• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lanai Wind Farm

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    It's a no-brainer.
    But what's in it for us?

You don't need many guys to maintain the wind farm.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
      He could sell Lanai, preferably to the county or state.
      That's assuming the county or state even has that kind of money and interest. Isn't that route tantamount to more social welfare?

But what's in it for us?

You don't need many guys to maintain the wind farm.
      A viable economy where it's not in the red? While not many jobs created, there will still be jobs created. Does Murdock provide infrastructure benefits like how Molokai Ranch did for the island? And on a more bigger picture, having Oahu buy local wind generated power keeps the money within the state.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
        That's assuming the county or state even has that kind of money and interest. Isn't that route tantamount to more social welfare?
        Just don't like the idea of one man governing that much land and have that many influence in the local community level.

A viable economy where it's not in the red? While not many jobs created, there will still be jobs created. Does Murdock provide infrastructure benefits like how Molokai Ranch did for the island? And on a more bigger picture, having Oahu buy local wind generated power keeps the money within the state.
        Moloka'i Ranch don't give a rat's ass about wind energy. They only care about luxury home development. They just want to get the papers to develop and then sell it to some Oahu-based company like Stanford Carr Development to build luxury homes.

But then you didn't know that, huh?

As for money staying in the state, I'd rather it be funneling directly to people of Molokai, since the wind farm is on Molokai. Otherwise, Oahu, go dot your landscape with windmills. You have prime real estate up in the North.

Comment

Otherwise, Oahu, go dot your landscape with windmills. You have prime real estate up in the North.
          By any chance does this Murdock fellow owns land on Oahu? To me it would make more sense to build it on Oahu assuming that there is a place on Oahu that has a constant wind that always blows thru.

Comment

Moloka'i Ranch don't give a rat's ass about wind energy. They only care about luxury home development. They just want to get the papers to develop and then sell it to some Oahu-based company like Stanford Carr Development to build luxury homes.
            Are we talking Moloka‘i Ranch, ranch owner Moloka‘i Properties, or Moloka‘i Properties’ parent company, GuocoLeisure Ltd.? If you’re going to point a finger, Random, you should get it straight.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

But then you didn't know that, huh?

As for money staying in the state, I'd rather it be funneling directly to people of Molokai, since the wind farm is on Molokai. Otherwise, Oahu, go dot your landscape with windmills. You have prime real estate up in the North.
              I'm very aware of MR's land development plans but we are digressing. In fact, you asked what benefits a wind farm would have for Lanai and I pointed out if Murdock provides infrastructure benefits to Lanai much like MR did for Molokai, letting the man stay out of the red with a project that has little impact on the environment is a good thing.

But you seem to be clouded with hatred of the other islands. What has Molokai been up to recently to deal with the void left by MR? Is there a wind farm being proposed? Will you then be for it or against it? You may think I don't want wind farms on Oahu but I rather have that than the power plant smokestacks at Campbell, Pearl City, and right next to Aloha Marketplace. A windfarm isn't just about setting it up, it needs to be in high wind corridors to make them effective.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                Are we talking Moloka‘i Ranch, ranch owner Moloka‘i Properties, or Moloka‘i Properties’ parent company, GuocoLeisure Ltd.? If you’re going to point a finger, Random, you should get it straight.
                They're pretty much one and the same, unless Moloka'i Ranch decides to rebel against their parent. But even I don't see that happening.

Comment

But you seem to be clouded with hatred of the other islands. What has Molokai been up to recently to deal with the void left by MR?
                  Not much, since MR owns 40% of the island.

Is there a wind farm being proposed?
                  Yes, but not by Moloka'i Ranch.

A group here, Moloka'i Community Service Council, want to buy a part of MR's property and have been trying to raise $200 mil, but MR or its parent company Guoco says "No Sale." The group is being supported by First Wind, who wanted to build a wind farm on Moloka'i.

Will you then be for it or against it?
                  Still on the fence. I embraced green technology as long it benefit us on Moloka'i. The wind farm if built on Molokai will only benefit Oahu's demand for power. As I stated before, the wind farm is not going to be hooked to our island's power grid.

That and you don't need many people to run it. So while it will provide jobs, only a handful would be hired (assuming your hand have five fingers and an opposable thumb).

So while I want it, I just want it for us, not you guys. So, if there is a way for selling you the power, the revenue we get from you guys are going to credit to our own already expensive electrical bills.
                  Last edited by Random; September 3, 2008, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Not much, since MR owns 40% of the island.

Yes, but not by Moloka'i Ranch.

A group here, Moloka'i Community Service Council, want to buy a part of MR's property and have been trying to raise $200 mil, but MR or its parent company Guoco says "No Sale." The group is being supported by First Wind, who wanted to build a wind farm on Moloka'i.

Still on the fence. I embraced green technology as long it benefit us on Moloka'i. The wind farm if built on Molokai will only benefit Oahu's demand for power. As I stated before, the wind farm is not going to be hooked to our island's power grid.

That and you don't need many people to run it. So while it will provide jobs, only a handful would be hired (assuming your hand have five fingers and an opposable thumb).

So while I want it, I just want it for us, not you guys. So, if there is a way for selling you the power, the revenue we get from you guys are going to credit to our own already expensive electrical bills.
                    I think you're oversimplifying wind power generation by suggesting all you need is five fingers and an opposable thumb. Maintenance of the turbines and wind blades still require certain skill sets. Are you expecting some sort of industry that will employ by the thousands? If so, I like to hear of them.

Whether you like it or not, a wind farm needs to be profitable in order to exist. And scale is what makes it profitable. I don't know the specifics of Molokai's power needs but I think it's safe to say a wind farm producing at least 300 MW has excess for Molokai and will be sold to Oahu. As for crediting your utility bill, maybe after they recover the construction cost first.

Comment

I think you're oversimplifying wind power generation by suggesting all you need is five fingers and an opposable thumb.
                      I mean the number of employee hire you can count in one hand perhaps two.

Whether you like it or not, a wind farm needs to be profitable in order to exist. And scale is what makes it profitable. I don't know the specifics of Molokai's power needs but I think it's safe to say a wind farm producing at least 300 MW has excess for Molokai and will be sold to Oahu. As for crediting your utility bill, maybe after they recover the construction cost first.
                      Nothing's written in stone yet.

Comment

Meh. Kauai's ugly as it is. Better to be called the Windmill Isle rather than the Garden Isle, after a controlled burn.

I resemble that remark. I'm not ugly. What I say is ugly?

Comment

Working...
                        X