Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honesty thread - Anybody here eaten dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A dog's ass? Hmmm...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    So, how long would it take (day's/weeks) before your fellow man started looking like a ball park frank?
    hmmmmmm...about 2 hours
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

Re: Honesty thread - Anybody here eaten dog?

.. although that I'm asian.. NOPE, didn't even try to eat dog

Comment

Re: A dog's ass? Hmmm...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        So, how long would it take (day's/weeks) before your fellow man started looking like a ball park frank?
        With or without clothes?
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Hmm...according to the old stories, people taste like beaver.

Even got a spetchul type psychological disorder for it called 'Windigo psychosis'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendigo

Comment

If we are talking honestly here,,,,,,,,,,, then I don't know if I've eaten a dog.

During my time in the BRN. (navy) I was in Burma. On one occasion I was served up something which I took to be lamb stew. The head of the village pointed to a dog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It could have been one of them which I'd eaten.
            I hope not but I would be telling a lie to you good people if I said that at the time it was not delicious.
            Just gorra be careful in the future.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
              having just come from a trip in the philippines and walked around several "wet markets" where fresh meats, fish, etc are sold in the open air without the benefit of heat lamps, refrigeration, or sneeze guards, and where customers can reach out and touch a tenderloin with bare hands to decide whether to buy it, it is abundantly clear to me that we americans do not, generally, have a realistic or honest relationship with food.
              Well said, Cyn. When she has access to a full sized keyboard, watch out!
              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
              "
              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                Ever take a walk through Chinatown in Honolulu lately? I did just last week. While not nearly as shocking as what you'd find in other countries (or perhaps even other states), if you really look, there's enough of a visual slaughter-fest in the meat and fish markets there to open your mind and nostrils up. Surely at least a world beyond the tamed-down westernized environments of a typical Foodland, Safeway or Costco.
                I was in Chinatown on Monday. I went into a place called Maunakea Marketplace and wandered around and found this little food court that had vendors from several countries. It looked good and smelled good so I thought I'd eat something. I needed to use the 'head' first, so I walked up to one of the stands and asked this elderly man behind the counter where the bathroom was. As he was telling me, I noticed movement behind him. Looking over his shoulder to the floor of the kitchen area in back, I saw this huge rat. Now mind you, this was the first time I'd ever seen a rat. He was no "Ratatoullie" like in the cartoon movie. It was as big as a small dog and it's fur was wet and stuck together in clumps. It's back was hunched up in a curve, but it looked over at me and the old man and seemed to be a little shocked himself. Then he proceeded further past the door frame out of my sight. HeHe. It blew my mind a little at the moment. Not a lot, but it was enough to keep me from eating there now or in the future. But what a great memory. Damn, if I could've somehow gotten that whole moment in a photograph!

My Dad used to tell a story about his friends Dad who used to tell him the story. My Dad's friend was half-Chinese and his father was full Chinese. The old Chinaman had come to South Dakota, as many did, to work after gold was discovered in 1874. Up in Deadwood there is even an opium den under the streets you can take a tour through. Anyway, much like in Peshkwe's experience, he was invited to a Lakota Sioux feast. Apparently the elder in charge wanted to honor him by giving him first opportunity at the food and motioned to a large kettle of stew and said "Dig deep, puppy in the bottom". Whereupon Fliday's Dad said "I pluke".

I've had rattlesnake, but it's been so long ago I can't remember if it tasted like chicken.

Comment

It's real good luck if the puppy's head floats up and looks at you from the pot.

On the powwow circuit it's a fairly regular announcement for the arena director/MC to tell the spectators to not grab at the dancers regalia, no touching the feathers, ask before taking pictures and keep their dogs on the leash and out of the circle or the Ndn's will be eating puppy stew or B.L.T.'s (black lab on toast) for dinner that night.

Snake is kinda like a cross between chicken and scallops.

Comment

Not to worry, Jim, there are plenty more and bigger rat to get pics of next time you venture to CT.

Cyn, good post. Lot's of reality to digest, and I'm certainly one of those who live the meat fantasy, altho I deffinitely know and have respect for what has happened to place that perfect slice on my plate.

I've killed chickens, but had no enjoyment of the meal. But enjoyed rattlesnake for years, which I caught and killed. I wouldn't consider snuffing any other critter, personally. I listen to hunters such as Ted Nugent (who simply loves to kill) rap on about the spirituals of stalking and killing and munching the 'fallen', but don't really buy into it.

