X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sarah Palin - pros & cons

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    Actually no, in a television interview about 6 months ago, she was asked about Ron Paul. She said she thought he would make a good President. I've lost the link.
    On MTV, back in February. She called him "cool," and admired his independence.
    Link

Comment

I was mortified this morning watching GMA splatter pictures of Bristol, the boyfriend, his myspace bio and so forth. All I could think of was "McCain, I got to hand it to you. Hit the American bell curve right in the moral kisser. Ain't nobody paying attention to stuff like The Real Issues right now..." I cannot help but hurt for the Palin family, which is exactly where McCain wants me to be, considering that he couldn't get me to care about his ticket otherwise.

When I look at that teenage girl, I am angry on her behalf that she is being exploited.

pax

Comment

James Carville rips it. ROTFLMAO!

pax

Comment

Even without considering the adequate or inadequate qualifications of Palin, I find it very interesting that McCain hardly even knows her!

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archi...9/1307122.aspx

"The McCain camp has just released a tick-tock of how the Palinpick came to be. And according to it, McCain had met her just one time prior to yesterday".
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post

Oooh! I saw this, and went there - to myspace!! It seems that the profiles available for Levi Johnston in Alaska were created by Barack Obama supporters. Sigh. I wish I had done this yesterday when it had occured to me. Likely he has removed his real profile by now.
            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Of course, context is everything, but the more we hear Palin unfiltered, the more you have to wonder if she’s VP material. In a radio interview she did as Governor, she laughs at a shock jock’s suggestion that Sen. Lyda Green, a cancer survivor, is “a bitch” and a “cancer.” Maybe she thought it was funny, but you have expect someone in Palin’s position should be mature enough to take the higher road.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                However, all this quote says is that she let her daughter make a choice and is happy she made what she considers the right choice. The freedom to make even the wrong choice is one of the basic tenets of the Christian faith.
                So is Palin pro-choice? No, only for her daughter. For everyone else, she is pro-life. No choice, no decision, Sarah Palin will decide what is good for you. What a hypocrite!

The freedom to make a choice about a woman's own body when it comes to child birth, is NOT one of the basic tenets of fundamental evangelical christianity. This religious movement is out of tune with God. God will decide whether a woman has made the right choice. Fundamentalist Evangelical christian, Sarah Palin, need not get involved.
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

So is Palin pro-choice? No, only for her daughter. For everyone else, she is pro-life. No choice, no decision, Sarah Palin will decide what is good for you. What a hypocrite!
                  *sigh*

Yes, I know that is one way of looking at it. But I don't think it is the only way of looking at it. I'm not stepping into the abortion debate because we both know where that leads, and besides, I'm undecided. However, when a mother says she's glad her daughter made a certain choice, she's not saying that the alternate choice should be legal. My parents are glad I chose to be a teacher and not a pirate. That doesn't mean they think I should have the legal choice to hijack ships at sea. It is not hypocritical to be glad your daughter chose what you think is right.

The freedom to make a choice about a woman's own body when it comes to child birth, is NOT one of the basic tenets of fundamental evangelical christianity. This religious movement is out of tune with God. God will decide whether a woman has made the right choice. Fundamentalist Evangelical christian, Sarah Palin, need not get involved.
                  On this we may agree. A lot of things are not part of the basic tenets of Christianity: Those tenets all have to do with who we are, who God is, what the Bible is, and what our relationship with God is supposed to be.

From a legal standpoint, and I mean from a governmental standpoint, one side thinks the rights of the child supersede the rights of the mother, while the other thinks the rights of the mother supersede the rights of the child, where the interests of one conflict with the interests of the other. This is not a religious issue, 'though many try to make it so. I myself am an anti-abortion pro-choicer, if I absolutely must choose a side. I know this thread isn't about me, but you took it beyond Ms. Palin and made a statement about Evangelical Christians, and I am telling you that your judgment goes a bit far. Please, as I have asked before, don't lump us all into one category.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                    James Carville rips it. ROTFLMAO!
                    Oh, that's goooood! Loved it when he showed the picture of the City Hall where Palin was mayor, and he said it "looks like a bait shop in south Louisiana."
                    Also had to love how the lady politician from Minnesota kept refusing to answer if Palin was the best person the Republicans could've picked. Carville kept pressing her for an answer and she'd hem and haw and change the subject every time.
                    Good clip, PM. Thanks!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I'm not stepping into the abortion debate because we both know where that leads, and besides, I'm undecided. However, when a mother says she's glad her daughter made a certain choice, she's not saying that the alternate choice should be legal. My parents are glad I chose to be a teacher and not a pirate. That doesn't mean they think I should have the legal choice to hijack ships at sea.
                      Well, for someone not stepping into the debate, you shouldn't have made any further statements on the topic, Scrivener.

I just want to point out that this is not a fair comparison to make. Your choice of career was not an either/or situation (teacher OR pirate, no other options - though that would make for a very interesting world). But having an abortion OR carrying the child to term is - there are no other options. (Yes, there are options after the child is born, but that's not relevant in this case.)

Comment

It is not hypocritical to be glad your daughter chose what you think is right.
                        Sarah Palin allows her daughter to choose but she doesn't want to let other people choose. Why can't Sarah Palin let other people decide and then be glad when they make the choice that pleases her? That is hypocritical. This is starting to sound like a circular argument.

From a legal standpoint, and I mean from a governmental standpoint,..........
                        Just stop right there. It has already been decided from the legal, governmental standpoint. It is called Roe v. Wade. Sarah Palin is part of a group that wants to overturn that Supreme Court ruling.

made a statement about Evangelical Christians, and I am telling you that your judgment goes a bit far. Please, as I have asked before, don't lump us all into one category.
                        I didn't call you a fundamentalist, evangelical christian. I don't know what you are. I think you must be a decent sort. And we probably agree on more than we disagree. I just ask you to think very carefully before you cast a vote for Palin. If you decide to do it, then so be it. That ticket will get at least two votes from Hawaii then, you and sansei.
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I just ask you to think very carefully before you cast a vote for Palin.
                          Palin's not running for President. Between her and Palpatine, I'd vote for "Leia."
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

That ticket will get at least two votes from Hawaii then, you and sansei.
                            Please. That ticket is not conservative enough. I've already made it clear I'm voting for the Libertarian party (not for its candidate).
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Please. That ticket is not conservative enough. I've already made it clear I'm voting for the Libertarian party (not for its candidate).
                              OMG, I saw the Glenn Beck interview with Bob Barr last week! I don't want to deliberately poke fun at any of the candidates, because I'm sure that they are all trying their hardest and standing for what they believe in (or what's profitable, or what's popular)...but Bob Barr?? Waaahahahaha! I don't even know how to begin to criticize that guy! Dang, libertarians, I mean, he sure does have a lot of experience, but the way he represented himself in that interview...? No way!

Sincere kudos for sticking with your party, Scrivener!
                              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Actually no, in a television interview about 6 months ago, she was asked about Ron Paul. She said she thought he would make a good President. I've lost the link.
                                Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                On MTV, back in February. She called him "cool," and admired his independence.
                                Link
                                So I’m assuming matapule, you are referring to the interview Leo has linked to. As you can see, Palin spends the majority of the exchange plugging Alaska and praising Mitt Romney. She absolutely does not say Paul ‘would make a good president,’ and simply gives a 19-second soundbite on him after being prompted by the reporter.

In any event, if Palin truly supports Paul, she’ll show up tonight at his rally in Minneapolis (just minutes away from the RNC) where more than 10,000 Paul supporters have gathered to support the candidate they feel is far better than McCain.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                                USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X