Gary and Pam to 6pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gary and Pam to 6pm

Those in the media business, should follow Shawn's lead and always have a "plan B" ready.

You never know in this cut-throat industry, what the next day will hold for you.

Often it seems one is just a paycheck away or a story away from being jobless.

Always have a Plan B.

Shawn, I am sure, is probably very disappointed in the change to the 10pm show, but I am sure he is not sweating as heavily as someone who has no safety net or secondary career.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
      Those in the media business, should follow Shawn's lead and always have a "plan B" ready.

You never know in this cut-throat industry, what the next day will hold for you.

Always have a Plan B.
      This is the most valuable advice anyone in the industry can take to heart. Don’t think it can’t happen to you. This is television. Don’t be so naïve as to believe skill and competence will always be rewarded. Some of those involved in making these ‘cut-throat’ decisions don’t even see you during the course of your workday.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Always have a Plan B.
        That explains my weird career in the radio/audio/music biz. I've never had a "Plan A." I've spent more than thirty years somehow ending up in the right places at the right times, knowing/meeting the right people and developing the right mix of unusual, creative and difficult-to-explain skills.

Yes - I know I am an anomaly, and have been very fortunate. My personal flexibility is a factor. But I would not recommend it as a "plan," and would recommend following pumpkinboy's advice instead.

Unless you also enjoy following your own less-than-predictable path. I'll never get monetarily wealthy, but in exchange, I have a life rich in unforgettable experiences.

Comment

Word pumpkinboy, well said.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            This is the most valuable advice anyone in the industry can take to heart. Don’t think it can’t happen to you. This is television. Don’t be so naïve as to believe skill and competence will always be rewarded. Some of those involved in making these ‘cut-throat’ decisions don’t even see you during the course of your workday.
            So true

If anyone needs more proof just look at the Honolulu Advertiser contract talks.

I just hope and pray that the above mentioned situation works out for all involved.
            Last edited by pumpkinboy; September 12, 2008, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Now that I think about it I'm more concerned about paula than I am shawn. he's got his law degree and masters in polisci to fall back on. Hope she can get a gig like kim gennalua did. I would think there are many hawaii companies that would be happy to have her as a spokesperson.

Comment

And, indeed, Paula already does tons for Hawaiian Airlines (inflight videos)

Comment

Anchoring or not, I think Paula is still a fixture at KITV. Hard to imagine Merrie Monarch coverage without her.

Comment

Well, yeah, but haven't they been trying to work Mahealani into MMonarch some? Or maybe I'm hallucinating.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a big fan of Akana/Ching/Kekaula. They should have left it alone, slow and steady (usually) wins the race, altho' KITV is not making dents in the numbers, except at 5. Hence the temptation to "tinker" - but this is more than tinkering. Phooey...

KITV does have the best reporting crew; one might think there should be a leadership change? I think the news director there has seniority among his counterparts - hard to believe.

Comment

I think this move by KITV will backfire, I personally love Shawn and Paula at 6pm and have switched to KHNL for the 6pm news.

Or KGMB.

To me, this was a knee-jerk reaction to Kim's departure. I dunno. I'm nobody.

Comment

Believe Tod P. has been news director at the station for about 7 years now.

Aj

Comment

I think this move by KITV will backfire, I personally love Shawn and Paula at 6pm and have switched to KHNL for the 6pm news. Or KGMB. To me, this was a knee-jerk reaction to Kim's departure.
                          I can agree with that. About Kim, that is. But as far as your assessment about the move backfiring, I think the bigger issue is this: isn’t KITV and KGMB’s greatest asset their substance? You watch KHNL, and yeah, they have a high story-count of 30-second “where’s the beef?” blurbs. But KITV and KGMB actually has veteran reporters who go in-depth and deliver us some real meat — in many cases scooping the local dailies.

The point is, the consultants really need to get off this idea of who’s sitting in the anchor chair. If they really wanted to boost their ratings, they should look at how KGMB was able to boost theirs. “Severe Weather” may seem corny, but it’s a strategy that can be implemented throughout the entire newscast. In contrast, What is “island television news”? The fact that Mahea, Paula, and Kekaula happen to be native Hawaiian?! I learn a lot more by watching KGMB9 Sunrise’ segment called ‘Aha‘i ‘Ōlelo Ola. How is/was KITV’s strategy implemented into their newscast?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                            I can agree with that. About Kim, that is. But as far as your assessment about the move backfiring, I think the bigger issue is this: isn’t KITV and KGMB’s greatest asset their substance? You watch KHNL, and yeah, they have a high story-count of 30-second “where’s the beef?” blurbs. But KITV and KGMB actually has veteran reporters who go in-depth and deliver us some real meat — in many cases scooping the local dailies.

The point is, the consultants really need to get off this idea of who’s sitting in the anchor chair. If they really wanted to boost their ratings, they should look at how KGMB was able to boost theirs. “Severe Weather” may seem corny, but it’s a strategy that can be implemented throughout the entire newscast. In contrast, What is “island television news”? The fact that Mahea, Paula, and Kekaula happen to be native Hawaiian?! I learn a lot more by watching KGMB9 Sunrise’ segment called ‘Aha‘i ‘Ōlelo Ola. How is/was KITV’s strategy implemented into their newscast?
                            Since KITV has reporters who often go beyond the surface story and into the real issues (Darryl Huff, Keoki Kerr, Denby Fawcett) how about this?

"KITV4: The investigation station."

A simple sentence that speaks volumes.

Comment

If KITV could also bring Mina Sugimoto into the fold, that would be awesome.

Then KITV would own the court beat, political beat and police beat!

Comment

When I had to deal with consultants, the "average" life of a news director was about3-4 years. Tod's 7 years is a lot in the life of a news director under consultants and I do believe that gives him tenure beyond Dennisoion, Archer and Silva.

Comment

Working...
                                X