Republican National Convention 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Republican National Convention 2008

The Keating Five scandal was ugly. Some of those people who lost their life savings even committed suicide. I still remember TV news footage where Charles Keating was shown leaving the courtroom with his lawyer when a distraught elderly lady accosted him, saying "Bring back my husband! You bring back my husband!" His lawyer and security personnel quickly whisked him away from the scene. Through it all, Keating wasn't even man enough to look that old lady in the face.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

When Sarah Palin was officially nominated for the VP slot, Heart's Barracuda was blasted over the arena's PA system. Barracuda was Palin's nickname as a high school basketball player. But I wonder how Ann and Nancy Wilson feel about the Republicans appropriating their song? They are staunch Democrats.

Talk about shades of 1984, when the GOP used Bruce Springsteen's Born In The U.S.A. as their convention theme, which drove the Boss crazy. Especially since that song wasn't meant to be patriotic and, in fact, talked about all the things that were wrong with America.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

it seems like everybody here is preaching to the choir.....there are a few conservatives around...what amazes me is the lack of tolerance and aloha that goes on when obama supporters talk amongst themselves......the issues if discussed would speak for themselves....mccain/palin are the only ones that are really qualified to lead us into the challenges or the future....just cuz hawaii has been mislead by dems for......ever do we need to leadth entire nation down that path........
        the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          When Sarah Palin was officially nominated for the VP slot, Heart's Barracuda was blasted over the arena's PA system. Barracuda was Palin's nickname as a high school basketball player. But I wonder how Ann and Nancy Wilson feel about the Republicans appropriating their song?
          Yesterday they formally asked the RNC to stop using the song.
          So after McCain's speech tonight to end the RNC, what song was played?
          Yep.
          Barracuda.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Looking at the electoral count based on recent polling data, it could very well be that Ohio will again be the state that decides the election. Obama has been wisely campaigning in Ohio this week--rural Ohio, where McCain and especially Palin will be popular.

Can you imagine all of the campaign mail and phone calls those poor people are going to be inundated with during these next 2 months?

----
            Last edited by U'ilani; September 4, 2008, 09:29 PM.
            * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
            - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              Yesterday they formally asked the RNC to stop using the song.
              So after McCain's speech tonight to end the RNC, what song was played?
              Yep.
              Barracuda.
              Yeah, I saw that. But taking the discussion beyond the Wilson sisters' disapproval,....

It was one thing to play Barracuda when Palin's nomination was announced. But playing it again after McCain's nomination acceptance speech? It indicates something that has become glaringly apparent. McCain has been upstaged by his running mate, on a night where the focus was supposed to be on him.

For all of the pros and cons that Sarah Palin has brought to the GOP ticket, one thing cannot be disputed. The Alaska governor has really electrified and excited the GOP base in a way I haven't seen since, well, Ronald Reagan back in 1980. Some conservative pundits have attributed to her a rockstar/celebrity type of presence (which is ironic, since many of those same pundits mocked Obama for that very reason).

But one has to wonder if Palin's dynamic presence could too much of a good thing, especially if McCain and his record of experience and accomplishments are overshadowed by his exciting new running mate. If too much attention goes to the bottom of the GOP ticket, this could end up working against McCain if his campaign message is diminished or if the media's fascination with Palin leads to them picking up on every gaffe and mis-step she commits.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                I'm going to say this: considering what I experienced this morning was pretty remarkable, I am reminded that the woman's vote has swung elections before.

U'ilani excerpted a bit from Peggy Noonan, but I will link the whole article here, because it is spot on.
                I read the Noonan article. I must say I got a much different reaction out of it. What it told me is just how clueless today’s generation’s understanding is of what it means to be a Republican. I’m not talking about what Reagan or any of the Bushies stand for. They are not real Republicans. They are the product of the Rovian doctrine: the Religious Right and the neocons who hijacked the party after the great Barry Goldwater retired and left the GOP to its own devices.

These days, Republicanism has become faith-based and hawkish while fiscal discipline and non-interventionism have disappeared — artifacts that have become more rhetorical than philosophical. Yes, today, a Republican is a hater, a fearmongerer, a globalist (like the Dems) and a governmental lapdog. Look at escondido’s attempt to defend the party. Superficial surface propaganda lacking any real research of how Palin really got her “Barracuda” nickname. Any real issues? Of course not. The RNC was about “bashing” and “narratives,” so of course the partisans lap it up.

IMHO, people like John McCain and Sarah Palin are two of the most shameful examples of fake politicians masquerading as Republicans. It’s absolutely horrifying that McCain’s plan will actually tax the middle class more than Obama’s plan. McCain should be kicked out of the party for that fact alone.

