X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sarah Palin - pros & cons

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
    But why waste money on bullets? Just spread poisoned bait around, you can kill all the bears and wolves and beavers and deer and moose, etc, you'd ever want!
    Because there are a group of people who enjoy killing, just for killings sake. I have a relative who went deer hunting in Montana. He told me they got bored when they couldn't find any deer so they started shooting squirrels. He was laughing, saying it was just like an arcade at the Fair. Kill one and up pops another one.

I don't get it. Sure, kill an animal if you're going to eat it, but killing for killings sake is reprehensible. I'm embarrassed to tell you this story.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Regarding Governors becoming President or Vice President in recent memory, good or bad, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Reagan.
      Like Reagan during his second term I'll quote him, "I forgot" or should I say I'd like to forget about him.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
        Sincere kudos for sticking with your party, Scrivener!
        Believe me: If I thought Barr had a shot at actually winning, I wouldn't vote for him. But in this state, the inclusion of the Libertarian Party on the general ballot is determined by the number of votes cast for that party in the election before. When I vote for Bob Barr in November, it will be strictly so I can help keep my party on the ballot.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Aah, the Great Communicator. I shall always remember, during the Peoples Park demonstrations in Berkeley, Governor Reagan saying, if I recall correctly, "If they want a blood bath, let it be now". And "You seen one redwood, you've seen em all!"

Here is a funny story about the Peoples Park era. National Guard troops circled Cal. The radicals shut down Sather Gate, no traffic could move through the main entrance to campus. They chanted, "Sather Gate Is Closed! Sather Gate Is Closed!". Then, the National Guard moved in and displaced the demonstrators. They established a perimiter at Sather Gate. No one was allowed through. The radicals gathered around and chanted, "Sather Gate Is Closed! Sather Gate Is Closed!" And indeed it was.

Then, the Guard established a perimiter at the Park itself. To taunt them, "hippie chicks" (their term, not mine!) took off their tops, and bore their bare breasts to the troops. How to possibly respond?? So on orders the troops...put on gas masks!!!

And then the time a National Guard helicpoter was patrolling the campus. Suddenly, the troopers spotted what looked like a massive demonstration beginning! Thousands upon thousands of students were pouring out of the buildings! Chaos! Disorder! So they released teargas cannisters. And gassed students leaving class for an ordinary hourly class change.

But it was not all fun. No. Sorry I forget the victim's name but indeed a demonstrator was killed, shot on his roof, he died. These are my memories of The Great Communicator as Governor of California, always a man to throw flaming gasoline upon stormy waters.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
            Like Reagan during his second term I'll quote him, "I forgot" or should I say I'd like to forget about him.
            "There you go again."

He's the reason I changed my party affiliation (at the time of his inauguration, from "Republican" to "Independent" - later changed to "Democratic," in order to participate in caucuses and primaries).

Years ago, there was a weekly news-quiz feature published in newspapers, aimed at students. One section was about Newsmakers, and featured a photo of someone in the news, along with a brief, first-person comment, ending with the question "Who am I?"

One week in 1994, it was a picture of the former President, with a comment along the lines of "I was President of the United States from 1980 to 1988, and was recently diagnosed as having Alzheimer's Disease. Who am I?" That ending query seemed particularly apt.

Sorry I forget the victim's name but indeed a demonstrator was killed, shot on his roof, he died.
            James Rector. There is a mural near the park, memorializing his death on that "Bloody Thursday" (May 15, 1969).
            Last edited by Leo Lakio; September 3, 2008, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Sorry - post combined with above one.

Comment

Ah yes, Ronald Reagan...

After (mostly) successfully righting the tables after Tricky Dick's unAmerican antics, we blew it again by voting Reagan into office, twice.
                1980 was the beginning of the end for this country.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I shall always remember, during the Peoples Park demonstrations in Berkeley, Governor Reagan saying, if I recall correctly, "If they want a blood bath, let it be now". And "You seen one redwood, you've seen em all!"
                  OMG! How many of us were there? A trip down memory lane.

Oski, the gay mascot
                  Mario Savio
                  FSM (Free Speech Movement)
                  Betina Apfelberg
                  SNCC (Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee)
                  Hot damn, Viet Nam, Hell no, I won't go.
                  ho, ho, Ho Chi Minh
                  Brutus bathing in Sather fountain
                  Fraser's on Telegraph Ave.
                  The Rat for a beer
                  Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
                  Puff the Magic Dragon

Goooooo Bears!

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    Believe me: If I thought Barr had a shot at actually winning, I wouldn't vote for him. But in this state, the inclusion of the Libertarian Party on the general ballot is determined by the number of votes cast for that party in the election before. When I vote for Bob Barr in November, it will be strictly so I can help keep my party on the ballot.
                    Wakarimashita - I totally understand, now I gotta give you extra kudos!

Sooo, has anyone tried to bring up this circumstance...
                    Overtime job mom + full time job dad + a lot of children (5!) + very small town = unsupervised children and unwed teenage mom children?

Just sayin'...
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

• Re: Sarah Palin - pros & cons

Here's one thing I remember about Reagan very early on in his presidency, some people will applaud his decision and others will lambast it. Remember the air Traffic Controllers Strike? He told the workers if you don't get back to work by Monday, your're all fired! And that is what he did.

Hawaii voted for Reagan in 1984, last time the state pulled for a Republican. But 48 other states also voted for him.

Here's a hypothetical question, if McCain had put Lingle on the ballot as VP going up against Obama, how would the state vote? I think they would go for Obama, but what do others think.

I dont think Alaska has ever voted Democrat in a national election before, correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                        Sarah Palin has dragged her daughter into the campaign. Sarah Palin has made it relevant to the campaign. Don't blame HT members.
                        Did Bristol made any mention that she didn't want to be there? Because other than holding her youngest brother, I don't see her kicking and screaming while she got on-stage with her mother and her family.

Sighs.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                          Here's a hypothetical question, if McCain had put Lingle on the ballot as VP going up against Obama, how would the state vote? I think they would go for Obama, but what do others think.
                          Hey, I can only speak for my own vote.

But if you're looking for an analysis, considering the Hawaii's majority have a history of supporting Democrats most of the time, it's obvious.
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Back on topic. The Associated Press is running a story about Palin that includes this:
                            The Arizona senator's campaign set the tone for the day early with a written statement that stood out for its admission that Palin is under siege _ it condemned "this vetting controversy" _ and for its attempt to blunt questions about how rigorously McCain and his campaign explored the background of a candidate who may get the nation's second most powerful job. It also suggested that Palin is a victim of gender bias in the media
                            "This nonsense is over," senior campaign adviser Steve Schmidt declared in the statement, lashing out at "the old boys' network" that he says runs media organizations. "The McCain campaign will have no further comment about our long and thorough process," Schmidt said.
                            I had to boldface the "long and thorough process" for the obvious reason that it's a ludicrous statement.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

LOL, listen to these MSNBC political commentators, when they think the microphones are off (a bit of swearing).
                              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                              "
                              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                                LOL, listen to these MSNBC political commentators, when they think the microphones are off (a bit of swearing).
                                That is funny! The sound on my laptop isn't too good and I couldn't hear all of it. Sure would like to see a transcript of what they said.

Comment

Working...
                                X