X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sarah Palin - pros & cons

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    It's very telling about us, as a nation, that we spend so much effort discussing the physical appearance of a major political candidate. That's why we haven't had a female president yet.
    Sarah Palin's name wasn't on the ticket earlier.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

It's very telling about us, as a nation, that we spend so much effort discussing the physical appearance of a major political candidate. That's why we haven't had a female president yet.True - but don't forget that Christians make up a large part of Democratic voters as well (despite the GOP's efforts to portray the party's members as godless).

The liberal Democrats also often stand for things like gay marriage, condom distribution in schools, sex ed. classes, abortion rights, removal of God references, and so on that go against the what strict Christians believe in many cases. I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with this but to does seem to be how they feel.

George W. Bush for example REFUSED to meet the Log Cabin [ gay ] Republicans. While I'm sure the Log Cabin folks were not happy with him on that, his much larger Christian Conservative base was likely pleased. See below article.

03/24/00 - "Governor Bush would not meet with Log Cabin Republicans." Ari Fleischer, spokesman for Governor George W. Bush's presidential campaign, to the Wall Street Journal, but "may meet with a group of Republicans who support him and happen to be gay."

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post

I think it's great to see a women that is attractive as well as smart representing America
        So is that your criteria for what is necessary to represent America? Rather shallow don't you think? As far as being smart....she thinks the Pledge of Allegiance was drafted by the Founding Fathers and she doesn't know what the Vice President does, and we're only beginning to learn the rest about her.

instead of the nasty looking old bags that Clinton put in his cabinet.
        Now that wasn't very classy.

John McCain has good taste.
        We're not talking about good taste, we're talking about good judgement, there is a difference. If people are going to be so shallow, then we deserve the leadership we get.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Members of 'Fringe' Alaskan Independence Party Say Palin Was a Member in 90s

Comment

It never hurts to be attractive, in particlular in diplomacy with other Governments for example. The concept works on the "reptilian" part of the brain. A person is normally more inclined to go with the plans of someone that is attractive as opposed to a short, bucktoothed, morbidly obese slob with big hairy worts all over his face, with a shovel jaw and hook nose.

Comment

A person is normally more inclined to go with the plans of someone that is attractive as opposed to a short, bucktoothed, morbidly obese slob with big hairy worts all over his face, with a shovel jaw and hook nose.
              Well that settles it. I guess you won't be following me into battle anywhere!

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                Well that settles it. I guess you won't be following me into battle anywhere!
                I'm not saying it's that only factor but it is one factor.

Comment

I'm not saying it's that only factor but it is one factor.
                  My "looks" is the ONLY factor I have going for me! Other than that, I have no other redeeming social qualities. I'm not even house broken.
                  Last edited by matapule; September 1, 2008, 05:06 PM.

Comment

It never hurts to be attractive, in particlular in diplomacy with other Governments for example. The concept works on the "reptilian" part of the brain.
                    Ah - that explains why Margaret Thatcher was such a failure as a politician.

Comment

Ah - that explains why Margaret Thatcher was such a failure as a politician.
                      I dunno. Maybe she's beautiful by British standards.

Comment

I wish I'd been born rich instead of just good-looking.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                          I wish I'd been born rich instead of just good-looking.
                          Use your good look to be a trophy spouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                            I dunno. Maybe she's beautiful by British standards.
                            Well, why not? A Big Mac is gourmet cuisine by British standards.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Throughout the last couple of days, whenever questions were raised about Gov. Palin's preparedness (or lack thereof) to be vice president, or the impact that Troopergate and now, Babygate, will have on the GOP ticket, McCain supporters and Republican strategists fell back on the same response whenever they had no ready answer. "McCain's campaign has thoroughly vetted her." "When all the facts are revealed, everything will turn out fine." "She's the best possible candidate for the job."

Oh boy. I've got the feeling that those conservative pundits and their words of praise and assurance for Palin will soon make them look silly, in light of how poorly she was vetted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/us...ng.html?ref=us

Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity,.... if all of them assumed that McCain knew what he was doing with this veep selection, well, they're soon going to find out how mistaken they were. None of them are going to say so publicly, of course. But in their minds, they probably realize just how colossal a blunder the Palin selection was.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                                [...]
                                Oh boy. I've got the feeling that those conservative pundits and their words of praise and assurance for Palin will soon make them look silly, in light of how poorly she was vetted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/us...ng.html?ref=us
                                [...]
                                Wuuuuu!!! That's one damning article...
                                Aides to Mr. McCain said they had a team on the ground in Alaska now (my emphasis) to look more thoroughly into Ms. Palin’s background. A Republican with ties to the campaign said the team assigned to vet Ms. Palin in Alaska had not arrived there until Thursday, a day before Mr. McCain stunned the political world with his vice-presidential choice. The campaign was still calling Republican operatives as late as Sunday night asking them to go to Alaska to deal with the unexpected candidacy of Ms. Palin.
                                Sumthin' tells me this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Comment

Working...
                                X