The difference between me and scrivener is, scrivener is voting Libertarian to preserve the party’s eligibility. I’m voting Libertarian because Ron Paul is not on the ballot.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Smart humahumanukanuka'apua'a don't go for the bait.

Last edited by matapule; September 5, 2008, 04:41 AM.
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Eh...just think about it..........

Jesus was a Community organizer

Pontus Pilat was a Governor

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                      Eh...just think about it..........

Jesus was a Community organizer

Pontus Pilat was a Governor

Nice!

Just think about it ...

The Islamic Republic of Iran had a female vice president.

That did wonders for woman's rights, didn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        These days, Republicanism has become faith-based and hawkish while fiscal discipline and non-interventionism have disappeared — artifacts that have become more rhetorical than philosophical.
                        To reinforce the "fiscal discipline" point in TuNnL's post, here is information gleaned from an article in Maclean's magazine - about the surprising legacy of President Bush being more traditionally "liberal" in a number of areas:

Total federal spending rose 68% under Bush, more than double the growth in federal spending over the eight years of Clinton's presidency. Spending has increased across the budget. Bush was aided and abetted by a Congress dominated by Republicans until 2006. Spending bills were passed on everything from farm subsidies to health (up 44 per cent) and education (up 47 per cent). As a proportion of the economy, total government spending has increased over Bush's tenure, from 18.4 per cent of GDP in 2000 to 20.3 per cent of GDP in 2006, according to the Tax Policy Institute run by the Urban Institute and the Brookings Institution. Bush's tax cuts and spending replaced a string of four consecutive surpluses under Clinton with huge deficits beginning in 2002. For the fiscal year ending September 2009, the deficit is projected at nearly US$500 billion, the biggest ever.

Full article here.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                          ... the Religious Right and the neocons who hijacked the party ...
                          Don't forget the racists. Arguably the devolution of the GOP began with "the Southern strategy" of Nixon's 1968 campaign, in turn a reaction to the departure of the old racist South from the Democrat party after Lyndon Johnson's Voting Rights Act of 1965.
                          Greg

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
                            Quite possibly true...I almost wet my pants while laughing like crazy at the Republican VP nomination. Heck, I'll bet that someone out there almost peed themselves with laughter over this goofy banner.

Sarahcuda? Hahahaha!!! Everyone outta my way - I'm running to the polls as fast as I can to vote for this woman! She is obviously qualified to run for the title of 'dumb mean fish with sharp teeth'! Oh, wait, she wants to be VP??
                            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
                              it seems like everybody here is preaching to the choir.....there are a few conservatives around...what amazes me is the lack of tolerance and aloha that goes on when obama supporters talk amongst themselves......the issues if discussed would speak for themselves....mccain/palin are the only ones that are really qualified to lead us into the challenges or the future....just cuz hawaii has been mislead by dems for......ever do we need to leadth entire nation down that path........
                              It's good to have some conservative voices in this thread, rather than just letting us lefties do all the bashing.

Now that the Republican Convention is over, I gotta express my disappointment in timkona's contributions...or lack thereof. For someone who claims to target the two major parties with equal vitriol, the stats speak for themselves:

His contributions to the Dem Convention thread: 14 of 94, about 15%.
                              His contributions to the Rep Convention thread: 2 of (as of this post) 89, just over 2% - and one of those was to say that he would contribute more.

Hey, Tim: I realize that there are factors in your life that probably got in the way - it happens to us all - but I am honestly disappointed. This was the best chance I could see for you to prove that you could comment on (or attack) both parties equally, as you claim to be such an independent thinker, and I truly did want to see how you viewed both sides.

Yet you didn't follow through. You teased about how the Dems did their dog-and-pony show, but you let the Reps take a free ride. I wanted to see if you could be "fair and balanced" (in the words of your favorite news outlet) - but it looks as if you only loaded one barrel of your shotgun this time.

Comment

Hey, are you deaf? He's............ busy

Yes it's always just great to hear more right wing BS. Havn't had enuf of that yet.

And no, not one mention of the fabulous Bush or Cheney last night.
                                But, maybe they're saving the best for last. Tonite should be a huge display of republican love and reverential gratitude to B&C's 8 tremendous years. The endless ovations will no doubt be deafening as these two incredible cretins smirk they way onto the stage.
                                Yes, we should all be fearful of their two latest candidates, just like we have been so afraid to stand up against B&C for 8 years now as they snuff out truth, justice, and the American way.
                                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                                X