X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sarah Palin - pros & cons

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    Sarah Palin has dragged her daughter into the campaign. Sarah Palin has made it relevant to the campaign. Don't blame HT members.
    And John McCain is bringing further attention to it.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
      LOL, listen to these MSNBC political commentators, when they think the microphones are off (a bit of swearing).
      And here is the transcript.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Ah, nice sluthing, matapule.
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
          Hawaii voted for Reagan in 1984, last time the state pulled for a Republican. But 48 other states also voted for him.
          Same thing happened in 1972, when Nixon swamped McGovern.

Here's a hypothetical question, if McCain had put Lingle on the ballot as VP going up against Obama, how would the state vote? I think they would go for Obama, but what do others think.
          I think Obama's popularity and the tarnished image of the Republican party would have been more than enough to offset whatever support Lingle would receive. It might be close if you just counted the Oahu and Maui vote, but the rest of the state would be overwhelmingly for Obama.

I dont think Alaska has ever voted Democrat in a national election before, correct me if I'm wrong on this.
          Alaska was a blue state in 1964, when Johnson won in a landslide over Goldwater. And the election before that, Nixon prevailed over Kennedy in the 49th state, but only by a thousand votes.
          Last edited by Frankie's Market; September 3, 2008, 04:40 PM.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

National Enquirer came out with story today that Sarah Palin had an affair with her husband's business partner (The Palin's have some sort of parttime fishing business that generates about $45K a year in income). The NE says this story is coming from some disgruntled family members. According to NE the whole Palin family is quite dysfunctional. The conflict between Sarah Palin and her MIL, Faye Palin, is well documented.

True or not? Who knows? The RNC is threatening the NE with a law suit if they don't retract. The NE is holding firm. According to NE they have staff in Alaska right now flushing out the story.

Here is the problem for the Republicans. Just one month ago, they were lauding the NE for breaking the Edwards story. Now they are calling the NE trash news. The Republicans are trying to have it both ways. So far, the Dems are steering clear.
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Here's something about that letter that's been going 'round:

http://fairlyconservative.com/the-ra...y-from-alaska/

Comment

Well, Palin's speech was kinda cute, except it reminded me of this line from The Blues Brothers movie:
                "You know what a Wish Sandwich is? It's when you have two pieces of bread and you WISH you had some meat."
                Palin's speech had the bread, but absolutely no meat.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I liked her folksy, down-to-earthiness, and her attack on the elites and even big business (very populist!). Good job. The real test will be when she debates against Biden. The big question, though, is whether she can gain voters in those battleground states of Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. Too soon to tell, no matter what the overnight polling shows. But the debates will be interesting and will show if she really is ready for primetime or not.
                  * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                  - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Reminded me tooo much of my GOP mom: cynical, sarcastic, gleefully itchby.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Hmm, I would probably like LikaNui's mom.

I think Peggy Noonan, she of the open microphone on MSN, was exactly right in how she described Palin:

"Because she jumbles up so many cultural categories, because she is a feminist not in the Yale Gender Studies sense but the How Do I Reload This Thang way, because she is a woman who in style, history, moxie and femininity is exactly like a normal American feminist and not an Abstract Theory feminist; because she wears makeup and heels and eats mooseburgers and is Alaska Tough, as Time magazine put it; because she is conservative, and pro-2nd Amendment and pro-life; and because conservatives can smell this sort of thing -- who is really one of them and who is not -- and will fight to the death for one of their beleaguered own; because of all of this she is a real and present danger to the American left, and to the Obama candidacy.
                      She could become a transformative political presence."

I've spent some time in Alaska for work and most recently for a family vacation and I will tell you that the women in Alaska are hardworking, gritty, no-nonsense folk whom I admire greatly. I don't believe this qualifies one for the office of VP, but it does, for me, compete adequately with Obama's story of "personal discovery".

But as I said, the debates are all-important. Then we will see if there is any meat to her personal narrative.
                      * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                      - Anna Quindlen

Comment

There is a really ugly rumor on the internetS now about the Palin family but of course I will not repeat it here. If it gets some mainstream press play, you will know exactly what I am talking about.

Comment

Her story could be made into a dark movie about the perfect family with secrets starring Joan Allen.

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
                            Hmm, I would probably like LikaNui's mom.
                            Thanks! She was a nurse who gave up her career to raise her family. Sweet, unassuming, religious, salt of the earth. A wonderful woman. (I'm just not sure why she got brought into this thread.)

But as I said, the debates are all-important. Then we will see if there is any meat to her personal narrative.
                            Yep, that was my point too. She'll probably play well in rural small-town America, but poorly in urban metropolitan America.
                            She stumbled in the very brief part of her speech that was even fractionally close to "meat" and which was clearly from the teleprompter and not from her personally. I expect Biden will eat her alive in their debate. She'll cram and will likely have pat platform answers, but how will she handle the curveballs?
                            So far, the whole Republican convention has been no meat... just vicious negativity.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                              There is a really ugly rumor on the internetS now about the Palin family but of course I will not repeat it here.
                              Wow. You are smart.
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Re: "Troopergate"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26535299/

"EAGLE RIVER, Alaska, Sept. 3 - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the running mate for GOP presidential candidate John McCain, wrote e-mails that harshly criticized Alaska state troopers for failing to fire her former brother-in-law and ridiculed an internal affairs investigation into his conduct.

The e-mails were shown to The Washington Post by a former public safety commissioner, Walter Monegan, who was fired by Palin in July. Monegan has given copies of the e-mails to state ethics investigators to support his contention that he was dismissed for failing to fire Trooper Mike Wooten, who at the time was feuding with Palin's family.

/snip

Asked about the e-mails, Palin's campaign spokeswoman, Maria Comella, said that Palin was merely alerting officials to potential threats to her family and that there is no evidence that Palin ever ordered Wooten to be fired.

/snip

In August, Palin acknowledged that "pressure could have been perceived to exist, although I have only now become aware of it."

Comment

Working...
                                X