X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sarah Palin - pros & cons

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    She likes Ron Paul for President. This should make tunnl happy.
    Actually, you are confusing the Libertarian Party with the Alaska Independence Party. From the article posted by Frankie's Market:
    Among other less attention-grabbing news of the day: it was learned that Ms. Palin now has a private lawyer in a legislative ethics investigation in Alaska into whether she abused her power in dismissing the state’s public safety commissioner; that she was a member for two years in the 1990s of the Alaska Independence Party, which has at times sought a vote on whether the state should secede;
    The party Palin was “welcoming” in Vanguard’s initial post is one that she was a member of at one time. Small wonder for the big hoohaa. (in any event, it has nothing to do with Ron Paul)

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Not a major issue in the campaign, by any means. But interesting nonetheless.

Sarah Palin's own mother-in-law (Faye Palin) says she's currently undecided about who she'll vote for come November.

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/na...osition=active

WASILLA, Alaska - Sarah Palin’s controversy-splashed arrival on the national stage continued as her own mother-in-law revealed she doesn’t know who she’ll vote for in the election.

Faye Palin admitted she’s a Barack Obama fan and wasn’t sure what the mother of her five grandchildren adds to McCain’s campaign.

“I’m not sure what she brings to the ticket other than she’s a woman and a conservative. Well, she’s a better speaker than McCain,” Faye Palin told the New York Daily News.

Needless to say, a very tepid comment. Of course, Faye no doubt has a deeper insight than the rest of us into the kind of person that Gov. Palin really is and what she's like in private when there's no reporters and cameras around. I just find it ironic that so many of Sarah Palin's supporters praise her as being a supermom. And yet, her own mother-in-law, someone who knows her a lot better and longer than any political commentator, can't bring herself to say that she'll vote for her son's wife. Curious.
      Last edited by Frankie's Market; September 2, 2008, 12:52 AM.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Sarah Palin stormed onto the national scene last Friday with McCain and made an impression with her "Thanks but no thanks" quote when talking about how she rejected a federal earmark to build the now-infamous Bridge To Nowhere. Her battlecry against costly earmarks and wasteful pork barrel spending showed her as being on the same page with McCain.

But now, McCain is finding out why it is important to fully vet a veep pick instead of making a gut decision.

First, it didn't take long for the media to discover that Palin supported the Bridge To Nowhere during the 2006 Alaskan gubernatorial campaign. But once she achieved her goal of being governor, she promptly abandoned that pledge. (Safe to say that Palin doesn't have an 80% approval rating in Ketchikan.)

And now, its revealed that Palin actively seeked and lobbied for federal earmarks during her tenure as mayor of Wasilla.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,6108885.story

Well, at least when it comes to flip-flopping, McCain and Palin are still on the same page.

Things aren't looking so great on the Troopergate front, either. New e-mail correspondence between the former state police chief and the governor's office is now being considered in the ongoing ethics investigation.
        Last edited by Frankie's Market; September 2, 2008, 01:38 AM.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          Sarah Palin's own mother-in-law (Faye Palin) says she's currently undecided about who she'll vote for come November.

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/na...osition=active

WASILLA, Alaska - Sarah Palin’s controversy-splashed arrival on the national stage continued as her own mother-in-law revealed she doesn’t know who she’ll vote for in the election.

Faye Palin admitted she’s a Barack Obama fan and wasn’t sure what the mother of her five grandchildren adds to McCain’s campaign.

“I’m not sure what she brings to the ticket other than she’s a woman and a conservative. Well, she’s a better speaker than McCain,” Faye Palin told the New York Daily News.
          Interesting. I can’t help but wonder if (Faye) Palin ever forgave her son, Todd, for his elopement with the then-Sarah Heath. The whole “how dare you let a woman upstage you” argument. All speculation, of course.

A significant “Bristol” item came to light today. As far as I can tell, the Washington Post is the first mainstream media publication to fully identify her boyfriend/fiancé as 17-year-old Levi Johnston.

In the same report, a statement attributed to a “senior campaign aide” I find quite laughable:
          The aide denied reports that a team of a dozen McCain staffers has traveled to Alaska to do further investigation of Palin's background. The adviser confirmed the team is there, but said it would have had a similar assignment whomever McCain had chosen.
          Give me a break! Since when does the vetting process begin a few days before the candidate is announced, and continue sometime after?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            Actually, you are confusing the Libertarian Party with the Alaska Independence Party.
            Actually no, in a television interview about 6 months ago, she was asked about Ron Paul. She said she thought he would make a good President. I've lost the link.
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Oh boy. I've got the feeling that those conservative pundits and their words of praise and assurance for Palin will soon make them look silly, in light of how poorly she was vetted.
              The Federal Bureau of Investigation did not participate in the vetting of Gov. Sarah Palin and did not conduct a background check as part of the process, an FBI spokesman said today.

Comment

Needless to say, a very tepid comment. Of course, Faye no doubt has a deeper insight than the rest of us into the kind of person that Gov. Palin really is and what she's like in private when there's no reporters and cameras around.
                Well, here's the rest of the story. When Sarah Palin stepped down as Mayor of Wasilla to run for Lt. Governor (which she lost), her mother-in-law, Faye Palin ran for the vacant mayoral seat. Sarah Palin supported her opponent, who eventually won. Evidently, she didn't support her MIL because Faye is "pro-choice." Since when is abortion rights a city government issue? Sarah Palin is vindicative, inflexible, and simply doesn't get it. Here is the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/us...2&ref=politics

This must make for scintillating conversation around the cozy family setting at Thanksgiving. Dysfunctional Family! reminds me of my own.......but I'm not running for VP. AlohaKine says I am too ugly.. You broke da eyes, bruddah!

