Statehood and Pearl Harbor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statehood and Pearl Harbor

Two major issues forming Hawaii's history are Hawaii becoming a state and the attack on Pearl Harbor. I was listening to some "mature" folk talking about their memories about Hawaii becoming a State and about Pearl Harbor. I realize that mostly all of you are younguns but I was curious ~ do any of you have any memories of Hawaii becoming a State and/or of the attack on Pearl Harbor? Do you remember where you first heard about it or what you saw, if you saw it? Regarding Pearl Harbor, I have an uncle who recalls seeing the Japanese planes flying low overhead and not realizing that they were enemy planes and that the attack was real. C'mon, if you were around back then, share your stories for posterity.

Re: Statehood and Pearl Harbor

Great topics Adri, I hope many will contribute.

I've long realized that all from "the greatest generation" have
    rememberances to tell, and they need to be heard. We've lost to the grave untold amounts of interesting and important historical facts and antedotes that could have helped to further shape minds and our world. Those who served our country in various manners have yet another awesome set of experiences to unfold to those down the line. What a shame everybody hasn't had the chance to tell their 'story'.

But, here's a chance to rectify a little of that.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I was 7 yrs. old and totally oblivious to statehood. Never had a clue.

My grandmother's house, in Wahiawa, got hit by bullets from the attacking planes. The house was finally demolished in the late 70's and still had bullet holes in some of the ceiling and walls. Grandma and Grandpa were already at church so weren't home at the time.

They ran a laundry out of their home, during those years. Downstairs at the back of the house still had an old wood burning furo which my grandma converted to a hot water wash tub for clothes. There was always a bar of naptha and a bottle of blueing next to the tub. She line dried the clothes on a clothes line strung between 2 "T's" made of hemangous pieces of lumber, about 10"x10" around. Those finally came down in the early 60's. Lichen covered and full of holes filled with lizard eggs and carpenter bees.

Comment

I wasn’t around on December 7, 1941, but my Mom was. And like Da Rolling Eye, she lived in Wahiawa. On that morning, my Mom and her sister (one of my Aunties) was outside when they saw little “poofs” sprouting up in the yard (my Grandfather had a large lot, including garden). The little “poofs” in the dirt were caused by falling bullets from the attacking planes. My Mom and my Auntie had never seen anything like that and thought it was cool, so they chased the little "poofs," trying to catch them. Good thing they didn’t catch up. Or I wouldn’t be here today.

As for statehood, I barely remember it. I remember the announcement on that school day on March 12 of the passage of Hawaii Admission Act. I barely remember the various discussions on television leading up to the referendum in June. And the only thing I remember of the formal acceptance in August 1959 was that famous Star-Bulletin extra issue photograph.

The one thing I do remember is the theme of 49. Hawaii and Alaska were in a race to become the 49th State. Hawaii lost. I remember going to several 49th State Fair (before it became the 50th State Fair). And I always thought 49ers Inn in Aiea (where I grew up) was named because of that theme.

Comment

Thank you Ron

Da Rolling Eye: My grandmother did not run a laundry but your description of your grandparents' home really brought back memories of my grandma's home. She always line dried her laundry and had a bottle of bluing. By the time I came around, her furo was filled with hot water from a pipe but I grew up hearing stories of her old wood burning furo (and how she sometimes threw dirty cast iron pans into the coals and when they cooled, she could bang them on the ground and all the "crust" would fall out and the pan would be clean and how she sometimes put potatoes around the edges of the coals to cook).

Honoruru: Interesting, my mom also said that she recalls statehood being announced when she was in school (that's where she first heard it). She doesn't remember the discussions about statehood. Those discussions must have been fascinating!

Comment

Interesting stories. I was born 2 months before statehood.

My parents were young and living in the Philippines when Japan attacked there before hitting Pearl Harbor.
            My mom mentioned once that she remembered my grandmother climbing up a tree while toting her along, and she could hear gunfire and bullets whizzing by her. Must've really been horrifying for them.
            ===================================

Lifetime fan of the world famous Dallas Cowboys.

Comment

I was born a month before statehood. When Pearl Harbor was bombed, my mom was 2yrs and my dad was 9yrs old. He lived in Kahuku and remembers that day very well. Remembers his sister telling the family that she had learned of the bombing through the radio....they were too poor to afford a tv. They painted all the windows black and he could hear the sputtering of the planes.
              Lovena

Comment

Working...
              X