of course ...
                        Interestingly though, McCain was the only one of the Keating 5 senators who was a Republican. But as you correctly point out, he and John Glenn were exonerated and did not receive any discipline from the Senate.

The other three (including longtime Democratic Whip Alan Cranston) weren't so fortunate. Although they were not subjected to expulsion from the Senate, they were stripped of whatever leadership positions and committee chairmanships they had.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

McCain tried to distance himself from Charles Keating during that scandal even though it was well known in Arizona circles that it was Charles Keating and Cindy's dad who helped McCain in his first stab at local politics in Arizona.
                          Former AZ Senator Dennis Deconcini was the other Democrat involved in the Keating scandal. He was interviewed recently about McCain and the scandal.

Having attended high school and college in Arizona I saw firsthand McCain's rise in the political circles. I also know Charles Keating ruined the retirement savings of personal family and friends of mine in AZ. I could go on and on about the crooked politics in Arizona, but I've talked about it already in prior posts recently.

The Keating 5, Abscam and other political scandals involving members of Senate, House, etc. are not forgotten by those who lived thru the scandals.

Aj

Comment

McCain was more involved with Keating (in terms of his overall personal relationship and history with him and McCain's father in law business wise with Keating) than anyone else because of their past relationships. But to save his political arse, and a wise thing to do on his behalf he chose to distance himself from Keating more and more, to the point in which Keating called him out publicly "a wimp" amongst other crude name calling he often liked resorting to do. We were shocked in Arizona that McCain survived essentially unscathed, considering DeConcini let his term run out of the Senate, he was later appointed by Clinton to a position. It was McCain's wise choice to continue to do his job as Senator, look forward and distance himself with Keating that literally saved his career in AZ politics and eventual GOP nomination. So he turned "poor judgement" as the Senate Ethics Commission levied upon him into something positive by simply backing off or walking away from the crooked Keating.

Aj

Comment

McCain said tonight "I Will Not Let You Down", didnt George W. Bush say something similiar to that 8 years ago that he wouldnt let the country down like Clinton had done and restore honor and dignity to the White House?

I find these statements silly at times, of course it's obvious why would we want him to let us down in the first place.

Too bad George W. Bush didnt get a chance to list his "accomplishments" over the past 8 years at the convention, he had his short video speech and Cheney's name I dont think was uttered in the 4 days at the convention. Talk about distancing yourself from the GOP nominee, perhaps by the choice of McCain's camp? Of course George W. couldnt take a vacation in Crawford right now because of Hurricane Gustav and the GOP Convention, nice to know during an election year the administration showed they gave a damn about a possible natural disaster hitting the Gulf Coast again.

Aj

Comment

John McCain should have said, "Sorry, I don't accept the nomination, I just wanted to be invited to the party."

Comment

Working...
                                X