Gary and Pam to 6pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gary and Pam to 6pm

TV biz inside joke - all you have to do is look at the first 3 letters of the word "consultant" to figure it all out.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
      Meh. You don't have to be THAT big to be one of the o-line.

As for Kekaula, been wondering when he's going to be a yokozuna.
      Why doesn't a local news team go big with Lyle Garderia, Robert Kekaula, and Chris Hart?

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
        When I had to deal with consultants, the "average" life of a news director was about3-4 years. Tod's 7 years is a lot in the life of a news director under consultants and I do believe that gives him tenure beyond Dennisoion, Archer and Silva.
        Dennison, Archer and Silva are all 2006 hires. Silva, of course was already at KHON. I believe Dennison was once KHON news director awhile back.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
          Dennison, Archer and Silva are all 2006 hires. Silva, of course was already at KHON. I believe Dennison was once KHON news director awhile back.
          Hehe. You talk about it like it’s ancient history. All of that stuff is still fresh in my mind. I remember Dan left KHON about the same time one of KGMB9’s top talents Rob Young left the t.v. news biz for the red-hot real estate market (which was at its peak at the time).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

I think in the news business 2006 is ancient history.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
              I wonder what else will shake out at KITV and the other stations.
              This just in... Shawn Ching is leaving KITV, and will put his law degree to good use. Looks like mel nailed it upthread. Sad to see him leave, but after being bumped from 6 p.m., I guess he figured he'd gotten as far as KITV was going to let him go.

Comment

I would not at all be surprised to see Paula leave as well. And then where would that leave Robert K?

Comment

Believe Paula's husband still works for the station, she and Catherine Cruz have been there since around 1984. I hope Paula remains she is a fixture on local television for so many years.

Sad to see Shawn departing, but wish him well in his future endeavors.

Aj

Comment

Yes, Paula's husband Bob is KITV's head cameraman I believe. Or was at some point.

Best of luck to Shawn, there are many fine lawyers out there who were once journalists such as Bruce Voss or Bambi Weil aka Judge Hifo. I wonder what kind of law he'll practice, criminal, civil, environmental, etc.

And I wonder if Paula will stay, and if so, will KITV keep her at the 10 p.m. newscast or move her elsewhere? And if they do will she get the same pay? Or will they increase her reporting duties during the day since she has more time? Whatever the case, she is one of the kindest people in the biz and I wish her nothing but success. Like Leslie Wilcox her demeanor on air was the same in person so hopefully everything works out for her.

Comment

I switched to KGMB for the 6:00pm news the moment Pam and Gary took over. Their style is fine for the 5:00pm news, which I've always felt can be fluffier than the 6:00pm show. But after two nights of watching them, it seems like they've just brought fluffy over to 6:00pm. The final three minute segment (three minutes! Out of twenty-two total news minutes or so!) is now devoted to a soft feature rather than hard news.

Grumble grumble.

Good luck to Shawn and Paula.
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
                        Best of luck to Shawn, there are many fine lawyers out there who were once journalists such as Bruce Voss or Bambi Weil aka Judge Hifo. I wonder what kind of law he'll practice, criminal, civil, environmental, etc.
                        His past area of expertise was labor and employment law, so he might stick with that.

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
                          Whatever the case, she is one of the kindest people in the biz and I wish her nothing but success. Like Leslie Wilcox her demeanor on air was the same in person so hopefully everything works out for her.
                          I would echo that sentiment. I left the news biz 12 years ago, but knew Paula back then and continue to see her from time to time in my "new" career, and she's a class act in every way.

Comment

I've known and have worked with, at various stages, with Paula and Bob since we were all able to honestly say we were in our 20s, and yes she is as nice in person as she is on air

Shawn is joining the law firm of Kobayashi Sugita & Goda, specializing in commercial litigation.

Comment

In regards to Shawn leaving...

Another scenario to consider is that perhaps he told management he was going to pursue law - and - that triggered the Pam/Gary move to 6pm as a natural shift of talent.

At the very least if he expressed a desire for more law and order, it could have added to management's thoughts on lineups.

Just a thought - aloha!

Comment

Originally posted by RemoteControl View Post
                                In regards to Shawn leaving...

Another scenario to consider is that perhaps he told management he was going to pursue law - and - that triggered the Pam/Gary move to 6pm as a natural shift of talent.

At the very least if he expressed a desire for more law and order, it could have added to management's thoughts on lineups.

Just a thought - aloha!

That could have happened, but I think the scenario was this:

For years Shawn knew that expectations of him were high at KITV, that he was the one who supposedly would dethrone Joe Moore and bring them to first place. But then ratings slipped and KITV wasn't even 2nd place anymore, it was KGMB, and weak ABC programming wasn't helping either.

At the same time he was smart enough to start preparing for his future, getting his masters and going into law school. Did he look into doing news in the mainland as well? Maybe. But the bottom line is he was ready for this day and had plan B all set when the decision was made. Out of everyone in the business he probably had the best head on his shoulder when it came to preparing for the future in my book.

TV news is a fun and challenging career but not a very secure one. You're at the mercy of ratings and consultants and new management. At least he had a good career after it was all said and done and now he's ready for a new one.

Comment

Working...
                                X