This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sarah Palin - pros & cons

Thanks, Vanguard! That was a very interesting read!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

The McCain campaign has sezied upon the notion that executive experience in govt. trumps legislative experience in an effort to prop up Sarah Palin as being more prepared for the Presidency than Barack Obama is. Let's stop for a moment and assume that statement is true. It would lead to the following questions, then;

1) How could McCain say that he was a better candidate for President than Mitt Romney (governor of Massachusetts), Rudy Giuliani (mayor of NYC), and Mike Huckabee (governor of Arkansas) when McCain himself has ZERO experience as a chief executive?

2) If executive experience is all that important, then McCain should have given more serious consideration to Linda Lingle. While Palin was mayor of Wasilla for 6 years and governor of Alaska for a year and a half, Lingle was mayor of Maui for 8 years and governor here for almost 6 years now.

The size of the respective municipalities/states are also striking. Maui County has over 140,000 people, while Wasilla has less than 9,000. The entire state of Hawaii's population is over 1.2 million, while Alaska is estimated at roughly 670,000.

When you make the comparison between Lingle and Palin, surely, the choice for McCain should have clear, right????

Well,.... of course I know the choice wasn't that simple. There would have been several problems with putting Lingle on the ticket.

1) Lingle is currently single. American public is used to the idea of their Presidents and Vice Presidents having a spouse and children.

2) Lingle is of the Judaism faith. This would not play well with Christian fundamentalists. Ironically, this would be less of a problem if she was running as a Democrat.

3) Lingle is pro-choice. The same comments from #2 apply.

4) This will sound sexist and superficial. And the McCain campaign will deny it. But let's face it. Palin is more physically attractive than Lingle is. And as another poster pointed out; McCain's first wife was a beauty queen. His second wife was a beauty queen. Palin was a beauty queen. It wouldn't be out of line to say that McCain has an eye for beauty when it comes to picking his partners,.... whether it be marital or political.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Gotta say our Governor has a sense of humor, she said yesterday she made the media round of interviews as "Palin's body double." I had to think about that for a second and then laughed.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
          Gotta say our Governor has a sense of humor, she said yesterday she made the media round of interviews as "Palin's body double." I had to think about that for a second and then laughed.

Aj
          Makes me wonder just how close it came to her actually being the VP select.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

• Re: I'm sold

it seems almost pointless to get into serious debate over palin (to me, it's a no-brainer) but since someone mentioned HT-ers, i'd vote for aunty pupule before i voted for palin!

Originally posted by matapule View Post
            I'd vote for Vanguard, regardless of affiliation. Since s/he is an HT'er s/he has got to be a good person. In fact there are any number of people on this Board who could do a better job than McPain/Falin. Seriously.
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

• Re: I'm sold

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
              it seems almost pointless to get into serious debate over palin (to me, it's a no-brainer) but since someone mentioned HT-ers, i'd vote for aunty pupule before i voted for palin!
              Well hopefully, the voters of district seven at least have enough sense to vote for aunty pupule over romy “salt lake spur” cachola.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Interesting....

http://www.laprogressive.com/2008/09...mean%E2%80%9D/

This one too:

http://juneauempire.com/stories/0429...73340314.shtml
                Last edited by Peshkwe; September 5, 2008, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Wasn't Sarah Palin the woman pilot on Northern Exposure? I hope she didn't shoot the Moose in the opening credits with her rifle and bikini.
                  I wonder if Tina Fey will make cameo appearances on SNL as Sarah Palin, if she wasn't on Third Rock.
                  Last edited by Walkoff Balk; September 5, 2008, 07:39 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                    Wasn't Sarah Palin the woman pilot on Northern Exposure?
                    No. That character liked native Alaskans.

Comment

Hmmm... looks like the dark cloud hovering over Palin is about to turn darker. Alaska state legislators are raising the stakes by issuing subpoenas for witnesses in the Troopergate investigation. This could make the completion of their findings before the November election more realistic.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        Hmmm... looks like the dark cloud hovering over Palin is about to turn darker. Alaska state legislators are raising the stakes by issuing subpoenas for witnesses in the Troopergate investigation. This could make the completion of their findings before the November election more realistic.
                        Assuming there are no snags, yes. But in that very same AP article, it reports:

French and Branchflower, both former Anchorage prosecutors, said the state's Legislative Council has the right to authorize the investigation.

But Palin's state-hired attorney Thomas Van Flein said the matter should be taken up by the state's personnel board, made up of three people appointed by former Gov. Frank Murkowski. Van Flein and Palin have asked the three members to resolve the dispute over the firing.

Palin and her lawyer are jonesing to take the investigation out of the hands of the Alaskan Legislature and into the jurisdiction of the state personnel board. So there could be a legal fight to determine which govt. entity should be conducting the investigation. If so, there could be a delay. Is Palin engaging in some kind of a stall tactic, with the hope that a critical report for her administration's handling of this matter will not come out before the general election?

One important thing that the AP article neglects to mention. While it is true that the 3 person panel making up the Alaskan state personnel board were all initially appointed by Palin's predecessor (Frank Murkowski), CNN confirmed that Palin herself re-appointed one of those members (Debra English) in 2008. Looks to me like a classic conflict-of-interest scenario to have this personnel board conducting the investigation.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          CNN confirmed that Palin herself re-appointed one of those members (Debra English) in 2008. Looks to me like a classic conflict-of-interest scenario to have this personnel board conducting the investigation.
                          No doubt. And speaking of CNN, they apparently obtained an exclusive interview with Alaska State Trooper Mike Wooten on the events that have unfolded over the last week. In it, he concedes he did wrong, but also issues some clear denials.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

An interesting letter by someone who knows Palin. Snopes has checked out that the letter really did come from the person from whom it appears to be sent.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/kilkenny.asp

Comment

The news continues to get worse for John McCain and the Republican ticket. McCain’s own hometown paper is now concluding that he may have undercut his own message by picking Sarah Palin for the VP slot. The Arizona Republic makes an astute observation that Palin hijacked the central focus of the Republican National Convention and her narrative with all its controversy, became the eye of the media frenzy, fittingly enough, during the middle of storm season in the Gulf Coast.

In the mean time, ABC News put together what I feel is the most comprehensive, concise report on why people should question Palin’s integrity in the first place. Clearly, after watching that segment, you have to conclude that an investigation into Palin’s actions, while serving in official capacity as governor, is justified.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                                An interesting letter by someone who knows Palin. Snopes has checked out that the letter really did come from the person from whom it appears to be sent.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/kilkenny.asp
                                Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                                In the mean time, ABC News put together what I feel is the most comprehensive, concise report on why people should question Palin’s integrity in the first place. Clearly, after watching that segment, you have to conclude that an investigation into Palin’s actions, while serving in official capacity as governor, is justified.
                                If the "sterling" character witness provided by Ms. Kilkenny is accurate, it wouldn't be far-fetched to think that Gov. Palin held a personal grudge and subsequently fired state police chief Monegan because he wouldn't go along with firing her ex-brother-in-law state trooper. How ironic it would be that this police chief firing turns out to be THE fatal mistake that derails her career.

Hey, every bully gets their comeuppance sooner or later in life.

Kilkenny's letter also undercuts one of the jabs that she threw at Obama, when she cracked, "A small-town mayor is sort of like a 'community organizer,' except that you have actual responsibilities" But as Kilkenny points out, Palin didn't do the day-to-day work of managing the town of Wasilla. An administrator was hired to carry out that responsibility.

Comment

Working...
                                X