Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kim Gennaula says Aloha to KGMB and Hello to Kapiolani

Originally posted by sin View Post
    As for her replacement, I think Keahi can solo anchor for a while. If Joe Moore can pull it off why not him?
    Because we dont' want another "Joe Moore."
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
      Because we dont' want another "Joe Moore."
      Amen to that!
      Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine!

Comment

Offhand the only other anchor I can think of that usually solo anchored was Bob Sevey in recent memory. I'm not counting weekend anchors of course.

Aj

Comment

As for her replacement, I think Keahi can solo anchor for a while. If Joe Moore can pull it off why not him? Otherwise I know Stacy likes her weekend part-time gig and considers herself lucky to be able to be almost a full time mom while having a successful career as well. And I live on the mainland so I don't see the KGMB morning news and don't know how well Grace Lee is doing or whether she'd be considered for the main anchor position.
          It seems as though KGMB has built their morning show around Grace, Steve, and Jeff (the morning show's one year anniversary is coming up on the 15th FYI), so I don't think it'd be wise to move Grace into the main anchor position. But you never know, weirder things have happened.

I was thinking Ramsay Wharton as a possible replacement. She's been a really hard worker since joining KGMB, but she also has a young child to care for too.

Comment

Originally posted by mike View Post
            While Kim has proven herself a great anchor and stiff competition and I wish her and her family the best, I loved this quote in Wayne's article today, especially coming from the station that has built its brand as "Hawaii's Severe Weather Station"

"Guy is totally supportive. Doing weather, he can do dinner breaks, since WEATHER DOESN'T CHANGE".

Aloha,
            Mike
            I found that quote hilarious as well Mike! Why do we have weather reports then?

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
              I found that quote hilarious as well Mike! Why do we have weather reports then?
              I so agree! Well shoots, I almost cried watching her make that announcement last night, but I'm a mom of two kids, too, so do I fault her for this decision? NO WAY!

I'm really happy for her. Fundraising, however, is no easy bus pass, that's for sure! She'll be working hard, but at a job where she'll be doing so much good for Hawaii. There is some real peace to be achieved when your work translates into helping others.

So to my surfing buddy Guy, I say, 'EH! NO KICK OUT JES YET!' (Gosh I don't even want to say how long it's been since I surfed with Guy! LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!)

Guy is one of the reasons I tune into Hawaii's Severe Weather Station. I'm not sure why the weather is more severe there, but maybe if he loosened his tie!!!
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by l14dap View Post
                It seems as though KGMB has built their morning show around Grace, Steve, and Jeff (the morning show's one year anniversary is coming up on the 15th FYI), so I don't think it'd be wise to move Grace into the main anchor position. But you never know, weirder things have happened.
                I think Grace, Steve, and Jeff have wonderful chemistry together. And they all make the show fun, so I hope they won't move Grace to the evenings.

Comment

Originally posted by bcr1652 View Post
                  I think Grace, Steve, and Jeff have wonderful chemistry together. And they all make the show fun, so I hope they won't move Grace to the evenings.
                  I don't know if that would be appropriate with a murder/suicide story on today's news.

Comment

Re: Kim Gennaula replacement

I like grace lee.

the article said kgmb is looking outside too. what other hawaii newscasters could you see doing that job? what about Jodie leong. she was a weekday broadcaster before she went to khon. she is atractive.

i also like Jill kuramoto or dianne oko. i think they work on the weekends.

Comment

Re: Kim Gennaula replacement

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      I like grace lee.

the article said kgmb is looking outside too. what other hawaii newscasters could you see doing that job? what about Jodie leong. she was a weekday broadcaster before she went to khon. she is atractive.

i also like Jill kuramoto or dianne oko. i think they work on the weekends.
                      All good choices, Brad, but I have to agree with sin.

I say unless Maria Quiban wants to return to Hawaii tv let Keahi go at it alone.
                      Jodie, Jill and Diane have all had their chance to muscle their moxie. Though I agree they are all top-tier pros, the proof is in the pudding. None have been able to significantly boost their stations’ ratings. Grace, on the other hand, is clearly part of the KGMB brand, however...

Originally posted by l14dap View Post
                      KGMB has built their morning show around Grace, Steve, and Jeff (the morning show's one year anniversary is coming up on the 15th FYI), so I don't think it'd be wise to move Grace into the main anchor position.
                      Really, people seem to forget the target is Joe, and something tells me KGMB isn’t in the “rebuilding” mood. You need “heavy-hitter” talent to knock that stalwart off the block. Will Leslie Wilcox put PBS on hold and come out of retirement?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

As much as I love Leslie, I think she's fine where she is and doing good things for PBS. That and she's not going to bring in the up and coming younger viewers who would rather get their news from the internet.

There's a chance with Keahi, who is a good looking guy that has a brain and can report from the field if needed. That's why I suggested Maria, because she's been working on the mainland and been gaining a lot of experience and could probably pull off the transition from weather to news now. She couldn't have done that before when she was at KHNL.

As for not wanting another Joe Moore, that wasn't my point to having Keahi solo anchor. I'm just saying he's a capable guy that viewers wouldn't have any problem watching if he's doing the solo anchor gig.

Anyway, that's my KGMB bumper sticker that i have in mind. Tucker/Quiban 2008!

Comment

I think the names you suggest from the other stations wouldnt work at least immediately because I think you have to be off local television for 6 months or more because of that competitive clause agreement.

Wouldnt Maria be taking a big cut in pay by moving from the 2nd market to the what 87th market?? I'm sure even the meteorologists make more in LA than they do here??

Aj

Comment

Whoever takes Kim's place will have some big shoes to fill.

I always hoped Jade Moon would come back. I miss her.

Comment

As much as I love Leslie, I think she's fine where she is and doing good things for PBS. That and she's not going to bring in the up and coming younger viewers who would rather get their news from the internet.
                              sin, I think you are overly optimistic that the younger viewers could be weaned from their Internet preference for any local affiliate news station. The anti-MSM movement is simply too ingrained in them. They’ll rely on the local station websites, on a casual basis, if anything.

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                              names ... from the other stations wouldnt work at least immediately because I think you have to be off local television for 6 months or more because of that competitive clause agreement.
                              Which is why Leslie would be the most prudent choice. However...

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
                              I always hoped Jade Moon would come back. I miss her.
                              As do I. And the same qualifier I gave Grace applies even more prominently to Jade. However, she also has a young son and I won’t go into the issues, but knowing Jade personally, I can tell you it’s a big deal.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

I gotta say that losing Kim is a HUGE hit for Kgmb.

Being that her contract was up and I'm assuming she was in re-negotiation talks, I wonder how hard it was for her to get what she wanted....especially with the economic downturn?

Just thinking out loud. Either way, I'm happy for Kim and for her family.

God first, family second.

Comment

Working...
                                X