Local "perennial" candidates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local "perennial" candidates.

Just read in today's Advertiser that Ollie Lunasco is running for state rep,....AGAIN! Yeah, I know. He actually was a state rep for several terms during the 1970s. But since he was voted out, he never got a second chance, despite more than a dozen attempts at a comeback. (Neighborhood board positions don't count.)

His perennial campaigning has got me thinking about all those other candidates, both past and present, who kept running unsucessfully time and time again. Some of them won a few local races, but for the most part, they were also-rans. All of them were persistent, if nothing else.

Ike Sutton
    Ken Harding
    Lillian Hong
    Kekoa Kaapu
    Guy Goodness (if you remember him, then you're an oldtimer!)
    Bernard Akana (poor guy. Was diagnosed with cancer and died shortly after finally winning an election.... as Big Island's mayor!)
    Jerry Souza

Are there any other perennial candidates that people remember?
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Local "perennial" candidates.

I can think of a few you did not include, from Mark Terry out in Hawai‘i Kai with his infamous sign and umbrella on the side of Kalaniana‘ole Highway... to mayoral candidates like nuclear power advocate Daniel Cunningham, and the Green Party’s Jim Brewer.

The most interesting name you brought up, though, seems to be Ken Harding, who most recently locked horns with Joey Monahan in the ’06 Race for State House. In a recent Honolulu Advertiser article, he questions whether Kalihi’s reputation as a crime-ridden community is wrapped up in the fact that it has so many housing projects. That would be an interesting topic of debate for HT's own city council candidate Aunty Lynn (a Mayor Wright’s Housing tenant) and her incumbent opponent, Romy Cachola.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Jim Brewer, how could I forget!

Maybe because I haven't seen his big ole ugly truck parked next to Kam Shopping Center or in front of Kaimuki High School lately.

Speaking of third party candidates, there's also the Libertarian's Lloyd Mallan.

One name that will be familiar to voters in Kalihi is Ken Akamine. Many times a candidate, but never a winner.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

That popolo guy over by Salt Lake (I forget his name), back during the seventies.
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

How many of them have shows on Olelo? Whatever happened to Bu'Laia?

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
            That popolo guy over by Salt Lake (I forget his name), back during the seventies.
            Are you referring to Charlie Campbell, by any chance?

Comment

I wasn't really too surprised to see Lillian Hong on the ballot...again.
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                I wasn't really too surprised to see Lillian Hong on the ballot...again.
                Honestly, I really would like to know what Lillian’s agenda is. I know she posts on this board, so hopefully she sees this. Surely, she must realize that in order to win for any office in Honolulu, you have to actually campaign. I readily admit to being an active supporter of her opponent Aunty Lynn. But that being said, I can honestly say, Lillian is hardly a visible presence in the communities she’s trying to represent. No offense, or anything. It’s just curious.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Just keep trying, apply at the last minute but not a minute too late and hope someone pulls a Kirk Caldwell so even if you only get 15 votes all by homeless drug addicts you payed, you're in.

Comment

Working...
                  X