I worked at the Maunakea Marketplace years ago, selling live aqautics, and freaked when I turned to see a new worker chopped off a frogs head. Not cool. So, obviously I have the typical hypocritical attitude towards such.

I have a great problem with killing domesticated types of animals, even for food. Hate it, and the people that do it. But, I've lived the American dream where we generally don't have to suffer like others, and survival (as we've come to know and love/hate it) is just down the block at Burger Whatevers.

I'd be happy to live healthy without meat products, but meat seems to suit the human body well.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

i'll answer the question this way. some "people" beat other people, torture them, murder them, then eat em with fava beans. so, in that sense, no one can deny/confirm that "people" do what was claimed to be done to dogs to prepare them as food.

While I know there are some people vile enough to commit these acts on animals as well as humans, I was asking if it was a custom or tradition. My old coworker (who is married to a Filipino) claims it is, but he often says inflammatory things in order to get a rise out of people. I didn’t want to ask my Filipino friends, for fear of making them feel uncomfortable… hence, my post here. I do apologize. I realized, when I posted, that I would anger some people… but, wanted to know for sure, so I wouldn’t have these stupid thoughts in my head. Please don’t be angry at me for asking. If I don’t ask, I’ll continue to be ignorant.

have you ever had foie gras? if the idea of force-feeding an animal to "clean it out" gives you nightmares, you had better never let your tongue and belly know the luscious joy of a fattened duck liver, otherwise you put yourself in the category of "hypocrite."

I refuse to eat foie gras. My reference to nightmares is picturing my old dogs being tortured. But yes, I know I’m a hypocrite. Definitely. I’m a carnivore, and I turn a deaf ear whenever there’s mention of abuse to pigs/cattle/chickens in slaughter houses.

god, i really hate this stereotype. i'll say it here again: it irks me that filipinos are painted in hawaii as if we, rabid and savage brown folk that we are, are the sole dog eaters of the world. only in the last twenty years or so was consuming dog meat banned in germany. it is well documented that south korea banned dog meat restaurants to "sanitize" seoul in preparation for the olympics. eating dog is a practice known to every continent in the world, without exception. even switzerland has dog meat sausages and jerky to this day.

i will never deny that there are some of my people who like a bit of grilled fido on a sunday afternoon. some who do this are stupid enough to steal a dog from a country club and slaughter it. what sickens, saddens and incenses me is that there are those who purposely use this bit of truth to denigrate all my people and all my culture, reduce us to being that spooky, wierd and evil "other" and that even more folk, like unthinking, joyfully ignorant lemmings, perpetuate the racism.

I don’t feel Filipinos are rabid and savage! Looking at the history and culture of any ethnic group reveals some kind of savagery toward animals and humanity. I also realize there are other ethnic groups that eat dogs, as well as cats, guinea pigs, and other cute furries.

Again, I apologize. If anyone else would like to berate me, please do!

Comment

nope, never ate dog. but, i think even the hawaiians did?

one only needs to "travel" with anthony bourdain or andrew zimmerman to see what others are eating. andrew zimmerman will eat anything set before him and is especially fond of animal brains and testicles. he likes bugs, too and/or anything that moves. to each his own.

i guess the only thing i've eaten that might be considered a delicacy or exotic to others would be raw crab.
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        reflect, repent and reboot.
                        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

You should have seen my face as I read all of the replies. lol

I have never eaten dog...and don't really plan on trying it.

I know that other cultures eat food that westerners may consider taboo or just gross.

But I can't imagine eating a dog that was originally raised as a pet. Poor Fido!
                          Bitter & Sweet....all in one bite.

Comment

flickr

An email from God:
                            To: People of Earth
                            Date: 9/04/2007
                            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                            God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                              TAT, you are one sick puppy...

Comment

Originally posted by bittersweet View Post
                                I know that other cultures eat food that westerners may consider taboo or just gross.
                                I think it's mostly the fact that dogs are just unsuitable for large scale herd animals like cows, sheep, chickens or pig. Even if you had large tracts of land to raise dogs, you will need high fences that need to be check almost on a daliy basis since they can dig under the fence or try to either climb or make a break in the fence.

Feeding them is going to be problem, they don't eat grass as their main source of food, they are meat eaters, you might as well raise cows, sheep, chickens or pigs instead.

And if you got too many dogs there will be a lot of fights between them for food or mating.

Comment

Working...
                                X