On another note, Sarah Palin says her daughter made a "choice" to have the baby: "We’re proud of Bristol’s decision to have her baby........" Isn't making a "decision" what pro-choice is all about?

Sarah Palin, I have a question for you, why are you allowing your daughter to make a decision, but you are willing to legislate that other woman in the USA cannot make this decison?

Sarah Palin is someone who talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk. Do as I say, not as I do! In my opinion she is dangerous. She is willing to interject her personal conservative biases into every aspect of everyone's personal life. She has the characteristics of a fascist dictator in the making.

And she wants to be Vice President of the United States.
                Last edited by matapule; September 2, 2008, 04:38 AM.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Here’s a reaction to the Palin nomination from Alaska State Democrat Representative Mike Doogan:
                  …But debating foreign policy with Joe Biden? What’s she going to do? Hit him with her briefing book? If Palin has two thoughts about foreign policy, she’s managed to keep them to herself. Ditto health care. National energy policy. Fiscal policy. You could make a long, long list, but I’ll stop there. She’s going to need a lot of handlers feeding her a lot of talking points, and she’s going to have to hope that the discussion only goes about yay-deep.
                  She’s also going to have to hope that the national media is as pliable as Alaska’s has been. Palin doesn’t like people criticizing her, and she’s as competitive as any linebacker you ever met. If the campaign gets a little rough and tumble, that could be a bad combination.
                  So she could be great as a candidate. Or so so. Or blow up on the pad. But if the McCain-Palin ticket should win? Yikers. There’s no way on God’s green earth that she’s prepared to be president of the United States. The only consolation for me is remembering that J. Danforth Quayle once held the job she’s trying to get, and the world didn’t end.
                  But Sarah Palin?
                  Really?

Comment

Proud to be a redneck: The teenager expecting a baby with Sarah Palin's 17-year-old daughter

Yeah, I went there.

Sorry, Barack!

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                      Give me a break! Since when does the vetting process begin a few days before the candidate is announced, and continue sometime after?
                      Since time was running out, and Sen. McCain's camp felt it was key for him to make his VP announcement immediately following the Democratic Convention, so as to grab the media attention.

Boy, did they get the media attention, all right.

Sarah Palin is someone who talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk. Do as I say, not as I do! In my opinion she is dangerous. She is willing to interject her personal conservative biases into every aspect of everyone's personal life. She has the characteristics of a fascist dictator in the making.

And she wants to be Vice President of the United States.
                      Just following in the footsteps of the current administration. But I hear that Gov. Palin handles a firearm better than V.P. Cheney.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                        I wonder if it's bad enough to resign over? The fact that a VP candidate of a major political party is even under investigation must be a first in the history of this country.
                        It's not. Well, maybe it is. But a sitting VP has been under investigation.

With those photos of her waving around a firearm, she reminds me of Aaron Burr. Cheney should have come to mind first
                        I know it's tempting to compare her with Cheney in this respect, but she does come from a place where owning a firearm is a matter of survival against nature. I don't suspect the current VP owns firearms for similar reasons.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        It's very telling about us, as a nation, that we spend so much effort discussing the physical appearance of a major political candidate. That's why we haven't had a female president yet.
                        If someone looks good, it's worth noting, 'though it certainly shouldn't be an issue. Many pundits commented on the good looks of John Edwards and Dan Quayle, too. Quayle, in response, once introduced himself to a group of journalists by saying, "Hi. I'm Robert Redford."

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                        The liberal Democrats also often stand for things like gay marriage, condom distribution in schools, sex ed. classes, abortion rights, removal of God references, and so on that go against the what strict Christians believe in many cases. I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with this but to does seem to be how they feel.
                        Not sure what "strict Christian" means, but I have spent most of my life in churches with people who have voted in recent years for Republican candidates, and a great many of them are in favor of these things you list. Please don't lump us all together. Like any segment of the voting population, we can be as intelligent or as stupid, as one-issued or as multifaceted as any other.

On another note, Sarah Palin says her daughter made a "choice" to have the baby: "We’re proud of Bristol’s decision to have her baby........" Isn't making a "decision" what pro-choice is all about?

Sarah Palin, I have a question for you, why are you allowing your daughter to make a decision, but you are willing to legislate that other woman in the USA cannot make this decison?
                        This is a good point that I hope someone brings up with her. However, all this quote says is that she let her daughter make a choice and is happy she made what she considers the right choice. The freedom to make even the wrong choice is one of the basic tenets of the Christian faith. Bristol could have chosen to rob a bank, too, but saying she's proud that Bristol didn't doesn't mean Palin is in favor of making the other choice legal.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

This is all the Democrats' fault. If they hadn't had a national convention with a colossal speech by their candidate, McCain wouldn't have had to rush and fumble his VP pick.

Don't the Repubs have to endorse Palin at the convention this week? What if she doesn't pass?
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

This from the UK:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/w...-revealed.html

They're saying Sarah was possibly pregnant with her first child before she was married back in 1988. People are going to be saying Bristol is following in old mom's footsteps. Take what the UK newspapers say with a grain of salt at times considering some of the leading papers over there are equivalent
                            to our very own National Enquirer. Have to admit the National Enquirer is often correct, they would be sued more often if they were not.

Aj

Comment

Has anyone else received the viral, lengthy email that contains a scathing expose of Gov. Palin by a Bryn Mawr grad, from Alaska, to her classmates? I checked snopes.com and, so far, it doesn't show up there!

Comment

Huffington Post weighs in on Sarah Palin:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-o..._b_123138.html

As we mentioned before in an earlier thread, if McCain does drop her from the ticket with someone else it won't be the first considering McGovern did this to the late Thomas Eagleton shortly after the two were nominated as the Dem's ticket in 1972.

Aj

Comment

Working...
                                X