Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kim Gennaula says Aloha to KGMB and Hello to Kapiolani

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    I think the names you suggest from the other stations wouldnt work at least immediately because I think you have to be off local television for 6 months or more because of that competitive clause agreement.

Wouldnt Maria be taking a big cut in pay by moving from the 2nd market to the what 87th market?? I'm sure even the meteorologists make more in LA than they do here??

Aj
    Ahh, but Maria isn't on local tv, therefore she has no noncompete clause for honolulu. Her noncompete would only affect her if she tried to work for another Los Angeles tv station.

As for pay, there are lots of anchors who would jump down from a big market to a medium market for the chance to be a main anchor instead of say a weekend anchor or meteorogist position. That said, I have no idea how much money she's making up there or whether KGMB could match it.

As for my wishful thinking of getting the younger audience away from online news, yeah, I guess it is wishful thinking. Gotta try something though. I read a study once that stated that once the last baby boomer dies that will be the end of print news readers. I suspect a similar fate for tv news audiences as well.

Comment

I don't think tv news is in danger of becoming extinct, especially due to online news.

People are lazy and would rather watch something on tv than read it on a computer screen.

That's just my .02

Plus you can never beat video and sound when it comes to a truly compelling, or tragic story.

Imagine the Sept. 11th attacks being reported only online.

Comment

If the online news people download their video to that tiny, screen on the computer monitor, in my humble, uneducated opinion I think it still applies.

Why watch a news story on a computer monitor when I can see it just by turning on the tv

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart View Post
          People are lazy and would rather watch something on tv than read it on a computer screen
          Hmmm... I didn’t want to take this off topic, but since our resident “online media advocate” has been banned from HT for sometime, I’ll make his argument for him. How many of today’s generation do you see glued to the t.v. as opposed to the computer screen?

you can never beat video and sound when it comes to a truly compelling, or tragic story.
          ...all of which you can find online. It’s called youtube. The phenomenom has forced t.v. news station from the mid-markets on up to make clips of their stories (or even entire newscasts) available online.

Originally posted by foolish heart View Post
          Why watch a news story on a computer monitor when I can see it just by turning on the tv
          That’s easy. If you want to catch it on t.v., you must be near a set at exactly 5pm (or 6pm, 10pm, etc.) In contrast, you can watch an online video 24/7. Heck, if you have Clearwire, you can watch it in the Safeway® restroom.

[/offtopic]

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

I was referring to someone from the other local stations heading over to Channel 9. Has Maria ever anchored before? I don't want to speak for her but she seems to be happy being in LA.

Aj

Comment

So wait, who's banned from ht? Did I miss something recently?

And as to marias anchor experience, she has just as much as kim did. Remember, gennaula was a weather girl turned news anchor too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                I was referring to someone from the other local stations heading over to Channel 9. Has Maria ever anchored before? I don't want to speak for her but she seems to be happy being in LA.

Aj
                Isn't Maria Quiban "too hot for tv news?" Malika Dudley would make a hurricane striking Hawaii sound sexy.

Comment

Mahalo KIM, I really enjoyed watching you give me the new`s all these years.
                  Your like a Leslie Wilcox on the news channel, someone I like to tune in too!!!
                  I will miss seeing you on KGMB, but the good thing is you will have more family time with your keiki`s. Best Wishes!!!!! OGGBOY
                  bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
                    Mahalo KIM ...Your like a Leslie Wilcox on the news channel, someone I like to tune in too!!!
                    Thanks, oggboy. Like I said earlier, Leslie is really the only woman with the numbers to replace Kim. Maria Quiban would be more like a “rebuilding mode” choice. It would take awhile for viewers to acclimate to her, despite her previous stint in the islands. You could make the same argument for Ku‘ualoha Taylor, who somehow, wasn’t mentioned in the same breath.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                      You could make the same argument for Ku‘ualoha Taylor, who somehow, wasn’t mentioned in the same breath.
                      I saw her doing a weather report segment on a San Diego news station a few years ago. You could still hear a slight local sista accent like Liz Chun has. This accent is probably gone by now.
                      Last edited by Walkoff Balk; September 7, 2008, 12:19 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                        I saw [Ku‘ualoha Taylor] doing a weather report segment on a San Diego news station a few years ago. You could still hear a slight local sista accent like Liz Chun has. This accent is probably gone by now.
                        Probably? Did you not click the link? The video is from last week Wednesday.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                          Thanks, oggboy. Like I said earlier, Leslie is really the only woman with the numbers to replace Kim. Maria Quiban would be more like a “rebuilding mode” choice. It would take awhile for viewers to acclimate to her, despite her previous stint in the islands. You could make the same argument for Ku‘ualoha Taylor, who somehow, wasn’t mentioned in the same breath.

Never met Kuu and am not familiar with her work, which is why I didn't mention her.

As for why I picked Maria, she and Keahi are very similar. Both in their 30's, good looking people who did good work in large mainland markets before returning home to their roots. (This is assuming Maria comes back of course). Maria would be transitioning from weather to news, but that's exactly what Kim did in case anyone has forgotten already.

So no, I wouldn't consider her hire a "rebuilding" move. Leslie Wilcox is a legend and would of course bring in many viewers, but of a certain age group I think. And please note that no one is a bigger fan of Leslie than I. She stuck up for me while I was working at KHON and I will always love her for that.

However, the key is to hold old viewers and bring in new ones and I think the Tucker/Quiban mix would do that best. I guess Tucker/Taylor would do well too but Maria has more experience so I would go with her.

Comment

I wouldnt mind seeing Teri Okita back on KGMB9 News.
                            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Maybe Kalihiboy has this somewhere. . . just before Kim became KGMB's weather anchor, she was in a bank commercial, think it was American Savings, as part of a couple with dreams and aspirations of buying a house.

A common myth was how a majority of the TV audience thought Kim was a local girl, even though she was from Texas, and if I recall, went to UT around the same time as former KGMBer Dave Carlin

Comment

I think Kim is from Arizona but went to school (college) or worked in Texas.

I have her doing the weather at Channel 9, she goes back to the days when Bob Jones and Jade Moon where anchoring together.

Probably have that ad tvguy mentions, but would have no idea where it is at the moment. I seem to recall seeing it before.

Isnt Maria 40 by now? Still young for sure. I still think the good pay in LA trumps any ideas of coming back here. Maybe I'll ask her about coming back here sometime along.

Teri Okita is working for CBS, which is probably a dream job for most anchors in the business to work for the national network.

Aj

Comment

Working...
                                X